Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash


B00Mer
Republican
#1
Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash



Canadian coffee chain giant Tim Hortons seems to be much more comfortable serving double-doubles than navigating the tricky world of pipeline politics.

Facing pressure from some anti-pipeline customers, Tim Hortons has announced it will no longer be running advertisements for Enbridge.

The spots had been airing for close to three weeks on screens at more than 1,500 Tim Hortons locations between British Columbia and Ontario on Tims TV.

An online petition from a group called SumOfUs urged Tim Hortons to yank the ads, accusing the company of "shilling" for the oilsands shipper.

Tim Hortons responded to several Twitter users by saying it values the feedback and the ads will no longer be airing on Tims TV. The campaign was supposed to run for another week.



The SumOfUs group claimed victory after the ads were pulled.

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project."

Enbridge downplayed the abrupt end to its ad campaign

"We enjoyed working with Tims and respect its decision," said Enbridge spokesman Graham White in a statement.

Alberta backlash

The move by Tim Hortons is not going over well in oil-friendly Alberta. Customers are pledging their own boycott. Politicians, including Defence Minister Jason Kenney, took to Twitter to voice their support for Enbridge.

Brian Jean
@BrianJeanWRP


Disappointed in @TimHortons. AB energy companies fuel our economy, provide jobs, and adhere to strict environmental standards. #ableg # ymm


"​I'm proud to represent thousands of constituents who work for Enbridge & other CDN energy companies," wrote Kenney, who represents the riding of Calgary Southeast.

Marketing experts question whether Tim Hortons over-reacted to the online petition.
"Enbridge, of course, is not just pipelines and oilsands; they are a whole range of products including heating people's homes," said Alan Middleton of York University. "Tims should have thought about that."





Joel @native_CDN

I guess we will also need to boycott Esso. #BoycottTims


Tim Hortons did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Enbridge's $7.9-billion Northern Gateway pipeline, which would ship oilsands bitumen from Alberta to the west coast, is a controversial project.

While approved by the federal government, the pipeline must clear several hurdles:​


  • Meet 209 conditions; fewer than 30 have been fully completed.
  • Bring aboriginal communities onside; 26 of 45 have signed up.
  • Deal with First Nations court challenges.
  • Secure continued commercial support.
  • Satisfy British Columbia's conditions.



Jeff Gaulin @CAPP_Jeff

Canadian energy is good for all Canadians. It heats our coffee and cooks our donuts and fuels our cars and trucks.....

source: Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash - Business - CBC News




!!! Boycott Timmies !!!
 
mentalfloss
-1
#2
Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash

Canadian coffee chain giant Tim Hortons seems to be much more comfortable serving double-doubles than navigating the tricky world of pipeline politics.

Facing pressure from some anti-pipeline customers, Tim Hortons has announced it will no longer be running advertisements for Enbridge.

The spots had been airing for close to three weeks on screens at more than 1,500 Tim Hortons locations between British Columbia and Ontario on Tims TV.

An online petition from a group called SumOfUs urged Tim Hortons to yank the ads, accusing the company of "shilling" for the oilsands shipper.

Tim Hortons responded to several Twitter users by saying it values the feedback and the ads will no longer be airing on Tims TV. The campaign was supposed to run for another week.

The SumOfUs group claimed victory after the ads were pulled.

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calg...lash-1.3100676
Last edited by mentalfloss; Jun 5th, 2015 at 06:50 AM..
 
DaSleeper
+1
#3
Here is another petition for your perusal........
Boycott Tims - The Rebel

I go for coffee at McDonald's now
 
55Mercury
+1
#4
fvck, I hate those screens... and every ff joint has 'em - you're browsing the menu, people in line behind you, and then it's gone, switched to some stupid promotion... "dumbest idea ever", I say in each one I go to... but I guess a lot of like-minded executive bureaucrats think it's best to keep up with the times than to really think things through, no doubt to the sheer delight of some fast-talking salesman. < good for him (but it's still a dumb idea... stick those screens anywhere but over the goddamn menu). /rant
 
mentalfloss
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Here is another petition for your perusal........
Boycott Tims - The Rebel

I go for coffee at McDonald's now

 
DaSleeper
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post


 
Dixie Cup
Conservative
+2
#7
Hey, we haven't seen anything yet - there's a group who wants to ban all beef! There goes my source of milk!! Next it'll be pork, then chickens - hell, we'll all be eating grass soon.


I was never and had never been a conspiracy person, but by god, there might just be something to all this garbage. The elites want (aka Ted Turner and others of his ilk) have decided that the world is over-populated and they figure we should lose 350,000 people a day until the population is more "manageable" - Of course, he wouldn't be the first to volunteer getting "offed" would he? And just what would the "ideal" population be and who would it include? Just askin....
 
mentalfloss
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post


Don't you just love it when people who fight for capitalism and against lefties start social campaigns to boycott organizations?

This is going to be fun to watch.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Hey, we haven't seen anything yet - there's a group who wants to ban all beef! There goes my source of milk!! Next it'll be pork, then chickens - hell, we'll all be eating grass soon.


I was never and had never been a conspiracy person, but by god, there might just be something to all this garbage. The elites want (aka Ted Turner and others of his ilk) have decided that the world is over-populated and they figure we should lose 350,000 people a day until the population is more "manageable" - Of course, he wouldn't be the first to volunteer getting "offed" would he? And just what would the "ideal" population be and who would it include? Just askin....

Ted Turner for sure .
 
Walter
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Don't you just love it when people who fight for capitalism and against lefties start social campaigns to boycott organizations?

Are only leftards allowed to boycott?
 
mentalfloss
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Are only leftards allowed to boycott?

You think boycotting Tim Hortons is going to benefit the economy?
 
Walter
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

You think boycotting Tim Hortons is going to benefit the economy?

That doesn't answer the question.
 
JamesBondo
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Tim Hortons yanks Enbridge ads, sparks Alberta backlash

Canadian coffee chain giant Tim Hortons seems to be much more comfortable serving double-doubles than navigating the tricky world of pipeline politics.

Facing pressure from some anti-pipeline customers, Tim Hortons has announced it will no longer be running advertisements for Enbridge.

The spots had been airing for close to three weeks on screens at more than 1,500 Tim Hortons locations between British Columbia and Ontario on Tims TV.

An online petition from a group called SumOfUs urged Tim Hortons to yank the ads, accusing the company of "shilling" for the oilsands shipper.

Tim Hortons responded to several Twitter users by saying it values the feedback and the ads will no longer be airing on Tims TV. The campaign was supposed to run for another week.

The SumOfUs group claimed victory after the ads were pulled.

"Enbridge was using the trusted brand of Tim Hortons to sell a skeptical public on a project," said Emma Pullman, a campaigner with SumOfUs in Vancouver. "Enbridge is going to have to do more than glossy ads to get social licence to build this project.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/calg...lash-1.3100676

If anyone knows of a pro=pipeline counter protest, please share. lets get the word out that we won't tolerate this kind of bully tactics from a bunch of uneducated redneck anti-pipeliners
 
mentalfloss
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

That doesn't answer the question.

That actually does answer the question lol

This boycott does nothing but reveal that the rightards are actually leftards.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+5
#15  Top Rated Post
I am shocked! 100% completely and totally shocked!

I had no idea that anyone paid attention to the advertising screens at Tim Hortons.

I think all these people are spending way too much time at the donut shop. Clearly they need to be on the internet more.
 
Walter
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

If anyone knows of a pro=pipeline counter protest, please share. lets get the word out that we won't tolerate this kind of bully tactics from a bunch of uneducated redneck anti-pipeliners

Post #2.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That actually does answer the question lol

This boycott does nothing but reveal that the rightards are actually leftards.

Are only leftards allowed to boycott?
 
DaSleeper
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Post #2.


Are only leftards allowed to boycott?

They sure don't like it when their own tactics are used against them.......
 
mentalfloss
+1 / -1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Are only leftards allowed to boycott?

What don't you understand about boycotting being an inherently leftist measure?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

What don't you understand about boycotting being an inherently leftist measure?

Where is the rule that only leftards are allowed to boycott?
 
mentalfloss
+2 / -1
#20
Because it's opposing a corporation or a private institution.

Did you guys forget your dementia pills or something today?
 
Kreskin
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Post #2.


Are only leftards allowed to boycott?

Ritards are allowed too.
 
Walter
+2
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Ritards are allowed too.

Not according to sphincterfloss.
 
mentalfloss
#23
Now that I've responded to your broken record three times already, explain how boycotting a corporation a right-wing endeavor.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#24
According to him we're not allowed to show disapproval for a store policy by shopping elsewhere...
He just mad cause people are using their own tactics against them.....
 
EagleSmack
+2
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

According to him we're not allowed to show disapproval for a store policy by shopping elsewhere...
He just mad cause people are using their own tactics against them.....


They hate when their tactics get used against them.

Then they say ridiculous things like boycotting is a tactic to be only used by the left.
 
Walter
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Now that I've responded to your broken record three times already, explain how boycotting a corporation a right-wing endeavor.

From the new World Encyclopedia: To boycott is to abstain from using, buying, or dealing with a person or organization as an expression of protest or as a means of economic coercion in order to achieve justice. The boycott serves as a nonviolent tactic to further a cause, and can take on symbolic significance while effecting change. Boycotts were used successfully on many occasions in the twentieth century, furthering the cause of human rights around the world.


No political affiliation is attributed to this action..
 
mentalfloss
-1
#27
If you are using right wing to represent libertarianism then I would agree.

The conventional use of the term is about promoting a corporation.

 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I am shocked! 100% completely and totally shocked!

I had no idea that anyone paid attention to the advertising screens at Tim Hortons.

I think all these people are spending way too much time at the donut shop. Clearly they need to be on the internet more.

It is an indication of poor service levels at Tim Hortons if people are spending that much time in line that they are bored enough to watch a screen containing nothing but commercials.
 
mentalfloss
#29
 
DaSleeper
+1
#30
 

Similar Threads

0
Two Yanks, two matches but worlds apart
by Blackleaf | Dec 23rd, 2006
37
It's not the Yanks who are Dumb
by I think not | May 2nd, 2006
10
Disillusioned Yanks eye NZ
by moghrabi | Nov 10th, 2004
2
For Yanks moving to Canada, eh?
by Andem | Nov 7th, 2004