Feds spent $10,681 on photos of Catherine McKenna and her staff in Paris

Locutus
Feds spent $10,681 on photos of Catherine McKenna and her staff during Paris climate change talks

Why are these women still cabinet ministers? Someone please tell PM Cuck that it's 2016.

Feds spent $10,681 on photos of Catherine McKenna and her staff during Paris climate change talks

Nearly all the photos from COP21 published by the department feature McKenna herself.

She appears in almost every shot from the conference posted on her ministerial and departmental Twitter accounts, and in each of the 23 pictures currently on ECCC’s Flickr photo-sharing account.

“Photos, like press releases, social media and other communications tools, are a way to communicate to Canadians the work the government is doing on their behalf,” McKenna’s spokesperson, Caitlyn Workman, said in an email.

Health Minister Jane Philpott to repay $520 for Air Canada lounge access

The controversy surrounding Jane Philpott's travel expenses grew Monday as evidence surfaced that the federal Liberal health minister billed taxpayers $520 for access to Air Canada's executive airport lounges in North America and Europe.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Why are these women still cabinet ministers? Someone please tell PM Cuck that it's 2016.

Nearly all the photos from COP21 published by the department feature McKenna herself.

She appears in almost every shot from the conference posted on her ministerial and departmental Twitter accounts, and in each of the 23 pictures currently on ECCC’s Flickr photo-sharing account.

“Photos, like press releases, social media and other communications tools, are a way to communicate to Canadians the work the government is doing on their behalf,” McKenna’s spokesperson, Caitlyn Workman, said in an email.

The controversy surrounding Jane Philpott's travel expenses grew Monday as evidence surfaced that the federal Liberal health minister billed taxpayers $520 for access to Air Canada's executive airport lounges in North America and Europe.

That's pretty awful. The next thing you know Liberal cabinet ministers will be flying around in helicopters commandeered from the military.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Women were supposed to fix our corrupt male society. What happened?

Locutus
David Akin Verified account ‏@davidakin

This is the Flickr album that cost $10K? 6 pics and allof 34 views?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/enviro...57662215972146

Feds spent $6,662 on photos of Catherine McKenna and her staff during Paris climate change talks | CTV News

Meanwhile, Another five hundred that a certain health minister will be paying back.

Liberals, folks, entitled to their entitlements. Same as it ever was.

#potatocamera

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Meanwhile, Another five hundred that a certain health minister will be paying back.

Question is whose money will she be using to pay it back?

Remington1
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking, And I plan on finding out what that is" Could this be the new Liberal logo?

Machjo
+3
#7  Top Rated Post
Meanwhile public schools continue to be underfunded, street kids continue to be homeless, suffer mental health problems, become addicted to drugs to numb the pain, and turn to prostitution to support the drug problem, food banks are short of food, homeless shelters are bursting at the seams.

But priorities I say.

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Meanwhile public schools continue to be underfunded, street kids continue to be homeless, suffer mental health problems, become addicted to drugs to numb the pain, and turn to prostitution to support the drug problem, food banks are short of food, homeless shelters are bursting at the seams.

But priorities I say.

LOL.... Peasant problems.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Just wondering if there is any connection between the photographer that charged $10k and the liberal party?

gerryh

But priorities I say.

and which one of those problems is a federal and which are provincial?

Hint, Schools are provincial.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Does it matter which jurisdiction which issue falls under? All governments waste money like toilet paper at all levels. Your comment appears to be defending the waste of $10k on some pics for facebook...kinda tells where your priorities are.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

Does it matter which jurisdiction which issue falls under? All governments waste money like toilet paper at all levels. Your comment appears to be defending the waste of $10k on some pics for facebook...kinda tells where your priorities are.

It "appears" does it, maybe get your eyes checked. This thread is about federal waste. The majority of shyte that machjo posted does not fall under federal authority. Not that I expect him to get very much right when he posts.

As for the "10K", there are 2 links there, and their titles have 2 different amounts. Which is it, 10k or 6k, or is it a significantly lower number? Did the Conservatives spend a similar amount of money during a similar event for a similar thing? I would lay odds that the answer is yes, but that the right wing pundits would rather ignore that.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1

It "appears" does it, maybe get your eyes checked. This thread is about federal waste. The majority of shyte that machjo posted does not fall under federal authority. Not that I expect him to get very much right when he posts.

As for the "10K", there are 2 links there, and their titles have 2 different amounts. Which is it, 10k or 6k, or is it a significantly lower number? Did the Conservatives spend a similar amount of money during a similar event for a similar thing? I would lay odds that the answer is yes, but that the right wing pundits would rather ignore that.

I don't care if it's 10 or 6 and I don't care if it's Libs or PC or NDP or even my own Libertarians it's still waste and should be stopped.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+2
All governments do stuff like that. Its annoying. I dont get the purpose of hiring a photographer when there will be plenty of press people with cameras around doing i for free.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Question is whose money will she be using to pay it back?

Doesnt really matter to me as long as its paid. Their own pay cheque, a friend or relative, bank loan - just do it.

gerryh

I don't care if it's 10 or 6 and I don't care if it's Libs or PC or NDP or even my own Libertarians it's still waste and should be stopped.

Agreed, and they are looking at cutting back and being more transparent.

Catherine McKenna calls for review after $6,600 photography bill at climate summit - Politics - CBC News

and here's a lil tidbit that the con supporters would rather forget about when pointing the finger at the Libs.

Quote:

During their time in office, the Conservatives faced questions of their own about photography expenses. An iPolitics investigation found that the former government of Stephen Harper spent more than $2.3 million to photograph Conservative cabinet ministers at various events during its time in office. For example, the photography bill for Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird's week at the United Nations in 2014 cost $13,113.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1

Agreed, and they are looking at cutting back and being more transparent.

Catherine McKenna calls for review after $6,600 photography bill at climate summit - Politics - CBC News

and here's a lil tidbit that the con supporters would rather forget about when pointing the finger at the Libs.

The real question is would she be calling for a review and such had it not been exposed. I would guess most likely not. Same with the limos and luxury lounge pass etc. You can't do this stuff and expect paying it back once caught with your hand in the honey pot makes it better. Their obvious intention was to not use their own money and not be responsible with taxpayer funds.

gerryh

The real question is would she be calling for a review and such had it not been exposed. I would guess most likely not. Same with the limos and luxury lounge pass etc. You can't do this stuff and expect paying it back once caught with your hand in the honey pot makes it better. Their obvious intention was to not use their own money and not be responsible with taxpayer funds.

As I have pointed out, paying for photographers is not something new. The cons were very adapt at it. I don't remember them ever saying that they would look at ways to cut back on that expense. McKenna is. What her staff did is norm for the ministry. She, personally, did not benefit.

The limos and the lounge passes, that was outside the "norm", but then again, none have commandeered an armed forces helicopter to ferry them around.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1

As I have pointed out, paying for photographers is not something new. The cons were very adapt at it. I don't remember them ever saying that they would look at ways to cut back on that expense. McKenna is. What her staff did is norm for the ministry. She, personally, did not benefit.

The limos and the lounge passes, that was outside the "norm", but then again, none have commandeered an armed forces helicopter to ferry them around.

Again...Would she be 'looking into it' if she hadn't been caught? I think not.

petros

But priorities I say.

All of those are Provincial issues, not Federal

gerryh

McKenna? She wasn't "caught". Her ministry did what every other ministry has done previous. She has decided to look at the policies because people are questioning the expense in todays economy.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+2

McKenna? She wasn't "caught". Her ministry did what every other ministry has done previous. She has decided to look at the policies because people are questioning the expense in todays economy.

Exactly. She did it just because and if nobody questioned it she would do it again and again and again.These people have no sense of accountability for public money at all. I include all the big party politicians in that federal and provincial.

tay

Exactly. She did it just because and if nobody questioned it she would do it again and again and again.These people have no sense of accountability for public money at all. I include all the big party politicians in that federal and provincial.

Yes they should all be included.....

The opposition Conservative Party is up in arms this week over the expenses that two Liberal cabinet ministers recently charged to the public purse.

It’s a sight to see.

As for the photos, we’re glad to hear Ms. McKenna will look at ways of reducing that cost in the future. It is something her Conservative critics never did during their decade in power, but should have.

An investigation by iPolitics.ca last year revealed that the Harper government spent $2.3-million on photographers to follow around Tory cabinet ministers between 2006 and 2015. The photographers recorded some 2,500 events in all. The Liberal opposition criticized them for it – and then picked up where they left off.

Perhaps taxpayers get so angry about politicians’ expenses for the simple reason that small figures are comprehensible. It is easy to get exercized about a cabinet minister who spends $18 on a glass of orange juice, because we all know the worth of a glass of orange juice. But, say, $4.79-million on “grade paving” for Toronto’s transit system, as Mr. Trudeau announced in his infrastructure package on Tuesday? Hard to know if that’s the price or not.

Politicians and taxpayers are not wrong to wave their finger at ministers, members and senators who become too self-entitled to their entitlements. The fact that Ms. Philpott’s use of a party loyalist’s overpriced car service will now be investigated by the federal ethics commissioner is proof of that.

But anyone truly worried about government spending needs to set their sights higher. That $1.5-billion in Ontario transit spending announced on Tuesday? It’s just one small piece of a Liberal plan to spend $125-billion on infrastructure over the next 10 years. One-hundred-and-twenty-five. Billion.

That’s where the real money is, and where the real waste can happen. The nickel-and-dime stuff has its place, but it is more theatre than real fiscal accountability.

more

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/when-it-comes-to-the-money-that-politicians-spend-we-worry-about-the-wrong-stuff/article31520824/

Locutus
+1
the more they say things will change the more they stay the same.

#sunnyways

Machjo

Just wondering if there is any connection between the photographer that charged $10k and the liberal party?

Doubt it. He wasn't even Canadian.

That's not the problem though: I agree with simply hiring the most qualified person for the job at the best price, and given that it was in Paris and the photographer was in Paris, he might have been the best photographer at the best price.

The problem is whether photographs are a priority.

Wrong. Schools on reserves are Federal funding.

Secondly, provinces sometimes fund provincial programmes using transfer payments.

Thridly, reduced federal spending could allleviate federal taxes and so allow provincess to raise their taxes. High federal taxes make it difficult for provinces to raise theirs.

Are you aware the the same taxpayers fund all levels of government?

to be fair to her and even the party, maybe it was a civil servant who had made the decision based on past policy. On that front, I actually don't blame her or her party necessarily nor necessarily expect her to pay it back if she hadn't expected that a civil servant would do this.

And if the civil servant was just doing his job as told as per past policy, I coudl even forgive him.

The important thing is, what to do so it doesn't hapepn again.

That is what I'll be looking at.

I don't know.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

All of those are Provincial issues, not Federal

Wrong. education on reserves is federal funding.

And some provincial funding comes from federal transfers.

And federal taxes reduce provincial wiggle room to raise its own taxes. Why? Because it all comes form the same taxpayer in the end.

Exactly. She did it just because and if nobody questioned it she would do it again and again and again.These people have no sense of accountability for public money at all. I include all the big party politicians in that federal and p

rovincial.

Again, did she do it or did a civil servant do it without her knowledge or at least consent?

And even then, the civil servant might have been following past policy.

Mowich
Conservative
+2

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Just when you thought it might not be any worse....

3 bureaucrats spent $12Gs dining in Paris, and we picked up the bill | Canada |
Quote:

During his 16 days in Paris, Guenette billed the taxpayer for $4,599 in meals. That's $288 a day. Just for food.

Guenette no longer works at Environment Canada and could not be reached Tuesday.

The second biggest meal claim from Paris was made by Matt Jones, currently listed as the executive director of policy development at Environment Canada. His tastes added up to $4,176.44 for the 12 days he spent in Paris. Wendy Weise, another communications advisor in McKenna's department, spent $3,966.95 on meals over 15 days.

McKenna, who spent 15 days in Paris, filed meal claims worth about $1,500.

$12k for 3 people to eat for 2 weeks....That must have been quite the menu or $10,000 in tips.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

That's pretty awful. The next thing you know Liberal cabinet ministers will be flying around in helicopters commandeered from the military.

With Justin it's all about appearances and of course that philosophy is bound to rub off on his minions!