Should Canada cautiously explore free trade with North Korea?

White_Unifier
I could see Canada agreeing to free trade with any part of North Korea that upholds the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

For example, if North Korea wanted to establish a free port (aka free economic zone or FEZ) that would fall under the rules of that convention, maybe similarly to Hong Kong, then Canada would happily trade with it.

We should make adherence to the covenant a strict condition though so as to tempt North Korea to grant human rights at least on a part of its territory.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I could see Canada agreeing to free trade with any part of North Korea that upholds the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

For example, if North Korea wanted to establish a free port (aka free economic zone or FEZ) that would fall under the rules of that convention, maybe similarly to Hong Kong, then Canada would happily trade with it.

We should make adherence to the covenant a strict condition though so as to tempt North Korea to grant human rights at least on a part of its territory.

They ain't got no money and can't afford what we have to sell. What do they sell that we need to buy? All that North Korea has to offer us is cheap labour and that inevitably puts North Americans out of work.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

They ain't got no money and can't afford what we have to sell. What do they sell that we need to buy? All that North Korea has to offer us is cheap labour and that inevitably puts North Americans out of work.

Not necessarily. Poor Canadian consumers could benefit from lower-cost production too.

Add to that that wealthy Canadians might invest there too.

Also, do you want to keep North Koreans poor?

petros
+1
What do they have to offer? Rickets?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What do they have to offer? Rickets?

Investment opportunities.

petros
Like?

Hoid
If this fairy tale of North Korean hope and change is true we would want to start with establishing an embassy in North Korea.

Curious Cdn
+2

Investment opportunities.

You mean like the investment opportunities in China whhere Canadian investors spent a king's random developing things like mining ventures, just to have the Communist government expropriate it once it is ready to go?

http://www.chinalawinsight.com/2014/...vestor-beware/

White_Unifier

You mean like the investment opportunities in China whhere Canadian investors spent a king's random developing things like mining ventures, just to have the Communist government expropriate it once it is ready to go?

http://www.chinalawinsight.com/2014/...vestor-beware/

I did say cautiously. I'm thinking Canada should explore this and maybe require a FEZ like Hong Kong with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights entrenched in the constitution of that FEZ.

One reason Hong Kong has been able to resist Chinese interference so far is in part the 50 year agreement but also Hong Kong's basic law and the fact that it's established as a separate autonomous zone.

We could require something similar for any free port that North Korea sets up. It would have to have its own constitution and separate administration more or less like Hong Kong.

Hoid
+1
We should certainly be trying to recruit Korean students into Canada.

The money our schools make on foreign students is obscene.

petros

I did say cautiously. I'm thinking Canada should explore this and maybe require a FEZ like Hong Kong with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights entrenched in the constitution of that FEZ.

One reason Hong Kong has been able to resist Chinese interference so far is in part the 50 year agreement but also Hong Kong's basic law and the fact that it's established as a separate autonomous zone.

We could require something similar for any free port that North Korea sets up. It would have to have its own constitution and separate administration more or less like Hong Kong.

Has the war ended?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

We should certainly be trying to recruit Korean students into Canada.

The money our schools make on foreign students is obscene.

I don't think many of them have the money for that yet.

Has the war ended?

Not yet. They're expecting to formally end it later this year though.

petros
They who? NATO? Only NATO can end it.

Hoid
Oh I think there are plenty of people in North Korea with money enough.

White_Unifier

They who? NATO? Only NATO can end it.

OK, do I have to dig up a news article for you?

North and South Korea to push for an official end to the 1950-53 war, confirm goal of denuclearization

Oh I think there are plenty of people in North Korea with money enough.

I'm sure there are some.

Hoid
I note that Canada has now joined in the international mission to monitor the Korean blockade.

They will be flying out of JApan. I flew out of Japan in the 90s with NATO and my per diem was about $200 US

petros

OK, do I have to dig up a news article for you?

North and South Korea to push for an official end to the 1950-53 war, confirm goal of denuclearization

I'm sure there are some.

They can't. It's solely up to NATO.

Hoid
The Trump anti immigration measures are beginning to destroy their foreign student biz and that presents Canada with a potential windfall.

There are one million foreign student in the US and they contribute about $37 billion a year to that economy.

One foreign graduate with an advanced degree is thought to create 262 jobs for Americans.

This is a sector where Canada is already leading the world - some say to our own detriment as Canadian born students are looking at fewer and fewer placements - but in a strictly economic sense it is a massive win.

Personally I think we should create stronger rules for placing Canadian born students but increase our capacity across the board.

petros
+1
Nothing new Waldo

UBC-University of Billion Chinese.

SFU-Sino Fraser University

UofS-University of Szechuan

UofR-University of RedChina

White_Unifier
NATO or SEATO?

petros
What did I type?

Curious Cdn

I note that Canada has now joined in the international mission to monitor the Korean blockade.

They will be flying out of JApan. I flew out of Japan in the 90s with NATO and my per diem was about $200 US

We've been a part of the blocade for months.

http://youtu.be/S3I1LIaPRzk

Liberalman
Not free trade but tariff trade

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Not free trade but tariff trade

With North Korea, even that would be a start.

Curious Cdn

with North Korea, even that would be a start.

What do they have that we want to buy?

White_Unifier

What do they have that we want to buy?

I don't know. Let the market figure it out.

Curious Cdn

I don't know. Let the market figure it out.

We have food for them to buy but they have no money or anything else to sell to us.

Liberalman
+3
#28  Top Rated Post

We have food for them to buy but they have no money or anything else to sell to us.

They have weapons of mass destruction that we can pick up real cheap

darkbeaver
Yes, the alternative is war,

White_Unifier

They have labour to sell to us. From my understanding, most probbly have a low level of education, meaning that they could do only low-tech work, but it's still something.