Mad Scientists Have Created a Glow in the Dark Dog

B00Mer

For some reason, crazy scientists from South Korea have created a dog that glows in the dark. Seriously. The beagle, named Tegon, was cloned and genetically modified so it lights up when you put it under ultraviolet light.

It sounds completely gimmicky and terrible but the South Korean scientists said building the glowing dog could help find cures for human diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Born in 2009 through somatic cell nuclear transfer technology, Tegon's glowing ability can actually be turned on or off with medicine (a doxycycline antibiotic) which according to lead researcher Lee Byeong-chun, "opens new horizons since the gene injected to make the dog glow can be substituted with genes that trigger fatal human diseases."

I still think there's a bit of a leap to take from making a dog glow in the dark to curing Alzheimer's though.

Scientists Claim to Create Glow-in-the-Dark Dogs - YouTube

//////////////////////

I want a glow in the dark d!ck.. seriously how cool would that be??

November's Green Thing: Glow-in-the-dark Thing - YouTube

eh1eh
+1
I bet they're actually 'happy' scientists.

L Gilbert
+1
People already glow in the dark, under infrared and UV. It's just that we need to make sensitive instruments to see ourselves in the dark. Other animals naturally have that sensitivity, our "special" ability is thought (although I wonder about most people), definitely not sight.

Sal
+1
a glow in the dark dog, poor dog full of gawd only knows what chemicals... we just have to play and play with nature until it bites us back

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

People already glow in the dark, under infrared and UV. It's just that we need to make sensitive instruments to see ourselves in the dark. Other animals naturally have that sensitivity, our "special" ability is thought (although I wonder about most people), definitely not sight.

Mutha fukkin tru dat. You are 'seeing' right dude.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

a glow in the dark dog, poor dog full of gawd only knows what chemicals... we just have to play and play with nature until it bites us back

It's our destiny.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Mutha fukkin tru dat. You are 'seeing' right dude.

It's our destiny.

*sigh* yeah I know, resistance is futile

spaminator
glow in the dark cat - Google Search

glow in the dark rat - Google Search

darkbeaver
you don't understand how science works

Sal
I had a glow in the dark game as a kid called Green Ghost, I was disappointed with it...yup, a pup would have been more fun

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

....I still think there's a bit of a leap to take from making a dog glow in the dark to curing Alzheimer's though.

Maybe they're try'n to find cures for human diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
in the dark.....and this beagle/night-light might lead the way "Rudolph the Reindeer" style?

Spade

I want a glow in the dark d!ck.. seriously how cool would that be?

Ahhh, a mini light for the tree!

spaminator
+2

I want a glow in the dark d!ck

don't forget to use glow in the dark condoms.

Spade
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

don't forget to use glow in the dark condoms.

Boomer is too shy to ask. Are they available in the children's department?

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Maybe they're try'n to find cures for human diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
in the dark.....and this beagle/night-light might lead the way "Rudolph the Reindeer" style?

That was a statement from the news link, that you attributed to me.. the Title was the link to the news article.

"....I still think there's a bit of a leap to take from making a dog glow in the dark to curing Alzheimer's though."

I would like to see gene therapy to cure cancer, down syndrome and many other diseases, that's why I found this article interesting. I think mankind is on the cutting edge of creating humans that could very well live for 200 years or more.. and in great health.

BBC News - Gene therapy trial 'cures children'

Gene Therapy Cures Adult Leukemia

Omicron
They've been doing stuff like this for awhile:

7 genetically modified animals that glow in the dark - The Week

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

They've been doing stuff like this for awhile:

7 genetically modified animals that glow in the dark - The Week

thanks for the link.

now if we could make bigfoots, chupacabras, and dinosaurs glow in the dark, then maybe we could find the damn things.

Angstrom
Ever notice how all today's scientific research is all about anything but saving or extending human life?
Maybe they think there is to many humans.

Imagine for a second...

You have billions, to research anything you can every dream.
And glowing dogs comes out on top of the priority list....

The man in charge is really messed up.

L Gilbert
+1

Yeah, kind of an idiotic habit. But our dogs, being mostly black, would be easier to find in the night and it wouldn't freak hell outta wifey or me when they snuck up on us. I see you comin, Teddy and Violet. lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Ever notice how all today's scientific research is all about anything but saving or extending human life?

Imagine for a second...

You have billions, to research anything you can every dream.
And glowing dogs comes out on top of the priority list....

The man in charge is really messed up.

uhuh Green-glowing cats are new tool in AIDS research | Mail Online

Blackleaf

thanks for the link.

now if we could make bigfoots, chupacabras, and dinosaurs glow in the dark, then maybe we could find the damn things.

If you don't know where they are how can you make them glow in the dark?

Omicron
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

That's largely because the subject of human life-span is more of a solved subject than most people know.

Scientists have learned that 82% of your longevity is genetically determined. If you had nonogenarian parents, then odds are good that you will be nonogenarian too.

The remaining 18% is affected by things like diet, excercise, and substance abuse, which means, if you had nonogenarian parents, but you didn't take care of yourself, you'll only live to ge an octogenarian, while someone with parents who died in their 60's is still probably going to drop in his 60's, regardless how well he took care of himself.

But on top of that, all genetic factors aside, there's still the problem of telimerase degredation, which puts an upper-cap on life-span no matter how perfect your genes.

Telomers are strings of nucleotids that terminate chromosomes, sort of like how eyelets terminate shoe-laces, and every time a chromosome divides, the telomers of the daughter chromosomes get worn down a bit. Eventually the telomers get worn off altogether, at which point subsequent divisions start eating into actual genes, at which point, you die.

That means you could have the genetic constitution of superman, such that you have perfect health your whole life, until about the age of 120, whereupon one day you start feeling sick, and in about a week you're dead.

All of this got settled by researchers some time around the late 90's, such that there wasn't much more to say about human life-extention, so researchers moved on.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Yeah, kind of an idiotic habit. But our dogs, being mostly black, would be easier to find in the night and it wouldn't freak hell outta wifey or me when they snuck up on us. I see you comin, Teddy and Violet. lol

uhuh Green-glowing cats are new tool in AIDS research | Mail Online

now that WOULD freak me out... lol.... when my cat is in a mood, she hovers around the bed and awaits movement, then she leaps straight up and lands...could you imagine if she glowed green...I'd have a fuking heart attack.

Quote: Originally Posted by Omicron View Post

That's largely because the subject of human life-span is more of a solved subject than most people know.

Scientists have learned that 82% of your longevity is genetically determined. If you had nonogenarian parents, then odds are good that you will be nonogenarian too.

The remaining 18% is affected by things like diet, excercise, and substance abuse, which means, if you had nonogenarian parents, but you didn't take care of yourself, you'll only live to ge an octogenarian, while someone with parents who died in their 60's is still probably going to drop in his 60's, regardless how well he took care of himself.

mostly agree but we still come out of a gene "pool"

Omicron

... but we still come out of a gene "pool"

Indeed, and the way those genes get dealt to an individual can be calculated by the percentage occurence of a gene's alleles with Chi-square analysis etc., but still, no matter the quality of the gene pool, you can't get around telomerase degredation.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

If you don't know where they are how can you make them glow in the dark?

my post was meant as a joke.

Blackleaf

my post was meant as a joke.

So was mine.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

So was mine.

no probs.