What is the purpose of Twitter?

unclepercy
I signed up. I looked at my page. I have 7 people following me. Why are they following me? I can't see any advantage to this unless it is the internet equivalent of texting. Or throwing spitwads. What do you do with it?

Uncle

L Gilbert
Socialize.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Socialize.

Some understand. Some don't.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy View Post

I signed up. I looked at my page. I have 7 people following me. Why are they following me? I can't see any advantage to this unless it is the internet equivalent of texting. Or throwing spitwads. What do you do with it?

Uncle

Uncle, it's social networking. They're 'following' you because presumably you joined to share what you're up to, and presumably, they care enough to know what you're up to.

VanIsle
Ugh! I was wondering what "twittering" was. I'll be sure not to sign on. It would creep me out to have someone following me around the internet.

Kreskin
Those would be spammers following you.

shadowshiv
Twitter seems like it is going to be annoying beyond belief. Oh wait. It already is.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Those would be spammers following you.

What did we say about following people around, Kreskin?

psychokandy
i see it as essentially facebook minus everything except status updates. people will hop on any bandwagon it seems.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by psychokandy View Post

i see it as essentially facebook minus everything except status updates. people will hop on any bandwagon it seems.

That's about it.