EnCana Skyscraper Building

Hank C Cheyenne
...anyone else hear about Encana planning to build a new skyscraper in Calgary?...I read about it a few times in the paper this summer.....

..the tallest building in Calgary current is the Petro- Canada building I think its around 700ft tall....which would make it the tallest skyscraper in western Canada and taller that any in Montreal....... Toronto is the only city with a taller skyscraper..and I believe it has a couple of buildings in the 900ft range.

....but Encana is planning 2 towers in downtown Calgary and one of them is set to surpass in height the Petro-Canada building....I think Encana will have around 8 or 9 more floors...which will hopefully put it close to or above 800ft.

.....but I coulden't find the specific height the building is planned to be all i know is that its around 60 floors or so....if anyone has more info be sure to share it.....

Vanni Fucci
Who really gives a rat's ass...

I mean, anyone building skyscrapers that tall are obviously harbouring near-debilitating feelings of inadequacy...

Over-compensate much?

Ocean Breeze
http://sev.prnewswire.com/real-estat...6102005-1.html

hey Vanni. One can narrow down the inadequacies ( sky scraper related) to the "erotic" level ..........

* but I think you already know that ...

Vanni Fucci
Oh yeah...

The phallic symbology is obvious, and quite amusing...

Hank C Cheyenne
....It will be pretty exciting watching this thing go up especially if its gonna be that tall.....I drive by downtown almost daily and will get to see the thing in progress....one thing I have never seen before is the actual building of a skyscraper....

...I also read about a building called the Shangri La being built in Vancouver.... it's only gonna be 640ft but will be tallest building in Vancouver yet.....its supposedly has a condo at the very top that is something like 20 million dollars....

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

....It will be pretty exciting watching this thing go up especially if its gonna be that tall.....

Well don't get too excited with the...erm...erection...:P

...wouldn't want you get into an accident now would we?

Reverend Blair
Tell us more about your fascination with long, hard things, Hank.

Hank C Cheyenne
......if you look at my Avatar the building on the far left with the white top is one of the twin buildings tied for second tallest buildings in Calgary...... soon to be tied for 3rd or 4th tallest depending on the new Encana towers....

Quote:

...hey bud im not the one preoccupied with homosexual fantasys.... pretty bad

nitzomoe
this si great news! its good that Calgary isnt involved in a massive buildoff like other cities around the world*cough* dubai*cough*. Canada currently needs an extra 16 million square feet of office space and this encana proposal as well as the new cadillac-fairview building in T.O should help.

I think the idea that highrise is a phallic symbol is a rather superficial look at such buildings. granted the Cn Tower/skydome does look like a penis and vagina but thats where it should end. High rise buildings are a necessary elemnt in an urban neighbourhood and theres no reason why it cant be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

nitzomoe
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/

to anyone interested its a forum on all things contsruction -bridges,airports, transport and even skyscrapers

Hank C Cheyenne
thanks for the link..... from what I heard the Caddilac Fairview is high rise condos not skyscrapers....but you know how tall the buildings are planned?

you hear about the Shangri La in Vancouver?

nitzomoe
Quote:

thanks for the link..... from what I heard the Caddilac Fairview is high rise condos not skyscrapers....but you know how tall the buildings are planned?

its a consortium between cadillac-fairview and Ritz-Carleton. Two buildings are planned, one the ritz-carlton hotel condo 48 storeys and the other a 51 storey office building. they should be up by 2008! most highrise construction is condos in to and pretty poor quality. Trump tower should be the tallest when its done construction 2008 at 68 storeys 1,048 feet.

havent heard about the shngri-la but will research when im free, thanks.

Ocean Breeze
Hank.......gotta ask. What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this??? What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

How will it make Calgary a higher QUALITY city??? Or is it just cosmetics.???

or am I missing something much "deeper"???

nitzomoe
Quote:

What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this???

1) just like any creation of humanity it is revered,(fire, ships, cars etc.) by building these things big or taller or faster we are pushing the lid on what humans can or cannot do and celebrating our humanity.

Quote:

What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

2) This building will house the headquarters of Encana, whose offices are currently in a multitued of different buildings. By centralising their headquarters in one building, they are saving money in the long-term, increasing efficiency and consumer approval ratings. They are also creating sunrise jobs (jobs available because of another industry) such as restarurants, daycare services etc, which benefits the economy and the consumers, which brings me to your final question:

Quote:

3) Construction will provide more than 2,000 new permanent jobs for 3 years (based on construction specs for a 2 million square foot building) it will also creative sunrise jobs(i think the ratio is 1 to 2.2 not sure though). As new office space is required, the vacant former offices of excana will in turn be leased to other companies, providing for huge investment in the province and a great benefit to Calgary, improving standard of living, lower unemployment levels. I think its great that calgary is taking advantage of its relatively low rent prices for this sort of thing. It also gives calgary more of a spotlight and a crown for business in alberta. Aesthetic purposes are also a consideration though most skyscrapers built nowadays have poor architecture.

no1important
Calgary will never become half the city Vancouver is. :

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by nitzomoe

Quote:

What is this fascination with having the tallest building??? What kind of competition is this???

1) just like any creation of humanity it is revered,(fire, ships, cars etc.) by building these things big or taller or faster we are pushing the lid on what humans can or cannot do and celebrating our humanity.

Quote:

What does it achieve??? It almost sounds like some kind of "worship" (fetish??).... maybe some power trip???

2) This building will house the headquarters of Encana, whose offices are currently in a multitued of different buildings. By centralising their headquarters in one building, they are saving money in the long-term, increasing efficiency and consumer approval ratings. They are also creating sunrise jobs (jobs available because of another industry) such as restarurants, daycare services etc, which benefits the economy and the consumers, which brings me to your final question:

Quote:

3) Construction will provide more than 2,000 new permanent jobs for 3 years (based on construction specs for a 2 million square foot building) it will also creative sunrise jobs(i think the ratio is 1 to 2.2 not sure though). As new office space is required, the vacant former offices of excana will in turn be leased to other companies, providing for huge investment in the province and a great benefit to Calgary, improving standard of living, lower unemployment levels. I think its great that calgary is taking advantage of its relatively low rent prices for this sort of thing. It also gives calgary more of a spotlight and a crown for business in alberta. Aesthetic purposes are also a consideration though most skyscrapers built nowadays have poor architecture.

the questions posed were essentially rhetorical.

What you describe.......is understood. Applies to most new massive projects.

It is likely to give Calgary a more defined identity. (West Edmonton Mall ......"defines" Edmonton . Cities .....just as man..... strive for that unique identity.

( it is also an ego thing as well.........IMHO).....

Reverend Blair
I still think that there is wayyyyy to much on long, hard things by Hank.

MMMike
Quote: Originally Posted by nitzomoe

its a consortium between cadillac-fairview and Ritz-Carleton. Two buildings are planned, one the ritz-carlton hotel condo 48 storeys and the other a 51 storey office building. they should be up by 2008! most highrise construction is condos in to and pretty poor quality. Trump tower should be the tallest when its done construction 2008 at 68 storeys 1,048 feet.

havent heard about the shngri-la but will research when im free, thanks.

As far as I know, there is no relationship between Cadillac Fairview and the Ritz Carlton. The latter has been on the books for at least a couple years, but the Cadillac Fairview tower was just announced. Good for the City, anyway... hopefully will restart the downtown commercial bldg construction. And someday something will be done about "the stump".

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Which is likely a good thing.....

nitzomoe
Quote:

As far as I know, there is no relationship between Cadillac Fairview and the Ritz Carlton. The latter has been on the books for at least a couple years, but the Cadillac Fairview tower was just announced. Good for the City, anyway... hopefully will restart the downtown commercial bldg construction. And someday something will be done about "the stump".

the recent announcement for the cadillac-fairview building stated two buildings were to built, the cadillac-fairview office building and directly across the road the ritz-calton. Both buildings are practically identical in design too. Such a relationship exists to CF's benefit as it will be taking a 40% investment and control of the ritz-carleton building.

This was in a recent Toronto star article which i cant find but more info can be found http://cpnonline.com/cpn/specialties..._id=1001218323

Hank C Cheyenne
Quote:

Calgary will never become half the city Vancouver is.

.....in what context? there are many ways you can look at...... Vancouver has a more lively downtown, ocean, mountains,warmer climate, and a very relaxing left-wing atmosphere.....almost like a mini San Francisco....

Calgary on the other hand..... larger more interesting skyline, the Stampede (for 10 days downtown becomes twice as lively as Vancouver), mountians, better roads and freeways, way more corporate head offices, a upbeat hard working right-wing atmosphere......

....also you have to take into account that Vancouver is a larger city however Calgary is growing very fast.......when I was born it was probably the size of Regina.....

both great cities tho.....

Hank C Cheyenne
Quote:

...hey Rev you seem soo preoccupied with homosexuality..... I mean you bring it up soo much......are you taking advantage of our new marrage law...and if ya are then power to ya...also here's something I know YOU will enjoy.......

.......looks like Rev... Vanni Fucci and ...hmmm is that peapod in there!!

GL Schmitt
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

It certainly won't have the harbours.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

hey Rev you seem soo preoccupied with homosexuality..... I mean you bring it up soo much......are you taking advantage of our new marrage law...and if ya are then power to ya...also here's something I know YOU will enjoy.

Sorry to disappoint you, Hanky, but I'm not gay. So what if I was though? I mean, I still wouldn't date a tasteless fool like you.

You seem unsure not just of your sexuality, but your manhood, Hanky. Two completely different things, I realise, but all indications are that you lack both.

GreenGreta
If I said this was the most boring thing I have ever read, would it upset you? Woo the tallest building, wow, look at me, I have the tallest building, I'm a feckin hero...

Playing with blocks is for children innit?

Hank C Cheyenne
Quote:

If I said this was the most boring thing I have ever read, would it upset you? Woo the tallest building, wow, look at me, I have the tallest building, I'm a feckin hero...

Playing with blocks is for children innit?

....and yet you took the time to post your negative opinions...funny. If you don't want to discuss skyscrapers going up then don't read the thread...it's simple.

.....and I find the talk about buldings representing some kind of "phallic symbology" immature....why would a skyscraper stir those kinda feelings in your sicks minds?

......you forget the architecture and other aspects of these buldings...... the Trump building in Toronto, and the Encana Skycraper in Calgary will help serve the skyline greatly....although nowaday's the true skyscrapers are being built in Asia.

...except I heard that they are building the freedom tower in New York City right where the Twin Towers were knocked down by terrorists....and this is supposed to be the tallest building on the planet when completed.

no1important
Towering plan set for Surrey
Would be Canada's highest at 81 storeys

SURREY - Preliminary plans are underway to construct Canada's tallest highrise in Surrey -- a massive 81-storey building with residential, commercial and hotel space, Mayor Doug McCallum says.

"This will be the tallest building in Canada," McCallum told The Vancouver Sun in an exclusive interview Wednesday.

"It's 81 floors. That's four times the height of Central City, which is the tallest building [in Surrey] now."

If built, the project would be much taller than Vancouver's current tallest building, the 48-storey Wall Centre, and the skyscraper that's going to take over that title, the 60-storey Shangri-La, once it's completed in about 2008.

First Canadian Place in Toronto says on its website that it is now the country's tallest highrise, at 72 storeys. The CN Tower in Toronto remains Canada's tallest free-standing structure, stretching 1,815 feet (553 metres).

The proposed 81-storey Surrey building to be located near the King George SkyTrain station would, at about 900 feet, be four times higher than the tallest structure in Surrey right now: the 20-storey Central City office tower, attached to a shopping mall and an SFU campus, on 102 Avenue.

click above link for rest.

How do you like them apples?

Hank C Cheyenne
wow....I never heard of this building before but this is pretty big....so it will be the tallest building in Canada.....

I wonder why they would build it in Surrey though which is kinda like a suburb of Vancouver.....but I guess Surrey is expected to grow larger in population than Vancouver in the near future. But ya I have to say that does seem to outdo the Encana skyscraper in Calgary although I believe Encana will be building two towers downtown.

Thanks for the link

Hank C Cheyenne
...actually the Surrey building proposal will not be the tallest building in Canada....it will have the most floors though..... the Surrey proposal would be Canada's third tallest building at 900 feet. The Bank of Montreal and Scotiabank headquarters in Toronto are both taller at 978 and 902 feet respectively....so again tallest is not determined by number of floors.....but still exciting for Surrey residents though.