Huge New York Steaks

#juan
#1
My wife and I were at the Superstore yesterday doing a bit of grocery shopping. I picked up
a package of strip loin steaks. I assumed from the thickness that there was two layers of
steak but when we got them home there was just one layer of 4 steaks, roughly two and a half
inches thick. This doesn't make a big problem.....I can cut the steaks in half and grill them
normally.....I just wonder at the butcher cutting steaks that were over a pound each in this day
and age. I don't usually spend forty dollars on four steaks
and my days of eating
an eighteen ounce steak are long gone.
 
petros
#2
A, AA or AAA?
 
Nuggler
#3
.........JEEZ; a guy that can afford steak.

Me and my buddies are gonna come and "occupy" your front lawn till there is a morally satisfying order of the division of wealth.........that would be from youse to us, ok?

 
#juan
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

.........JEEZ; a guy that can afford steak.

Me and my buddies are gonna come and "occupy" your front lawn till there is a morally satisfying order of the division of wealth.........that would be from youse to us, ok?

Seriously, you can do worse than spending your meat money on steak. We shop for
meat for the next month and a half and those were the only steaks we bought. We also
bought chicken and pork and fish and pasta to fill in between the steaks. I like to think
that we are making up for some of those thin days when I was going to school
.
 
MHz
#5
Is pasta a meat?

For the ones looking for scraps the garbage cans are usually out back in the alley/
 
VanIsle
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

My wife and I were at the Superstore yesterday doing a bit of grocery shopping. I picked up
a package of strip loin steaks. I assumed from the thickness that there was two layers of
steak but when we got them home there was just one layer of 4 steaks, roughly two and a half
inches thick. This doesn't make a big problem.....I can cut the steaks in half and grill them
normally.....I just wonder at the butcher cutting steaks that were over a pound each in this day
and age. I don't usually spend forty dollars on four steaks and my days of eating
an eighteen ounce steak are long gone.

Don't take me wrong but - buying perishables at SS is risky. Their meat is never triple A. They have been fined twice in the recent past for changing the date on their perishables. I never buy any meat there. I only go to that store for some items like shampoo, bath soap and some of the stuff they have on the back right side of the store (kitchen and bath type items). Sometimes they have butter on for a good price. I wouldn't buy any perishable that a new label can be added to. Sometimes SOM puts some good meat buys on but the best meat is at Costco. Even Thrifty's has good meat but it's not always at a reasonable price.
 
Nuggler
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Seriously, you can do worse than spending your meat money on steak. We shop for
meat for the next month and a half and those were the only steaks we bought. We also
bought chicken and pork and fish and pasta to fill in between the steaks. I like to think
that we are making up for some of those thin days when I was going to school
.


""making up for some of those thin days when I was going to school""...........exactly. Us too.
 
Goober
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

My wife and I were at the Superstore yesterday doing a bit of grocery shopping. I picked up
a package of strip loin steaks. I assumed from the thickness that there was two layers of
steak but when we got them home there was just one layer of 4 steaks, roughly two and a half
inches thick. This doesn't make a big problem.....I can cut the steaks in half and grill them
normally.....I just wonder at the butcher cutting steaks that were over a pound each in this day
and age. I don't usually spend forty dollars on four steaks
and my days of eating
an eighteen ounce steak are long gone.

From what I have heard some SStore warehouses do not have temp controlled docks for meats & produce - Meats are bulk delivered fresh & boxed -- also frozen - warm loading docks - then they sit on the loading docks waiting to be broken down then cross packaged for delivery to the individual store.

I would not buy meats from SStore. just my opinion.
 
#juan
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

From what I have heard some SStore warehouses do not have temp controlled docks for meats & produce - Meats are bulk delivered fresh & boxed -- also frozen - warm loading docks - then they sit on the loading docks waiting to be broken down then cross packaged for delivery to the individual store.

I would not buy meats from SStore. just my opinion.

We split our meat shopping between the Superstore and Save -On. I've bought all
the meat at our house for over forty years now and I have a pretty good eye. (for
everything but thickness) I never buy frozen meats of any kind. The steaks I talked
about in the OP are very nice steaks. They were just too damn big. If I want a good
prime rib roast for company, I get them to cut it for me.
Last edited by #juan; Nov 17th, 2011 at 03:07 PM..
 
VanIsle
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

We split our meat shopping between the Superstore and Save -On. I've bought all
the meat at our house for over forty years now and I have a pretty good eye. (for
everything but thickness) I never buy frozen meats of any kind. The steaks I talked
about in the OP are very nice steaks. They were just too damn big. If I want a good
prime rib roast for company, I get them to cut it for me.

Just remember to bear in mind that there is (going by Goober's post and what I know myself) a very good chance you are eating meat that has probably been thawed and re-frozen for one thing and could have a changed "best before" tag on it. My daughter-in-law buys almost 100% of their groceries at SS. Her exception is the meat. She will not buy their meat and that's without knowing about the date changing. People get it in their heads that SS has the cheapest stuff. It's like any other store - you have to know your prices.
 
#juan
+3
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Sometimes they have butter on for a good price. I wouldn't buy any perishable that a new label can be added to. Sometimes SOM puts some good meat buys on but the best meat is at Costco. Even Thrifty's has good meat but it's not always at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't go near Costco for the same reason I don't shop at Home Depot. They are American conglomerates that have
forced Canadian companies out of business. I know Save - On is Canadian and so is the Superstore. I will shop Canadian
until I see a good reason not to.
Last edited by #juan; Nov 17th, 2011 at 06:22 PM..
 
#juan
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

From what I have heard some SStore warehouses do not have temp controlled docks for meats & produce - Meats are bulk delivered fresh & boxed -- also frozen - warm loading docks - then they sit on the loading docks waiting to be broken down then cross packaged for delivery to the individual store.
I would not buy meats from SStore. just my opinion.

I've been going to the Superstore for almost three years now and I find their quality to be excellent. Another thing we buy is
Snapper and salmon filets. They do a better job on those than any of the competition. I split my shopping between the SS
and Save - On so I can keep an eye on the prices. I've seen nothing to make me want to change stores
 
karrie
#13
I shop Save-on almost exclusively for meat, because the one near my house is awesome. That's not true of the one slightly further away. The Superstore on the East side is disgusting and I'd never buy meat from there. I have no such qualms about the Superstore further west down the same street. The Save-On one friend used to work for was notorious for reshelving thawed frozen goods.

No matter what chain you're discussing, it still boils down to individual managers and individual staff. There's no guarantee in a label.
 
VanIsle
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I shop Save-on almost exclusively for meat, because the one near my house is awesome. That's not true of the one slightly further away. The Superstore on the East side is disgusting and I'd never buy meat from there. I have no such qualms about the Superstore further west down the same street. The Save-On one friend used to work for was notorious for reshelving thawed frozen goods.

No matter what chain you're discussing, it still boils down to individual managers and individual staff. There's no guarantee in a label.

That is especially true of any frozen fish you buy in the meat department. I can say that in the Save On I worked at, the guys in the meat dept. were really strict about the way things were handled. One guy told me not to buy their burger patties that are mixed in the rest of the meat area such as roasts and steaks. He said they taste awful. He's one of the head guys there so - I believe him. The whole store can be lax on moving old products off the shelf and dairy. I never take a dairy product in particular without checking the date. Want fresh stuff - reach to the back of the row. Doesn't work 100% but usually, it will have a better date. Same with bakery. Reach to the back of the shelf for your bread too.
 
talloola
#15
I buy meat at safeway or quality foods, I don't shop at super store, but for no particular reason, I
have no complaints about them

I just find that when you find a particular store that satisfies you, you feel comfortable, like their
products, thats where I will be.

I collect air miles so safeway does that, and I collect quality foods points, and like their new store
in courtenay, everything so fresh looking and the store so new and clean, and lunch there is very good,
freshly made foods on the spot, good quality.

save on foods left here some years ago, so I have forgotton about them, but I did shop there back then.

I am a stickler about checking dates

don't like thriftys here in courteany, the store is too small, people too close together, feels cramped.
maybe when they finish building the new one up the hill by home depot, I will go there sometimes, they
have a good reputation.

I shop in costco, but won't buy meat there, the last stewing beef I bought there wouldn't become tender
if you cooked it for a week. I have used stewing beef as part of my spaghetti sauce for about 50
years, and this was the first time the stewing beef was chewy after cooking the sauce for 5 hours.
I'm going to speak to them about it next time I go.
I don't need their meat anyway, but there are many other products I like a lot, their produce cold room
is great, but I check all the dates.

does anyone know what happens to all foods that is removed because date is coming close to expiry.
I went to costco last week, wanted their great tasting, cut up and packaged squash, we love it, but
the expiry date was close, so I left it alone, went back two days later, whole shipment of fresh
squash was there, what happens to the old stuff, which was still OK to eat for a while.
 
Nuggler
#16
Our local "Independent Grocer" always has good meat - as in really good.

Only a couple of other places in town to buy meat, and I wouldn't.


Talloola; I think they are required to throw it out. Sad really, but they can't take chances. Or at least, shouldn't.
 
talloola
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Our local "Independent Grocer" always has good meat - as in really good.

Only a couple of other places in town to buy meat, and I wouldn't.


Talloola; I think they are required to throw it out. Sad really, but they can't take chances. Or at least, shouldn't.

I was thinking about the big church not far from us in town who serve free lunches every day, and I
wonder where they get all of the food they cook, as those 'not yet quite expired' dates are actually
still good to eat, but probably will not sell, so they should go somewhere and quickly be cooked and
eaten, so a large lunch each day at the church would be lots of food cooked at one time and would suit
those particular items.

just wonderin
 
TenPenny
#18
Even food that has passed its 'best before' date is still good to eat. I think people have stopped using common sense, and are relying on what I call the 'lawyer labels' to run their lives.

I avoid milk that is past the date, as it usually goes bad, but for the most part, meat is perfectly fine for a few days - after all, you're going to cook it, aren't you? Now, of course there is a practical limit, but some people don't have any sense whatsoever.
 
#juan
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Even food that has passed its 'best before' date is still good to eat. I think people have stopped using common sense, and are relying on what I call the 'lawyer labels' to run their lives.

I avoid milk that is past the date, as it usually goes bad, but for the most part, meat is perfectly fine for a few days - after all, you're going to cook it, aren't you? Now, of course there is a practical limit, but some people don't have any sense whatsoever.

You are right, the "best before" label means exactly that. It doesn't mean it is rotten or anything. There is only my wife and I at home for the most part right now so we have to pick the four liter jug of milk at it's very best so it will last in the fridge without going off before it's finished.
 
petros
+1
#20
Run a colder fridge and things last long.
 
#juan
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Run a colder fridge and things last long.

We already have ice forming on some things. It's not a big problem but I wouldn't turn down the temp
any further than it is.
 
petros
#22
Soon perishables will be irradiated to increase longevity and "food safety". I'm not sure if I'm keen on that.
Last edited by #juan; Aug 30th, 2012 at 11:18 AM..
 
JLM
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Don't take me wrong but - buying perishables at SS is risky. Their meat is never triple A. They have been fined twice in the recent past for changing the date on their perishables. I never buy any meat there. I only go to that store for some items like shampoo, bath soap and some of the stuff they have on the back right side of the store (kitchen and bath type items). Sometimes they have butter on for a good price. I wouldn't buy any perishable that a new label can be added to. Sometimes SOM puts some good meat buys on but the best meat is at Costco. Even Thrifty's has good meat but it's not always at a reasonable price.

Not all Superstores are the same, the one in Vernon is good and I buy lots of meat there- mind you are far as quality is concerned Safeway is probably best (if you can afford $4.50 a lb. for lean hamburger)

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

You are right, the "best before" label means exactly that. It doesn't mean it is rotten or anything. There is only my wife and I at home for the most part right now so we have to pick the four liter jug of milk at it's very best so it will last in the fridge without going off before it's finished.

And probably means the date to be sold by, given the scenario that it will be at least another day or so before it is actually eaten.
 
petros
#24
When it turns green. Don't eat it. Until then, enjoy!

P.S. Don't sniff the top of the milk jug. The crusties on the cap and rim always smell bad. Pour a glass then sniff.
 
JLM
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

When it turns green. Don't eat it. Until then, enjoy!

Yep, green is bad for meat but good for cheese!
 
levanty
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Soon perishables will be irridated to increase longevity and "food safety". I'm not sure if I'm keen on that.

This reminds me of a great sci-fi worth watching: Charlton Heston Soylent Green
Soylent Green : mmmmmm, yummy!
 
talloola
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Not all Superstores are the same, the one in Vernon is good and I buy lots of meat there- mind you are far as quality is concerned Safeway is probably best (if you can afford $4.50 a lb. for lean hamburger)



.

yeah, safeway is higher priced on many items, not all, and I follow their flyer closely, some good buys.
and the store is always full of shoppers.
when the ground meat is on special, I buy it, and freeze it.
 
Nuggler
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I was thinking about the big church not far from us in town who serve free lunches every day, and I
wonder where they get all of the food they cook, as those 'not yet quite expired' dates are actually
still good to eat, but probably will not sell, so they should go somewhere and quickly be cooked and
eaten, so a large lunch each day at the church would be lots of food cooked at one time and would suit
those particular items.

just wonderin


That would be great, but it takes volunteers daily to do the heavy lifting. There's quite a few of those.

Jobs would be better.
 
#juan
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

yeah, safeway is higher priced on many items, not all, and I follow their flyer closely, some good buys.
and the store is always full of shoppers.
when the ground meat is on special, I buy it, and freeze it.

Back when we lived on the mainland (Port Coquitlam)we had a Save-On and a Safeway. The two were very competitive.
In Nanaimo there is a Save-On just a few blocks away and a SuperStore a litle farther. The Safeway in Nanaimo is a tiny
little store out near Cedar and the aisles are barely wide enough for two grocery buggys to pass each other.
Btw Talloola, Is it snowing up your way? We are almost whited out with snow right now.......Don't know how long it will last...
Last edited by #juan; Dec 7th, 2011 at 12:59 AM..
 
JLM
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

yeah, safeway is higher priced on many items, not all, and I follow their flyer closely, some good buys.
and the store is always full of shoppers.
when the ground meat is on special, I buy it, and freeze it.

I give Safeway a 9/10, their products are good, their service is excellent, the store is clean and well arranged. You just have to avoid buying some items if you are thifty conscious. Where possible get Safeway brands or their Red Label brands and the bread is well priced. Meat........................be careful, just what's on sale, the delicatessan..............a ripoff as in all stores.
 

Similar Threads

6
Pork shoulder steaks
by #juan | Mar 1st, 2010
48
5
Huge New US Base In Israel
by mrmom2 | Jul 14th, 2005