"The west wants out": Separatist sentiments growing in Alberta

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+6
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Should be renamed "Republic of Western Whateverthefuk"

Canada shouldn't be in the name at all, cause it wouldn't be Canada.

Who in their right mind would incorporate the name of the country that they are trying to escape.

Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

I was at the Wexit rally immediately after the Election. The leaders of this movement are on the fringe of society, and have zero answers to the problems Western Canada is facing. If these people start gaining a foothold of the Western Canadian landscape, I will personally contemplate moving east. Let us not forget the Quebec separatist movement did to that province.

Moving South I could understand, but East?... That'd be like making the deliberate decision to seek a place in a leper colony

Girth
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Who in their right mind would incorporate the name of the country that they are trying to escape.
Moving South I could understand, but East?... That'd be like making the deliberate decision to seek a place in a leper colony

I would not worry about it. Wexit will collapse soon enough. Their leader is a failed ex-cop, with no answers to problems of Western alienation. He will be exposed, and replaced by a party that is more in touch with Canadians, and certainly more moderate.

Tecumsehsbones

Who in their right mind

The answer is contained in the question.

Kinda like the Confedruts who claim to be good Americans. Or every person in history who ever said "I'm not a racist, but. . ."

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+4

I would not worry about it. Wexit will collapse soon enough. Their leader is a failed ex-cop, with no answers to problems of Western alienation. He will be exposed, and replaced by a party that is more in touch with Canadians, and certainly more moderate.

The last election generated results that were "in touch with Canadians"... The kicker is that the election was over once the ballots East of the Manitoba/Ontario border were counted.

Regrettably, there was no opportunity to "be in touch" with those Canadians West of that line

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

The answer is contained in the question.

Kinda like the Confedruts who claim to be good Americans. Or every person in history who ever said "I'm not a racist, but. . ."

History is written by the victors.

I would wager that there are those that feel very differently

Tecumsehsbones

History is written by the victors.

Actually, history is written by everybody.

Quote:

I would wager that there are those that feel very differently

Precisely. And they write histories too.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+4
Agreed on all points, however, in terms of the popular and generally accepted version of events (especially prior to internet distribution capabilities), by in large there is far less acceptance or open-mindedness to the alternative histories.

Just an observation

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Agreed on all points, however, in terms of the popular and generally accepted version of events (especially prior to internet distribution capabilities), by in large there is far less acceptance or open-mindedness to the alternative histories.
Just an observation

There are no permanent histories, and there are no permanent victors. I'm sure (because we actually HAVE the histories written at the time) that the Greeks and Romans wrote histories about how frickin' awesome they were. Later histories were somewhat less complimentary.

The problem comes from thinking of "history" as facts, like the hard sciences. There simply is no one "history." There are stories whose popularity waxes and wanes over time and varies by place.

The very first thing one needs to do to have any sort of debate that amounts to more than yelling past each other is come to some agreement on the accuracy and relevance of the facts.

Girth

The last election generated results that were "in touch with Canadians"... The kicker is that the election was over once the ballots East of the Manitoba/Ontario border were counted.
Regrettably, there was no opportunity to "be in touch" with those Canadians West of that line

Wexit is composed of a bunch of shady characters that have no real answers for the dilemmas of Western Canadians. They do not pose a significant threat, and will likely die out soon enough.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2

Wexit is composed of a bunch of shady characters that have no real answers for the dilemmas of Western Canadians.

Do you have the answers to the dilemmas of Western Canada?

They do not pose a significant threat, and will likely die out soon enough.

We'll see come the next Fed election

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

Who knows who the leader will be ? Who knows who their candidates will be ? It will be interesting .

Tecumsehsbones

Have you tried girding your loins, spitting on your hands, and getting stuck in?

Girth

If Wexit continues with the same leadership, they may receive 1% of the vote in Western Canada. The PPC was better organized, and they received less than 2% of the popular vote.

The people that think Wexit is a serious threat come election time, have obviously never been to their rallies, or researched the leadership.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

If Wexit continues with the same leadership, they may receive 1% of the vote in Western Canada. The PPC was better organized, and they received less than 2% of the popular vote.

The people that think Wexit is a serious threat come election time, have obviously never been to their rallies, or researched the leadership.

There leadership has not yet evolved . If the population is in favour they will organize properly soon enough .

Hoid
Their

DaSleeper
Spelling Nazi!

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

So far it is just a protest movement. But it should make the eastern establishment sit up and take notice.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2

I do.
Developed our resource industries. Ship to whoever pays the most. Current laws essentially prevent the construction of refineries, steel mills or much of anything else inBC. Fix that little problem and the West will thrive and continue carrying Ontariowe and Quebec.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Have you tried girding your loins, spitting on your hands, and getting stuck in?

No need really.. The Fed gvt and tater tot have done all of the heavy lifting already

The province going blue should be an indicator for you.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I do.
Developed our resource industries. Ship to whoever pays the most. Current laws essentially prevent the construction of refineries, steel mills or much of anything else inBC. Fix that little problem and the West will thrive and continue carrying Ontariowe and Quebec.

Absolutely correct.

The problem is that the Fed gvt has essentially vowed to ensure that this won't happen.

That said, the solution set falls squarely on the shoulders of the individual jurisdiction(s) in considering what steps they can take independently to develop their economies and while AB/SK are sandwiched inside Canada, another viable option is to take steps to stop sending money East and use those dollars for the benefit of their respective populations

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
Getting a lot of momentum

https://www.facebook.com/JeffRout/

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2
Tater tot has no more cards left to play... It's only a matter of time before the West takes some form of action

Girth
+1

It's only a matter of time before the West takes some form of action.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the Kenney Government tight now. They have no idea what they are doing. It's a drastic change from the Ralph Klein years, or any other administration, for that matter.

We have to tread carefully. Seperatist movements are traditionally frowned upon. Just look at the damage it did to Quebec. Most of the rich Anglophones and Jews migrated south to Toronto, and Montreal ceased to be the business capital of Canada. The PQ drove them away to Toronto, and out of province. Investment into Quebec took a nosedive.

However, if we are smart, we can always play the card that Quebec never had- American interest. The advantage Western Canada has, is that unlike Quebec, the United States legitimately would want Alberta and Saskatchewan to be absorbed into the US. Quebec never had that option, as it would have been too big a headache to absorb another Puerto Rico (a district to incorporate, that has a different language and culture).

A united Canada is in the best interests of the Americans, but if push came to shove, the US would be on our side in the dispute. That is something that Quebec lacked.
Last edited by Girth; 2 weeks ago at 10:52 AM..

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
France even backed away from the headache of Quebec

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2

Wexit is composed of a bunch of shady characters that have no real answers for the dilemmas of Western Canadians. They do not pose a significant threat, and will likely die out soon enough.

If nothing else they will get the protest vote, much like Reform did in the early years. At that time there was no real difference between the conservative party and the liberal party. Both were totally interested in Toronto and Quebec.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
It is setting up for a Wexit vote with who is running for the CPC leadership right now

AnnaE
+2
Wexit? Wex on, wex off?

Tecumsehsbones
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaE View Post

Wexit? Wex on, wex off?

I always got the uncomfortable feeling that Mr. Miyagi was training Daniel for a career in hair removal.

Which is pretty weird.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1

I'm not exactly thrilled with the Kenney Government tight now. They have no idea what they are doing. It's a drastic change from the Ralph Klein years, or any other administration, for that matter.

We have to tread carefully. Seperatist movements are traditionally frowned upon. Just look at the damage it did to Quebec. Most of the rich Anglophones and Jews migrated south to Toronto, and Montreal ceased to be the business capital of Canada. The PQ drove them away to Toronto, and out of province. Investment into Quebec took a nosedive.

However, if we are smart, we can always play the card that Quebec never had- American interest. The advantage Western Canada has, is that unlike Quebec, the United States legitimately would want Alberta and Saskatchewan to be absorbed into the US. Quebec never had that option, as it would have been too big a headache to absorb another Puerto Rico (a district to incorporate, that has a different language and culture).

A united Canada is in the best interests of the Americans, but if push came to shove, the US would be on our side in the dispute. That is something that Quebec lacked.

Quebec attempted separation for entirely different reasons and it's not just the USA that has an interest in West Cdn energy, hell, Eastern Canada relies, absolutely, on it as well.

Girth
+1

Quebec attempted separation for entirely different reasons and it's not just the USA that has an interest in West Cdn energy, hell, Eastern Canada relies, absolutely, on it as well.

That will work to the benefit of Alberta and Western Canada.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Lets be honest and direct, Alberta will never separate and all the separatists and BS talk is hurting the economy.

They need to work to squash the environmentalists and get Quebec on our side.

petros
+1
If you think Canaduh will stay whole you're nuts.