Driving from Winnipeg to Montreal?

nelsonned
Thanx snowles for the map.

MrRight
Well it will be far better then driving threw Saskatchewan

suepslew
Cool!!!! I like the map idea. I am so bad with directions. I am recommending it to my friends to look at if they are going on a trip

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by mr.flibble View Post

I'll be driving from Winnipeg to Montreal sometime late September, early October. According to Google Maps, the best route is through the US which seems kind of indirect. What's the shortest way of going from Winnipeg to Montreal?

Thanks

Buy a GPS

Emelie
Hello Snowles,
I'd like a copy of that map...Winnipeg to Montreal, as I can use it to drive to Ottawa, right.
Thanks

khokon
It would be very helpful if I can get the MAP, please . I am planning to drive from Winnipeg to Ottawa this June. Thanks for your help

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by khokon View Post

It would be very helpful if I can get the MAP, please . I am planning to drive from Winnipeg to Ottawa this June. Thanks for your help

Do like everybody else and Google it..

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Winni...215296!3e0!5i1

Curious Cdn

The Canadian route is preferred by me because of the spectacular scenery along a section of the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is the longer route, though and you drive through trees and rocks ... rocks and trees for many hours. The US route south of Lake Superior is more direct and fuel is cheaper "over there" but there was nothing else to recommended the route.

Besides, you haven't lived 'til you've been to Wawa.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The Canadian route is preferred by me because of the spectacular scenery along a section of the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Make sure to fuel up, long stretches of nothing and very expensive gas.

The US route south of Lake Superior is more direct and fuel is cheaper "over there" but there was nothing else to recommended the route.

If he can get across the border..

petros
No Horton's from Wawa to Saulte Saint Marie

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Make sure to fuel up, long stretches of nothing and very expensive gas.

If he can get across the border..

Yeah, I was wondering that part.

khokon

The Canadian route is preferred by me because of the spectacular scenery along a section of the North Shore of Lake Superior. It is the longer route, though and you drive through trees and rocks ... rocks and trees for many hours. The US route south of Lake Superior is more direct and fuel is cheaper "over there" but there was nothing else to recommended the route.

Thank you so much. Actually, I need the shorter distance rather scenic drive.

Jinentonix

Don't listen to him about the scenery on the US route. Northern MN, WI and Michigan's U.P are beautiful. While it is true you won't get the same visuals you would taking the Canadian route, it's still beautiful country to drive through. All in all though, for the rather small difference in estimated drive time plus the potential for added time taking the US route due to two required border crossings, your best bet would be to take the Canadian route if time is a concern, plus as CC previously mentioned, you'll see some spectacular scenery.

One last thing, is the drive for visiting purposes or are you moving to Ottawa? I only ask because if it's a planned move, then save yourself a WHOLE lot of hassle and just take the Canadian route.

Bar Sinister
There is one other consideration besides distance and that is the quality of the roads. US roads are generally better and as a result you can make better time.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

There is one other consideration besides distance and that is the quality of the roads. US roads are generally better and as a result you can make better time.

Uh, the some of the major interstates maybe, but I know that route on the map. Unless it's been widened the whole length since I last made that drive, it's pretty much two lane black top once you're out of Duluth.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Uh, the some of the major interstates maybe, but I know that route on the map. Unless it's been widened the whole length since I last made that drive, it's pretty much two lane black top once you're out of Duluth.

It has been a while since I drove it, but the highway north of Lake Superior was definitely not world class. Do you know if it has been upgraded?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

It has been a while since I drove it, but the highway north of Lake Superior was definitely not world class. Do you know if it has been upgraded?

There is more than one Trans Canada Highway route. The more southerly one is in better condition, although a fair bit of it is built on muskeg and is subject to constant maintenance as it sinks into the goo (A patch of Lake Superior muskeg swallowed a CNR locomotive whole). A fair bit of of the highway is three lane as you are never far from a passing lane on that route. I can't imagine how many tens of billions it would take to widen that highway but we're wrung out enough here in Ontariariario, thanks very much.

Bar Sinister

There is more than one Trans Canada Highway route. The more southerly one is in better condition, although a fair bit of it is built on muskeg and is subject to constant maintenance as it sinks into the goo (A patch of Lake Superior muskeg swallowed a CNR locomotive whole). A fair bit of of the highway is three lane as you are never far from a passing lane on that route. I can't imagine how many tens of billions it would take to widen that highway but we're wrung out enough here in Ontariariario, thanks very much.

If I remember correctly it was a CPR locomotive as the railroad was being built. Muskeg is fun stuff. I had to work on it during my youth. Amazingly enough snowshoes are a good way to cross it.

khokon
Hi ! I am driving from Winnipeg to Ottawa on June 8, 2017. I am wondering about ferry service between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. Can you guys suggest me any ferry on my way which will reduce my driving.

Thanks

Curious Cdn

Hi ! I am driving from Winnipeg to Ottawa on June 8, 2017. I am wondering about ferry service between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie. Can you guys suggest me any ferry on my way which will reduce my driving.

Thanks

Fifty three years ago, Canadian Pacific used to run a really cool ferry service from Port Arthur (Thunder Bay) to Port McNichol (Midland) stopping in S.S.Marie. They had two beautiful little ships, the Assiniboine and the Keewatin (now a floating museum).

You are too late by a half a century but you missed a really classy ride.

khokon

Fifty three years ago, Canadian Pacific used to run a really cool ferry service from Port Arthur (Thunder Bay) to Port McNichol (Midland) stopping in S.S.Marie. They had two beautiful little ships, the Assiniboine and the Keewatin (now a floating museum).

You are too late by a half a century but you missed a really classy ride.

Ha ha ha. Thanks though

bill barilko
That's actually the most scenic part of the drive just gorgeous in spots.