Northern Computers Ripoff

tbayshopper
Just wondering if theres anyone else from tbay that's had problems with Northern Computers. They overcharged me for having my computer fixed and the job wasn't done right. They also did some unautherized work they charged me for. I don't think i'm ever going back there. I was just wondering if anyone else has similar problems? Could I sue them? I dont like being scamed but I don't know what to do.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by tbayshopper View Post

Just wondering if theres anyone else from tbay that's had problems with Northern Computers. They overcharged me for having my computer fixed and the job wasn't done right. They also did some unautherized work they charged me for. I don't think i'm ever going back there. I was just wondering if anyone else has similar problems? Could I sue them? I dont like being scamed but I don't know what to do.

You certainly don't have to pay for any unauthorized work. If the job isn't done right you can go back to have it done properly. You could possibly sue basing a case in inept work and unauthorized work but honestly that kind of time and effort isn't really worth it.

I suggest going up the food chain with your complaint to see if you can get an acceptable solution (fixed properly and refund for unauthorized work) before considering anything else.

gerryh
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

You certainly don't have to pay for any unauthorized work. If the job isn't done right you can go back to have it done properly. You could possibly sue basing a case in inept work and unauthorized work but honestly that kind of time and effort isn't really worth it.

I suggest going up the food chain with your complaint to see if you can get an acceptable solution (fixed properly and refund for unauthorized work) before considering anything else.

I didn't wanna reply to this thread as the person hasn't given enough information. I have seen far too many complaints about "work done" or "not done" , and "authorized" and "unauthorized" to know that a lot of it has to do with the consumer not reading what they are signing when it comes to work authorization.

I'd like to see more info, without it, I would just put this down to "buyers remorse" and file it away with all the other whiners.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I didn't wanna reply to this thread as the person hasn't given enough information. I have seen far too many complaints about "work done" or "not done" , and "authorized" and "unauthorized" to know that a lot of it has to do with the consumer not reading what they are signing when it comes to work authorization.

There is always that consideration.

tbayshopper
I took my laptop to get fixed cuz it wasnt turning on. They told me the would look at it for half an hour and see what happened. They told me it would cost me $40. I asked them if they couldnt fix it could they get my pictures back and they said they would try but it would be an extra amount. They gave me a bill for $120 but they didn't fix my computer or get my pictures. When i asked why so much they told me it took extra time for the tech to take my laptop apart but he didnt see anything wrong with it. When i asked about my pictures they said i still had to pay for trying to get them even if they didnt get them. I didnt autherize them to work longer than half an hour because i don't make a lot of money. Now i still don't have a working computer or all the pictures i took and i had to pay extra for nothing. so ya, i'm a little angry.

petros
Getting your photos back isn't hard if the HDD is still fine. Do you have another computer?

TBayCitizen

I took my laptop to get fixed cuz it wasnt turning on. They told me the would look at it for half an hour and see what happened. They told me it would cost me $40. I asked them if they couldnt fix it could they get my pictures back and they said they would try but it would be an extra amount. They gave me a bill for $120 but they didn't fix my computer or get my pictures. When i asked why so much they told me it took extra time for the tech to take my laptop apart but he didnt see anything wrong with it. When i asked about my pictures they said i still had to pay for trying to get them even if they didnt get them. I didnt autherize them to work longer than half an hour because i don't make a lot of money. Now i still don't have a working computer or all the pictures i took and i had to pay extra for nothing. so ya, i'm a little angry.

I've dealt with Northern Computers for about a year now and I've never had any "rip offs" from them at all. I believe that the staff is very knowledgeable in computers and of course they know what they're doing. Although their 5 day return policy kind of sucks but that's nothing I will keep going to N.C. out of all PC stores in TBay...They even managed to fix my processor which I managed to damage myself by trying to install it myself and I ruined the very tiny pinns on it and they fixed it which would have cost me 100s if I sent it back to Wpg...Good Job guys

gerryh

There's the authorization for extra work.

IdRatherBeSkiing
This underlines the point of frequent backups.

skookumchuck
+1
No problem, they just set up shop and spend many thousands to work for free for you. The very idea of charging for time spent looking for a problem, what are they thinking?

MHz
There are on-line sites that allow you storage space so when the computer crashes you just fire up an different one and retrieve the data.
If you are ever looking for a hobby you may have found it, trouble-shooting before it goes to the shop.