spaminator
Miss America drops swimsuit portion and won't judge on looks
Associated Press
More from Associated Press
Published:
June 5, 2018
Updated:
June 5, 2018 3:03 PM EDT
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — The Miss America pageant is dropping the swimsuit competition, saying it will no longer judge contestants on their appearance but on “what makes you you.”
The pageant began nearly 100 years ago as a bathing beauty contest to keep tourists coming to this seaside resort after Labor Day. But in recent decades, women’s groups and others have complained that making contestants parade across the stage in bathing suits and high heels is outdated, sexist and more than a little silly.
In this Sept. 13, 2015, file photo, contestants wear swimsuits as they compete in the 2016 Miss America pageant in Atlantic City, N.J. Mel Evans / AP Photo / Files
The announcement Tuesday came after a shake-up at the Miss America Organization that resulted in the top three leadership positions being held by women. The overhaul was triggered by an email scandal last December in which Miss America officials denigrated winners’ intelligence, appearance and sex lives.
“We’re not going to judge you on your appearance because we are interested in what makes you you,” Gretchen Carlson, a former Miss America who became head of the organization’s board of trustees in the wake of the scandal, said in making the announcement on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
Carlson, whose sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes led to his departure, said the board had heard from potential contestants who lamented, “We don’t want to be out there in high heels and swimsuits.”
“Guess what?” she said. “You don’t have to anymore.”
In place of the swimsuit competition, contestants will participate in an interactive session with the judges “where she will highlight her achievements and goals in life and how she will use her talents, passion, and ambition to perform the job of Miss America,” the organization said in a statement.
Carlson said the evening wear portion of the competition will also be changed to allow women to wear something other than a gown if they want.
“It’s what comes out of their mouths that we care about,” she said.
Gretchen Carlson says the Miss America Organization is dropping the swimsuit competition from its nationally televised broadcast, saying it will no longer judge contestants in their appearance. Andy Kropa / Invision / AP / Files
Leanza Cornett, Miss America 1993, supported the dropping of the swimsuit competition.
“I hated it,” she said. “I always felt awkward and uncomfortable.”
She added: “In the climate of #MeToo, I think it’s a really wise decision. We’re living in a different era now, and when we move forward for the empowerment of women, we will be taken much more seriously, and I think that’s huge.”
Carlson said she is not worried ratings for the nationally televised broadcast might suffer. She said that the swimsuit portion is not the highest-rated portion and that viewers seem more interested in the talent competition.
The changes will start with this year’s broadcast on ABC on Sept. 9. Because many of the state and local competitions that decide the Miss America finalists have already begun, the dropping of the swimsuit portion will not take effect at those levels until next year’s competition, the organization said.
Carlson said the Miss America Organization will emphasize its role as a scholarship provider and is “no longer a pageant.”
Mallory Hytes Hagan, Miss America 2013, was a particular target of the emails, many of which ridiculed her weight gain after she won the title. In a Facebook video Tuesday, Hagan said she weighed 124 pounds when she was crowned. She said she is now 164 pounds, which she said most people would consider normal.
She is running for Congress in Alabama as a Democrat.
“There are tons of women across this country who are not ‘swimsuit-ready’ who are doing some really bad-ass stuff in their communities,” she said. “We should be honouring them, and that doesn’t involve putting on a two-piece bathing suit and walking onstage in heels.”
Miss America drops swimsuit portion and won’t judge on looks | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf
+1
None of that PC nonsense here in Britain.

BEST OF BREAST Bust of Britain winner ‘ecstatic’ with win after teen boob condition crushed her confidence

It has been a fairy tale ending for the 22-year-old receptionist who struggled with body issues growing up

Meet Lulu Cole, the 2018 winner of The Sun's Bust of Britain competition:

LULU COLE is the best of the breast – our Bust In Britain 2018 winner.

It has been a fairy tale ending for the 22-year-old receptionist who struggled with body confidence growing up.

Lulu Cole is the winner of Bust in Britain 2018

As a teen, Lulu was diagnosed with breast asymmetry, a condition where one boob is a noticeably different size to the other.

While her left breast developed to a DD cup, her right remained an A cup.

Bravely, Lulu is now speaking out for the first time about the condition that ruined her teenage years.

She says: “It had a devastating effect on my confidence. I never dreamed I’d go on to win a competition which celebrates the female body. It is truly amazing.

Lulu is bravely speaking out about the condition that affected her as a teen

“It was difficult when I was younger. I felt like I didn’t measure up and I lacked confidence as I couldn’t wear tight, fashionable clothes in case it highlighted my uneven breasts.

“I couldn’t enjoy time with my friends, and would avoid sleepovers or going swimming. I’d always leave early to miss any occasion that involved getting changed.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/competition...st-in-britain/

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
One wonders what the point of the pageant or of having the pageant any more. I can't remember the last time I actually watched one. But if I was going to watch one, it would not be to find out what made the girls who they are. It would be for the swimsuits.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

One wonders what the point of the pageant or of having the pageant any more.

So you can crown one of them as being the most beautiful or for having the best tits.

Tecumsehsbones
I'm shocked that Blackshirt isn't whimpering about how the pageants discriminate against him.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I'm shocked that Blackshirt isn't whimpering about how the pageants discriminate against him.

I, on the other hand, am not shocked that you want beauty pageants replaced by what makes you you pageants.

taxslave
Mallory Hytes Hagan, Miss America 2013, was a particular target of the emails, many of which ridiculed her weight gain after she won the title. In a Facebook video Tuesday, Hagan said she weighed 124 pounds when she was crowned. She said she is now 164 pounds, which she said most people would consider normal.

Going from 124 lbs to 164 is not normal unless you are a junk food junkie or have a serious medical condition. Or just a fact slob that disn't care.

Curious Cdn
Where? Where?

Where are the pictures of the Miss America contestants dropping their swim suits?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I, on the other hand, am not shocked that you want beauty pageants replaced by what makes you you pageants.

You would do GREAT in a "what makes you you" pageant! You could shave your head, show up in kecks and bovvers with a Union flag wrapped around you, and scream your naked terror of the world hidden under a thin veil of hate!

I'm sure the judges would give it five swastikas.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Where? Where?

Where are the pictures of the Miss America contestants dropping their swim suits?

Just look at these big knockers from this year's Bust of Britain competition:

IT’S Saint George’s Day and our Bust In Britain hopefuls are slaying it with their banging bosoms.

Our annual search for the best boobs in the country offers YOU a chance to win £5,000 and a photoshoot in Ibiza

https://www.thesun.co.uk/competition...-britain-2018/

United Kingdom they stand - proudest boobs from across the land: Welsh valleys, Scots peaks

https://www.thesun.co.uk/competition...you-can-enter/

You would do GREAT in a "what makes you you" pageant! You could shave your head, show up in kecks and bovvers with a Union flag wrapped around you, and scream your naked terror of the world hidden under a thin veil of hate!

I'm sure the judges would give it five swastikas.

Strange man.

Tecumsehsbones

Strange man.

I would say "That you are," but you ain't. You're common as dirt.

Blackleaf

I would say "That you are," but you ain't. You're common as dirt.

Oh, thank you.

Danbones
+2
Some of you guys need a night out together in a ti**y bar so you can bond.

Tecumsehsbones

Oh, thank you.

It's the life you chose, son.

Danbones
Cleave your personal issues at the door

it's the age we live in.

Hoid
Its obviously a tradition that is played out.

We are thankfully moving away from this sort of thing.

DaSleeper

Walter
+3
Here’s the new Female America prize: Fatties and dogs will be sitting around a table complaining that they’re being ogled and the judges will give the prize to the one that makes the most complaints about Trump.

Blackleaf

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Here’s the new Female America prize: Fatties and dogs will be sitting around a table complaining that they’re being ogled and the judges will give the prize to the one that makes the most complaints about Trump.

Why do you hate woman Walter?

What is about them that upsets you?

DaSleeper
+1
Why do you hate "beautiful" women Waldo?
But you wouldn't marry an ugly one tho!

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Its obviously a tradition that is played out.

We are thankfully moving away from this sort of thing.

Holy crap, I actually 100% agree with Hoid!!

I'm scared, somebody hold me.

Last edited by Jinentonix; Jun 6th, 2018 at 11:40 AM..

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Holy crap, I actually 100% agree with Hoid!!

I'm scared, somebody hold me.

[youtube]zpPLyLTUVDs[/youtube]

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Change your tampon, Salty Walty. The current one's all salty.

DaSleeper
+1
I know who will be the judges

The ladies of "The View"

Hoof Hearted
+4
#26  Top Rated Post
Er...exactly how do you hold a beauty pageant without judging on appearance?

And what's wrong with airing a bit of 'cheesecake'? Women use their looks every single day to their own advantage. Being born naturally beautiful is a gift. What is so wrong with sharing this with the masses?

coldstream
+3
Good grief. It'll end up a feminist rant by 'full' bodied women.

Like the 'Me Too' Oscars this year, whose ratings fell 25% from the year before, as the television audience shunned another tedious lecture of 'male exploitation' and the emergence of an unchained 'sisterhood' in droves.

Who do they think was watching the Miss America Pageant in the past.. and why. Once the beautiful, shapely women go.. so will the viewers.
Last edited by coldstream; Jun 6th, 2018 at 01:14 PM..

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Good grief. It'll end up a feminist rant by 'full' bodied women.

Like the 'Me Too' Oscars this year, whose rating fell 25% from the year before, as the television audience shunned another tedious lecture of 'male exploitation' and the emergence of an unchained 'sisterhood' in droves.

Who do they think was watching the Miss America Pageant in the past.. and why. Once the beautiful, shapely women go.. so will the viewers.

Men and women who like to look at other women's bodies?

Kreskin
Do you need a woman to wear a swimsuit to determine if she has the total package?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Do you need a woman to wear a swimsuit to determine if she has the total package?

I don't!