Should Canada adopt unilateral free trade?


View Poll Results: Should Canada adopt unilateral free trade?
Yes, at least in principle. 4 50.00%
No. 4 50.00%
Other answer. 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

White_Unifier
#1
I say yes.
 
justlooking
#2
In case you haven't noticed, no one actually gives a flying fukc what you think..or say.
 
White_Unifier
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

In case you haven't noticed, no one actually gives a flying fukc what you think..or say.

... except you it would seem.
 
White_Unifier
#4
Ha. 2 out of 1 supports unilateral free trade.
 
Liberalman
#5
free trade sucks and tariffs level the playing field
 
White_Unifier
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

free trade sucks and tariffs level the playing field

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle18598773/
https://www.econlib.org/archives/201...rade_agre.html
https://ipolitics.ca/2016/08/03/big-...ization-study/
https://business.financialpost.com/o...umps-trade-war
 
Liberalman
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
Tell me of your links you posted what is your opinion?

I think that we can create more opportunities if tariffs are in place. Before all this bull shyte of the global economy came in we did pretty well and when the Canadian-American free trade agreement was signed Canada lost lots of jobs. The tariffs was for our protection against other countries dumping thie products at cheaper price because they had a lower standard of living so the tariffs fixed that and raised the prices so our companies can compete for our customers
 
White_Unifier
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Tell me of your links you posted what is your opinion?

I think that we can create more opportunities if tariffs are in place. Before all this bull shyte of the global economy came in we did pretty well and when the Canadian-American free trade agreement was signed Canada lost lots of jobs. The tariffs was for our protection against other countries dumping thie products at cheaper price because they had a lower standard of living so the tariffs fixed that and raised the prices so our companies can compete for our customers

Our economy grew as a result of free trade.
 
Liberalman
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by white_unifier View Post

our economy grew as a result of free trade.

lol lol
 
darkbeaver
#10
Yes, yes
 
taxslave
#11
Free trade only works when the standards of living are roughly the same.
 
White_Unifier
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Free trade only works when the standards of living are roughly the same.

Are you saying then that Alberta should raise tariffs against NFLD? Just trying to follow your logic.
 
White_Unifier
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Free trade only works when the standards of living are roughly the same.

\

Still no response eh Taxslave?
 
coldstream
+1
#14
Free Trade (along with monetarism.. commodification and free trade in currency and credit) has been catastrophic for Canada.

It has not only unraveled the sovereignty, integrity, durability of its industrial infrastructure it has undermined the moral coherence of the nation. All is now informed by liberal economic and cultural values. As the nation state of Canada becomes an evermore vague abstraction its economy has been transformed from a manufacturer and processor to a financial cog in the global banking and trading structure.

It's workplace has devolved into one of insecure, poorly paid, service jobs distributing foreign made product. It's culture is now dominated by 'multiculturalism' which means it has no intellectually coherent or historically derived culture; just something is emitted by the social market absent any moral imperatives or national identity.

This country is in deep sh*t. And Free Trade is partially to blame for our impoverishment.
Last edited by coldstream; 1 week ago at 01:50 PM..
 
Twin_Moose
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Are you saying then that Alberta should raise tariffs against NFLD? Just trying to follow your logic.

NFLD doesn't have roughly the same standard of living as Alta.? Why not?
 
Danbones
#16
If we are going to do free trade we should start with beer...and then move on to wives.
 
MHz
#17
Canada should go back to being sovereign Provinces and then trade that way as we have entities that take care of our international matters already and they tend to like keep the robbery going on as it has been.
 
White_Unifier
#18
50/50 in the poll right now. I'm impressed.
 
MHz
#19
When it passes in a referendum vote and takes longer to be implemented that bre-exit will you still be impressed?
 
White_Unifier
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

When it passes in a referendum vote and takes longer to be implemented that bre-exit will you still be impressed?

Yup. It's kiind of hard for a governmnent to raise tariffs and tighten quotas after tha majority of the population votes for unilateral free trade. Sure it might drag its feet and maybe through out a bone or two like a minor insignificant quota increase towards some small country we barely trade with anyway, but at least even that would ne a step in the right direction.

Look at Bresxit. Sure the Brexiteers might not be getting the Brexit they wanted, but at least they are getting some form of Brexit. All they need now is another referendum on whether they're happy with that or want an even harder Brexit.
 

Similar Threads

3
Canada-EU Free Trade?
by Goober | Mar 15th, 2013