American Pediatricians take aim at juice


tay
#1
It 'has no essential role in healthy, balanced diets of children'

The American Academy of Pediatrics has some new advice about juice: Kids should resist the urge to drink it.

If you’re craving something fruity and refreshing, try eating a piece of fruit instead. If you’re thirsty, you can wash it down with some water.

Sure, juice has some things going for it. It can be an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A and potassium, among other nutrients. It also contains antioxidants, which may help ward off cancer and cardiovascular disease.

All those things are true about fruit as well — plus it contains fiber. That’s good for you because it helps keep your blood sugar in check, reduces cholesterol and cleans your colon. And it can help prevent unwanted weight gain, since it takes much longer to eat a piece of fruit than it does to drink the juice it contains.

Fruit also beats juice when it comes to fighting tooth decay. When kids carry around sippy cups with juice — or worse, take it to bed with them in a bottle — their teeth are continuously exposed to carbohydrates. That leads to cavities.

“It is optimal to completely avoid the use of juice in infants before 1 year of age,” the statement outlines;

Pediatricians take aim at juice: It 'has no essential role in healthy, balanced diets of children' - LA Times
 
mentalfloss
#2
I agree with this.

Any time we drink juice, we actually dilute it with water.
 
Curious Cdn
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I agree with this.

Any time we drink juice, we actually dilute it with water.

Agreed. Straight juice is cloying.
 
mentalfloss
#4
It can be as dangerous as pop when it comes to calories.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I agree with this.

Any time we drink juice, we actually dilute it with water.

You should try diluting it with rum.
 
mentalfloss
#6
I'm more of a vodka guy but cranberry/rum is nice too.
 
Danbones
+1
#7
Yes, juice drinking cheerfulness is harmful to children

I say put the doctors on bread and water for a couple of weeks that might smarten the idjits up a bit

"Orange Juice

Oranges are citrus fruits that contain a variety of natural acids, particularly citric and ascorbic acids. Depending on the species, growing conditions and ripeness, fresh squeezed orange juice can have a pH lower than 3, according to “Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism." As such, drinking orange juice about 15 to 30 minutes prior to eating may help stimulate the secretion of digestive juices or lower the pH levels. Other acidic beverages, such as lemonade, pineapple juice and apple cider vinegar, are also consumed in order to promote digestion."
http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...our-digestion/

there are other reasons to drink the stuff too besides content
Last edited by Danbones; May 23rd, 2017 at 06:03 AM..
 
EagleSmack
+1
#8
Helicopter parents and the Nanny State.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Helicopter parents and the Nanny State.

Roger that. I hear they don't even let twelve-year-olds smoke these days!
 
TenPenny
#10
Oddly enough, our own Karrie made the same point about three years ago, she mentioned that she didn't give her kids juice, she just gave them the actual fruit.
 
Danbones
+1
#11
Which oddly enough contain fruit juice
 
EagleSmack
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Roger that. I hear they don't even let twelve-year-olds smoke these days!

Or play kill the man with the ball!
 
Tecumsehsbones
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Or play kill the man with the ball!

Oh, yeah! I can just IMAGINE the hours and hours of "sensitivity training" kids would have to take for playing (or even saying) "Smear the Queer."
 
EagleSmack
#14
I would guess that is an Oklahoma term for kill the man with the ball?
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I would guess that is an Oklahoma term for kill the man with the ball?

Was in the 60s. Nowadays it's probably "attempt to gently tap the friend to encourage him to share the ball with everyone regardless of race, sex, gender orientation, or disability."
 
EagleSmack
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Was in the 60s. Nowadays it's probably "attempt to gently tap the friend to encourage him to share the ball with everyone regardless of race, sex, gender orientation, or disability."

Then afterwards give them all watered down juice while they share their feelings.
 
Jinentonix
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Then afterwards give them all watered down juice while they share their feelings.

Don't forget about the 'everyone gets a participation' trophy.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#18
And the no-scorekeeping soccer match.
 
EagleSmack
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Don't forget about the 'everyone gets a participation' trophy.

And after they gather for gluten free flax treats and watered down juice.
 
petros
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Roger that. I hear they don't even let twelve-year-olds smoke these days!

They vape now.

In other news coastal BC kale crops have been decimated by Global Warming.
 
selfsame
#21
The whole fruit may be better, but the juice and the other food products like jam and sweets made of fruits .. no harm, very good in moderate amount.

I tell you, this is in the Quran.
36: 35, which means:

35. That they may eat from the fruit [of the date-palm and the vines], and of [its syrup: the ‘dibis’ and its jam] that [they] have done by their own hands.

Will not they then be grateful!?


http://quran-ayat.com/pret/36.htm#a36_34
< quran-ayat.com/pret/36.htm#a36_34 >

See also:
http://quran-ayat.com/pret/16.htm#a16_67
< quran-ayat.com/pret/16.htm#a16_67 >
Last edited by selfsame; May 23rd, 2017 at 04:49 PM..
 
TenPenny
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by selfsame View Post

The whole fruit may be better, but the juice and the other food products like jam and sweets made of fruits .. no harm, very good in moderate amount.

I tell you, this is in the Quran.
36: 35, which means:

35. That they may eat from the fruit [of the date-palm and the vines], and of [its syrup: the ‘dibis’ and its jam] that [they] have done by their own hands.

Will not they then be grateful!?


http://quran-ayat.com/pret/36.htm#a36_34
< quran-ayat.com/pret/36.htm#a36_34 >

See also:
http://quran-ayat.com/pret/16.htm#a16_67
< quran-ayat.com/pret/16.htm#a16_67 >


It's always the juice with you, just another Zionist conspiracy.
 
Musky
#23
Zionists are bad/good....or something.

Just ask Pete and his sister or vice versa.

It's like watching "split".
 
Cliffy
#24
 
Johnnny
#25
I drink apple juice, but I dilute it with either real cranberry juice and pomegranate juice. Way healthier and it has bite, like Barqs.
 
gopher
#26
when I was a little kid every household had one of these:







The Baby Boomer generation did quite well with it. There simply cannot be anything wrong with drinking a glass of fresh juice every day.
 

Similar Threads

9
Question about Pomegranate Juice
by Johnnny | Jul 5th, 2016
0
That's a whole lot of orange juice
by Locutus | Apr 12th, 2016
2