Amazon considers Canada the 51st state, not international like the UK or Italy


dumpthemonarchy
#1
If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are. The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.
 
TenPenny
+3
#2
So, you'd prefer to pay higher shipping charges from Amazon?
 
Goober
+3
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are. The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.

Perhaps they look at it as simpler for marketing- shipping and such. Now take the twist out of your pantiies
 
Liberalman
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are. The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.

You are on the Amazon.ca which is a Canadian web site, Amazon.com is the American web site
 
dumpthemonarchy
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Perhaps they look at it as simpler for marketing- shipping and such. Now take the twist out of your pantiies

You have no evidence it's simpler.
 
Goober
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

You have no evidence it's simpler.

Really - perhaps you should give it some thought. I can see how it is simpler- cost efficient - effective- lowered costs for Amazon- But then again???????????????
 
lone wolf
#7
...but then again, it's amazon.CA
 
karrie
+1
#8
lol.... I'd be appalled if .ca sites were treating us as international.

Even so, let's pretend you were on .com. I see no reason that Canada should be lumped in with overseas shipping when we're not overseas. Parts of Canada are actually closer to where Amazon's headquarters are than most of the US is.
 
Niflmir
+3
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

lol.... I'd be appalled if .ca sites were treating us as international.

Even so, let's pretend you were on .com. I see no reason that Canada should be lumped in with overseas shipping when we're not overseas. Parts of Canada are actually closer to where Amazon's headquarters are than most of the US is.

There is also that NAFTA thing helping out. I'd kill to have a free trade agreement between Canada and Europe. Paying import fees to receive Christmas presents is kind of heart chilling.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Really - perhaps you should give it some thought. I can see how it is simpler- cost efficient - effective- lowered costs for Amazon- But then again???????????????

Maybe he knows a cheap way to drive the mail truck to England.
 
damngrumpy
#11
First of all I do not see this as a problem at all. To the others I don't want a free trade deal
with any other countries. No more cheap stuff coming in to compete with Canadian business
especially when the companies are often our own, making money off some Canadians while
putting others on the unemployment line. These companies want all the profits and none of
the expenses of running the country. Their buddies in government keep making deals that
weaken the fabric of the Canadian middle class. Its also bad for agriculture.
As for books, there is already a deal there, its also a fact we are neighbours and overseas
costs should not apply. Some people like to make issues where there are none.
 
EagleSmack
+3
#12
Nationalism
 
CDNBear
+4
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Nationalism

Idiotic nationalism.
 
gerryh
+3
#14
You all know my position on the u.s. and this is a non starter for even me. What's wrong dumpy, tired of getting beat up on the native, the monarchy and the immigration issues? Gonna try your hand at something else?
 
SLM
+4
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You all know my position on the u.s. and this is a non starter for even me. What's wrong dumpy, tired of getting beat up on the native, the monarchy and the immigration issues? Gonna try your hand at something else?

On the one hand, he's finally branching out.

But on the other hand, he's branching out.
 
CDNBear
#16
 
dumpthemonarchy
#17
We'll just give up our sovereignty to USA corporations for cheaper shipping. A fair price for some. Because Amazon considers Canada part of the USA, does Fed Ex and UPS agree with Amazon? No one has checked yet.

If you go to Fed Ex's web site, shipping a ten kilogram box from Los Angeles to Seattle costs from $15 to $134. shipping the same box from LA to Vancouver has only one price, $134, and it's international priority. Canada is international to Fed Ex and it costs much more.
 
SLM
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are.

Yeah! They should be charging us way more for shipping! Those bastards!

Quote:

The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Political? Just because they, for the purposes of shipping a commercial product, consider North America to be one solid land mass? Hmmm, specific terminology seems to be a big issue with you. Maybe you should try being that particular when it comes to the terminology of First Nations vs "Indians".

Quote:

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.

Why, are you looking to publish?


Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

We'll just give up our sovereignty to USA corporations for cheaper shipping. A fair price for some. Because Amazon considers Canada part of the USA, does Fed Ex and UPS agree with Amazon? No one has checked yet.

If you go to Fed Ex's web site, shipping a ten kilogram box from Los Angeles to Seattle costs from $15 to $134. shipping the same box from LA to Vancouver has only one price, $134, and it's international priority. Canada is international to Fed Ex and it costs much more.

Ok, so now here you seem ticked that Fed Ex has the audacity to charge more for shipping from the U.S. because it has to go over the border.

Just what exactly is your 'bitch du jour' anyway?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Yeah! They should be charging us way more for shipping! Those bastards!

Political? Just because they, for the purposes of shipping a commercial product, consider North America to be one solid land mass? Hmmm, specific terminology seems to be a big issue with you. Maybe you should try being that particular when it comes to the terminology of First Nations vs "Indians".

Why, are you looking to publish?

Ok, so now here you seem ticked that Fed Ex has the audacity to charge more for shipping from the U.S. because it has to go over the border.

Just what exactly is your 'bitch du jour' anyway?

With so many inconsistencies, it's difficult to find a starting point.

Fed Ex charges whatever they need to stay in business.

Shipping with Fed Ex from the USA to Canada costs much more, in fact, their maximum rate. That's not the case with the USA. Are people so rich here they don't care? No, they just don't know and don't care. The wildly opinionated here but sadly uninformed don't like their ignorant assumptions challenged.

I had a business and had product shipped from the USA and it was a hassle because of customs. Many still believe in the undefended border, and it's long gone, pure BS. Ooh, they like us. Deluded. But most people have never had to import anything from the USA for resale so they are clueless.

What's your definition of the difference between First Nations and Indians?
 
karrie
#20
So, the key question dtm.... where does Amazon.CA (btw, the .ca means 'Canada'), ship from? Why should a .ca (Canadian) website, be treating Canada as international exactly?
 
EagleSmack
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post


I had a business and had product shipped from the USA and it was a hassle because of customs. Many still believe in the undefended border, and it's long gone, pure BS. Ooh, they like us. Deluded. But most people have never had to import anything from the USA for resale so they are clueless.

I think you're right Dump. Amazon considers you the 51st state. They're totally disrespecting your sovereignty.
 
TenPenny
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

With so many inconsistencies, it's difficult to find a starting point.

Fed Ex charges whatever they need to stay in business.

Shipping with Fed Ex from the USA to Canada costs much more, in fact, their maximum rate. That's not the case with the USA. Are people so rich here they don't care? No, they just don't know and don't care. The wildly opinionated here but sadly uninformed don't like their ignorant assumptions challenged.

I had a business and had product shipped from the USA and it was a hassle because of customs. Many still believe in the undefended border, and it's long gone, pure BS. Ooh, they like us. Deluded. But most people have never had to import anything from the USA for resale so they are clueless.

What's your definition of the difference between First Nations and Indians?

In our business, I bring stuff in from the USA daily, and also from Germany, the UK, Australia, Norway, and Sweden. Shipping is shipping.

I don't understand your point; you seem to be upset that Amazon.ca doesn't consider shipping to Canada as international (and why should it, .ca is a Canadian domain), yet you're also upset that FedEx charges more to ship to Canada (as it should, after all, they have to deal with customs etc).

Do you have a point? If so, what is it? And what do FirstNations/Indians have to do with Amazon.ca and shipping?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#23
A First Nations and Indian discussion requires another thread.
 
B00Mer
#24


Annexation movements of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United North America

Just saying, lot's of people feel that this will be inevitable in 20 years or maybe less..

I prefer to look at it as we took the USA in as the 11th Province.. they are almost Canadian, another 4 years of Obama and we will own them. (Socialized Medical Care, etc.. blah blah blah)
 
dumpthemonarchy
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post



Annexation movements of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

United North America

Just saying, lot's of people feel that this will be inevitable in 20 years or maybe less..

I prefer to look at it as we took the USA in as the 11th Province.. they are almost Canadian, another 4 years of Obama and we will own them. (Socialized Medical Care, etc.. blah blah blah)

Mexico is part of North America in NAFTA, and atlases include it too. But not on this map. Don't these peons know anything? Don't they watch cell phone commercials?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#26
Considering that Amazon is one of my top distributors, I like the fact that they consider Canada non-international.

Oh, and by the way Dump. Amazon is not America.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Considering that Amazon is one of my top distributors, I like the fact that they consider Canada non-international.

Oh, and by the way Dump. Amazon is not America.

Why do you like that? A few details here would help.

But what about the peons?
 
CDNBear
+2
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

Fed Ex charges whatever they need to stay in business.

FedEx also makes contracts with large companies, and negotiate shipping rates specific to that company.

I'm sure that will go over your head given you difficulty understanding contracts.

Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

But what about the peons?

What about you?
 
karrie
+2
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

So, the key question dtm.... where does Amazon.CA (btw, the .ca means 'Canada'), ship from? Why should a .ca (Canadian) website, be treating Canada as international exactly?

bump
 
B00Mer
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

Mexico is part of North America in NAFTA, and atlases include it too. But not on this map. Don't these peons know anything? Don't they watch cell phone commercials?

The concept of Canada & The USA joining is of two common economies and cultures. Mexico, is shown on the map with a small "no thanks" next to it.



As far as Amazon considering Canada as the 51st state.. personally I think Canadians are getting ripped off.

Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) has a better deal with the USA. Any US born citizen is not allowed to buy property in CNMI, but everyone born in CNMI is a dual citizen with the USA, and has all the rights of anyone born in the USA.

We have a resource based economy, that our buddies to the south need.. I think we need some sort of EU arrangement that protects Canadian sovereignty, however allows Canadians to live and move freely within the USA, work, live, whatever.. or cut off the oil, the power going to NYC from Quebec, lumber and fisheries..
 

Similar Threads

21
South California the 51st State.
by ironsides | Aug 6th, 2011
0
Canada - Italy
by tawker | Feb 15th, 2006