Strange... & Really Strange News-bites

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Thanks. Should have figured that out myself. duh !!!

Of course you should have. It's your hijack. Like all your other anti American hijacks.

Duh, indeed.

Ocean Breeze
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Of course you should have. It's your hijack. Like all your other anti American hijacks.

Duh, indeed.

For someone who claims to have no borders , there should be no such thing as anti-americanism in your world view. Everything should be coalesced into one big pot. By being confrontational , you are opposing your own stated philosophy. Where is that tolerance that comes with someone at peace within himself , and where no borders exist??

Ariadne
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

It's what you call a thread hijack. Bear is famous for that.

Maybe they tried inhaling the helium.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

Maybe they tried inhaling the helium.

LOL...... and he could be heading for Mars as we speak.

...thanks for the giggle.

CDNBear

For someone who claims to have no borders , there should be no such thing as anti-americanism in your world view.

You can try and project your issues all you want. In the end you still own them.

Quote:

Everything should be coalesced into one big pot.

No, that's you that generalizes.

Quote:

By being confrontational , you are opposing your own stated philosophy.

Although you are wrong, I'm addressing an individual, you generalize entire groups of people. I grew out of that.

Quote:

Where is that tolerance that comes with someone at peace within himself , and where no borders exist??

Where's the intolerance? I haven't said you don't have the right to speak, I haven't called for your silence. All I have done is question your rhetoric and point out your provable ignorance. Can you point out where I claimed inner peace? Or is that just another thing you made up as you go along?

I can see why you would see my post as confrontational and intolerant though.

karrie
+1
I have to ask... wtf does YT stand for?

lone wolf
+1
I'm kind of curious about the YT thing too....

Ariadne
You Turkey? Here comes Mars?

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I'm kind of curious about the YT thing too....

Yours Truly. as in I, me ......first person.

petros
Ahhhhhh. I don't Txt.

Ariadne
Aren't you supposed to sign off with "Regards" rather than "Yours Truly"? Did that not change and I thought it changed?

petros
+1
Dear Mabel,

I don't know what is more frightening the persistent shelling, from the big German guns or you incessant whining. I hope the weather clear up soon.

Forever Thine,
Agar.

Ariadne
Dear Mable;

I don't know what is more frightening: the persistent shelling from the big German guns, or you incessantly whining. I hope the weather clears up soon.

Regards,
Egor

petros
Letters of Agar Adamson, 1914-1919

It's is an amazing read.

Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online

Dear Mabel

3 March. I counted seven dead horses just outside my trench yesterday there is also a dead Frenchman there and has been for a long time. We got orders reading ‘Keep the Shelley Farm on your right, and pass between the broken tree and the dead Frenchman on your right’, so the poor fellow was being of some use in death.

Forever Thine,
Agar

Ariadne
WW1 was carried out, in some ways, as an extention of the unrest and trench war that was thrust upon the world at the time of Napoleon. That may also have something to do with why most people didn't blink an eye when someone like Hitler assumed the helm and continued where Napoleon left off. The Napoleon trench war was invented long before the Russian front.

petros
My dear Mabel,
We moved up last night from our support dugouts, having been fairly well shelled.
Gow shot badly, was alive when we left, 4 men killed, 9 wounded, 2 went mad, 6 in what is called "in a state of collapse", having been shelled all day and having to remain underground all day.

Today in advance trenches since last night under very heavy artillery fire, living in deep ditches, 5 killed, 11 wounded, 1 machine gun smashed to pieces and crews buried and wounded. Capt. Gray badly shot. Counter attack by British on Hill 60 failed to dislodge the enemy. Enemy in front of us advancing their line of trenches and sniping force every direction, fire from Maxims and artillery come from 3 different directions. Our artillery almost silent and out-ranged in many places. Lieut. Bainsmith wounded.

We are relieved tomorrow night but return to dugouts, equally dangerous, though out of rifle fire. A man cannot show himself without the artillery letting off at the position. I think a trapped rat would be a more accurate simile than the Knight in Alice in Wonderland. Gault, Niven, and I sleep in one dugout.

You did not send me the photographs. I forgot if the bats did arrive, back at the transport, they could very well be used here as a weapon of defence, when our ammunition runs out. Thank you for sending them. We now have 400 fighting men and 7 officers. Hence it is up with us.

Two men have gone mad and have had to be disarmed.

It seems to be certain that this line cannot be held and we are only making a bluff of it."

Forever Thine,
Agar.

Ariadne
I wonder if the fat lady is singing.

A story my father told me ... about war ... he said "third light unlucky". First, they see it, second they aim, third they shoot.

Ariadne
My father was a lieutenant in WW2 ... but I think he was working with the underground at the same time. I wish he was still alive to answer more questions.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post

WW1 was carried out, in some ways, as an extention of the unrest and trench war that was thrust upon the world at the time of Napoleon. That may also have something to do with why most people didn't blink an eye when someone like Hitler assumed the helm and continued where Napoleon left off. The Napoleon trench war was invented long before the Russian front.

The Russians came up with pull back just enough to let them start trying to dig into the frozen Steppes and blast away and lengthen their supply line and shorten your own while increasing defensive strength.

It worked against Napolean and it worked against Hitler or just burn the place down and they have nothing to conquer or anywhere to hide. and turn the marmosets loose on them.

That's why we don't really need to "defend the Arctic" it defends it's self. You'd have to be out of you mind to attack from the north.

They'd all be dead 4000km of ever seeing the first tree.

Nuggler

Thanks. Should have figured that out myself. duh !!!

No problem. Always glad to help.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I have to ask... wtf does YT stand for?

You Tube???

Ocean Breeze
A little bit of pay back??

Woman Who Groped TSA Agent's Breast Let Out of Jail

Woman Gropes TSA Agent's Breast at Security Checkpoint

OR....... she might have been giving out free mamograms???

On a more serious note: Never thought I would ever live to hear words like "checkpoint" in the US. Something is seriously amiss and going backwards .

Nuggler

A little bit of pay back??

Woman Who Groped TSA Agent's Breast Let Out of Jail

Woman Gropes TSA Agent's Breast at Security Checkpoint

OR....... she might have been giving out free mamograms???

On a more serious note: Never thought I would ever live to hear words like "checkpoint" in the US. Something is seriously amiss and going backwards .

You won't hear "checkmate" too often either.

CDNBear

Yours Truly. as in I, me ......first person.

There's a fine line between distance and separation. I point out provable, definable differences. You make a generalized, hyperbole soaked separation.

How old are you? I can think of a dozen times or more, just from reading history books. From coastal towns in WWII. To Native unrest in the mid west.

The history of the US is littered with 'checkpoints'. Mind you, so is Canada's. The only difference being, the US has never unilaterally suspended the rights of every citizen in the nation, for any length of time. Like Canada has.

Cliffy
+1

There's a fine line between distance and separation. I point out provable, definable differences. You make a generalized, hyperbole soaked separation.

How old are you? I can think of a dozen times or more, just from reading history books. From coastal towns in WWII. To Native unrest in the mid west.

The history of the US is littered with 'checkpoints'. Mind you, so is Canada's. The only difference being, the US has never unilaterally suspended the rights of every citizen in the nation, for any length of time. Like Canada has.

Seems tp me the Patriot Act qualifies for rights suspension and it has been in effect for a decade. Canada is just a little brother following in the footsteps of Big Brother.

gerryh

So, what do you think, is google going crazy while she try's to find the suspended rights of Canadian Citizens? Should she be given a hint?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

So, what do you think, is google going crazy while she try's to find the suspended rights of Canadian Citizens? Should she be given a hint?

As far as I know, the War Measures Act has not been rescinded and can be activated at a moments notice. The Toronto G8 looked an awful lot like the War Measures Act had been momentarily been reactivated except that it was much worse than the October Crisis.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

As far as I know, the War Measures Act has not been rescinded and can be activated at a moments notice.

You're ruining all our fun Cliffy....... and no it hasn't, and yes it can.

Now quiet, let's see if she can figure out the who, what, how , and why.

CDNBear
+1

Seems tp me the Patriot Act qualifies for rights suspension and it has been in effect for a decade.

Not even close.

Quote:

Canada is just a little brother following in the footsteps of Big Brother.

Nice try Cliffy. But not even during the race riots or violent protests of the 60's in the US, did the whole of the US fall under Marshal Law.

Only Canada can claim that high ground.

I bet she knows, but will ignore the facts. They simply don't mesh with her version of reality and simply interfere with her hate of the US and blind nationalism.

As far as I know, the War Measures Act has not been rescinded and can be activated at a moments notice.

It doesn't even exist anymore, for starters. Secondly, it requires an act of parliament to enact the Emergencies Act. As it took an act of Parliament to enact the War Measures Act.

Quote:

The Toronto G8 looked an awful lot like the War Measures Act had been momentarily been reactivated except that it was much worse than the October Crisis.

1, The G8 summit debacle was the fault of the Provincial Liberals, and secretive laws they enacted without public knowledge or provincial Parliamentary scrutiny.

2, It most certainly was not worse than the October crisis. Labour leaders in Naniamo weren't being round up, because of McSquinty's laws. The National Police agency was not being handcuffed by the PMO in the lead up, as the RCMP were during the FLQ crap in Quebec. And finally, neither law enforcement nor civilians were being killed.

gerryh
I stand corrected on the war measures act. I had not realized that it had been "upgraded".

CDNBear

I stand corrected on the war measures act. I had not realized that it had been "upgraded".

Yes, to prevent the type of abuses that took place when Trudeau used it.

In 88, under the Mulroney gov't, a Conservative gov't, the War Measures Act was modified to include...

The evocation of the Act by the sitting Cabinet, had to be reviewed by Parliament.
And any laws enacted under the Act were subject to the Charter.

Pretty neat, considering the Cons are supposed to be American lack's, hell bent on stripping away our rights.