Our Canadian-American 2010 Winter Olympics

Liberalman
Free Thinker

I thought this was a Canadian event so why did the torch passed to an American athlete that ran with it on American soil and why did they get an American celebrity governor to run with it in Canada in Stanley Park.

Is this Harper’s doing?

Is he securing a green card for the day when he and his party lose the next federal election?

When Harper was addressing the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia the first Canadian sitting Prime Minister ever, he talked about the rich history of Canada and how proud he was he must have forgotten that when the American kicked all the British loyalists out of their new country and put them on the shores of Upper Canada, but yet this Prime Minister just like to pick and choose his history.

As soon as Harper believes that America is our Neighbour America is not our nation then we will have a better leader if Harper doesn’t believe it then he is just pisssing in the wind

ironsides
No Party Affiliation

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Are Canadian women tough or not? 2 Thumbs up to them. Go gals.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Canadian women's hockey team set an Olympic record on Saturday night, welcoming Slovakia to its first Winter Games tournament with an 18-0 demolition at Hockey Place. Before you shed a tear for the Slovaks, keep in mind they're the national that defeated Bulgaria by the score of 82-0 in an infamous game in 2008.
Canada sets record, 18-0, as women's hockey faces criticism - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

I thought this was a Canadian event so why did the torch passed to an American athlete that ran with it on American soil and why did they get an American celebrity governor to run with it in Canada in Stanley Park.

Is this Harper’s doing?

Is he securing a green card for the day when he and his party lose the next federal election?

When Harper was addressing the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia the first Canadian sitting Prime Minister ever, he talked about the rich history of Canada and how proud he was he must have forgotten that when the American kicked all the British loyalists out of their new country and put them on the shores of Upper Canada, but yet this Prime Minister just like to pick and choose his history.

As soon as Harper believes that America is our Neighbour America is not our nation then we will have a better leader if Harper doesn’t believe it then he is just pisssing in the wind

You might want to check your facts, liberalman. Arnie is buds with our premier Gordon Campbell and it would be the latters influence over VANOC that percipitated Arnie's running with the Torch.

Stephen Harper had nothing to do with it. So rail against him all you want but pick something that is actually true, okay.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Are Canadian women tough or not? 2 Thumbs up to them. Go gals.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Canadian women's hockey team set an Olympic record on Saturday night, welcoming Slovakia to its first Winter Games tournament with an 18-0 demolition at Hockey Place. Before you shed a tear for the Slovaks, keep in mind they're the national that defeated Bulgaria by the score of 82-0 in an infamous game in 2008.
Canada sets record, 18-0, as women's hockey faces criticism - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

What a game, Ironsides and thanks for the kudos for our women. Of course the real test of skills will come when they meet your fantastic US women's team.

GO CANADA GO!

talloola
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

You might want to check your facts, liberalman. Arnie is buds with our premier Gordon Campbell and it would be the latters influence over VANOC that percipitated Arnie's running with the Torch.

Stephen Harper had nothing to do with it. So rail against him all you want but pick something that is actually true, okay.

I am guessing that Arnie begged and pleaded like a little
child, 'please please can I run'?, until they just let
let him, so he wouldn't cry and make a fuss.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I am guessing that Arnie begged and pleaded like a little
child, 'please please can I run'?, until they just let
let him, so he wouldn't cry and make a fuss.

I doubt he would have had to whine too hard, tallola, Campbell would bend over backwards to accomodate him just as he has for other things in the past. Just glad his run was in the dark and very few people, considering the later crowds, were out to see him.

talloola
No Party Affiliation

I doubt he would have had to whine too hard, tallola, Campbell would bend over backwards to accomodate him just as he has for other things in the past. Just glad his run was in the dark and very few people, considering the later crowds, were out to see him.

yeah, and it reminds me of the childrens 'quiz', when they
look at a picture and have to name the article that
'doesn't belong.

countryboy
No Party Affiliation

You forgot to point out to Liberalman that Gordon Campbell heads up the LIBERAL Party of BC.

RhondaSue46
I'm American, but I would love to see the Canadians win as many medals as they can since they are on their home turf. Gorgeous opening ceremony by the way.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by RhondaSue46 View Post

I'm American, but I would love to see the Canadians win as many medals as they can since they are on their home turf. Gorgeous opening ceremony by the way.

The Americans have a good team so a lot of golds will go your way

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

You forgot to point out to Liberalman that Gordon Campbell heads up the LIBERAL Party of BC.

That would make a difference if the liberal Party of BC was actually Liberal, but, they are not, and anyone that thinks they are... is a total retard, when it comes to BC politics.

countryboy
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

That would make a difference if the liberal Party of BC was actually Liberal, but, they are not, and anyone that thinks they are... is a total retard, when it comes to BC politics.

Thanks for pointing that out, Gerry. I was hoping to slip that one by Liberalman for a bit of fun, being as how his avatar name and Gordon Campbell's party have the same name.

I don't know of anyone who completely understands BC politics, as it is a bit unique. That's not to say we're all a bunch of "total retards", but some do seem to work harder at it than others.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by RhondaSue46 View Post

Now this is what I call having the Olympic Spirit. Thank you so much, Rhonda Sue for both the good wishes and your appreciation of the opening ceremony.

The US has many outstanding athletes and I congratulate them all and wish them the best of these games.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

yeah, and it reminds me of the childrens 'quiz', when they
look at a picture and have to name the article that
'doesn't belong.

Ah well, Arnie's bit did not lessen my feeling of pride in our nation and its citizens. I watched the entire torch run in Vancouver. Seeing the looks on the faces of ordinary Canadians chosen to carry the Olympic Torch made my heart just swell. It kept doing so when the cameras would pan to the faces of the kids in the crowd - wow! The joy, the hope, the excitement and the wonder on those little faces was something to behold.

The opening ceremonies were watched by over two-thirds of Canadians. The largest audience for a single event in our history. That says something.

The positive energy that emanates from people caught up in the spirit of these games is phenomenal. Those positive feelings about Canada and our people will have a far reaching effect. Happy, positive people tend to look at external events and forces in a better light and do not necessarily get caught up in the negativity.

Indeed, these games may even have a positive effect on our economy. We can only hope, and in the meantime cheer on our athletes. May they do their very best knowing that we support them - no matter what.

GO, CANADA, GO!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Now if they could just win a couple or three billion $ to pay for themselves ........

Mowich
Conservative

The Americans have a good team so a lot of golds will go your way

They most certainly do, liberalman, and Apolo Anton Ohno is one of the very best. His performance in the speed skating semi last night was absolutely stunning. He came up through the skaters ahead of him in such a deceptively smooth manner that I was almost surprised to see him in front. Fantastic athlete.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Now if they could just win a couple or three billion $ to pay for themselves ........

Well Nancy Green-Raines went on to become a Senator. She also built and still owns a fantastically successful ski resort that, I imagine, pays pretty hefty taxes. She has been a mentor and hero to children all over Canada. She may not pay back the actual cash but in my mind her contibutions to Canada are well worth taxpayer's investment in her training.

There are other examples of Canadian athletes who have given much back to our country so I would not be surprised to see our investments in these young Olympians, returned in the future.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Is this Harper’s doing?

I'm not sure if this is one of them but there are instances where you can give something away without diminishing what you have left for yourself.

talloola
No Party Affiliation

Ah well, Arnie's bit did not lessen my feeling of pride in our nation and its citizens. I watched the entire torch run in Vancouver. Seeing the looks on the faces of ordinary Canadians chosen to carry the Olympic Torch made my heart just swell. It kept doing so when the cameras would pan to the faces of the kids in the crowd - wow! The joy, the hope, the excitement and the wonder on those little faces was something to behold.

The opening ceremonies were watched by over two-thirds of Canadians. The largest audience for a single event in our history. That says something.

The positive energy that emanates from people caught up in the spirit of these games is phenomenal. Those positive feelings about Canada and our people will have a far reaching effect. Happy, positive people tend to look at external events and forces in a better light and do not necessarily get caught up in the negativity.

Indeed, these games may even have a positive effect on our economy. We can only hope, and in the meantime cheer on our athletes. May they do their very best knowing that we support them - no matter what.

GO, CANADA, GO!

yeah I agree, just to add, arnie's face was not one of the
little happy ones, but probably the largest one, with a
very large set of teeth.
probably frightened most of the wildlife in the park. lol

EagleSmack

Well that is not entirely accurate either. The Loyalist basically backed the wrong horse and left with the British troops knowing that they were pretty much finished.