The bizarre 'safe cures' of 19th Century that 'work like magic'

Locutus
+2
Cocaine for toothache, morphine for your child's cough:

Vintage advertisements show just how far medicine and advertising have come since the introduction of regulation

It's not a drug known for its benefits to health. In fact, if you were caught with this class A substance and claimed it was for 'medicinal purposes' you'd probably be laughed at all the way to the police station.
But, bizarrely, cocaine - and other drugs like morphine - were routinely used in remedies for coughs, colds and toothaches as a cure-all magic ingredient in the Victorian era.
Long before the drugs were criminalised - and prior to the regulation of both medicine and advertising - the substances were frequently touted as effective treatments for illnesses as serious as cancer and liver disease.

more

Victorian adverts for health remedies laden with cocaine, morphine and alcohol | Mail Online

MapleDog
+1
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

and now we recieve similar things in our emails.

relic
I mind when I was little,getting a spoonfull of kerosene oil with sugar,damned if i remember what for.Then there was a spoonfull of the very tasty Minards liniment.My cousin was smeared with bear fat when he fell on the stove,did nothing to prevent scaring.

darkbeaver
Very effective medicines from nature. In the struggle to invent and build medicine which super lab ,the natural or the synthetic, do you suppose will prevail?

MapleDog
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Very effective medicines from nature. In the struggle to invent and build medicine which super lab ,the natural or the synthetic, do you suppose will prevail?

I say the one that will bring as much money in the bank accounts of the pharmaceutical companies.

And f*** it if the meds got undesired side effects.

karrie
+6
#6  Top Rated Post
Cocaine IS a great remedy for tooth ache. Morphine IS great for pain. I wonder when the future looks back at the aspartame and ritalin that we pump our kids full of, how they will scoff and shake their heads at us.

MapleDog
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Cocaine IS a great remedy for tooth ache. Morphine IS great for pain. I wonder when the future looks back at the aspartame and ritalin that we pump our kids full of, how they will scoff and shake their heads at us.

Good point all this artificial crap is bad for people.

karrie
+2
And just to add, reading modern weight loss drug store promises doesn't look much different to me.

Johnnny
I have defeated Ritalin, un medicated and ADHD the way it should be for over 3/4s of my life
Last edited by Johnnny; Sep 6th, 2012 at 11:26 AM..

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by MapleDog View Post

I say the one that will bring as much money in the bank accounts of the pharmaceutical companies.

And f*** it if the meds got undesired side effects.

I think you missed my point. Maybe I was to vague. Nature has a massive head start and unlimited resources, big pharma only exists because they bought the law. Money ain't medicine and never will be.

MapleDog

I think you missed my point. Maybe I was to vague. Nature has a massive head start and unlimited resources, big pharma only exists because they bought the law. Money ain't medicine and never will be.

I didn't miss your point,nature got an advance,and we slowly rediscover some of the natural medicine,but as each one is found,it is "swiped" by the big pharma.

i guess they want to be sure that people who will need the cures will have to pay them a sh*tload of money.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

And just to add, reading modern weight loss drug store promises doesn't look much different to me.

Today's weight loss drug store promises?

LOL. Remember the old Virginia Slims Ads? "You've come a long way baby."

Yeah, not so much.

skookumchuck
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

I mind when I was little,getting a spoonfull of kerosene oil with sugar,damned if i remember what for.Then there was a spoonfull of the very tasty Minards liniment.My cousin was smeared with bear fat when he fell on the stove,did nothing to prevent scaring.

The Kerosene was for worm prevention or cure and the Minards was used for sore throat and toothache.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuck View Post

The Kerosene was for worm prevention or cure and the Minards was used for sore throat and toothache.

I heard beer with alot of smashed up garlic in it is helpful also for worm prevention , drink that for a couple of weeks lol

Niflmir
+1
Coca leaves are still used as an indigenous cure for toothaches, headaches, fatigue, and a variety of other ailments. These effects have been affirmed scientifically and, moreover, "occasional cocaine use does not typically lead to severe or even minor physical or social problems." (World Health Organization global Cocaine Project Study suppressed by the United States for 13 years, 1995 - WikiLeaks) Sadly, access to the study was restricted.

gopher
+2
here's a creepy ad from yesteryear:

MapleDog
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

here's a creepy ad from yesteryear:

Creepy an also an ad against child abuse "i guess"

gopher
+1
here's some more:

Vintage Beauty and Hygiene Ads of the 1880s

and this one's a killer for darn sure:

Vintage Race Advertisements

darkbeaver
Slaves for sale, that wasn't very long ago and we may see it again if the bankers survive the onslaught of justice.

MapleDog

Slaves for sale, that wasn't very long ago and we may see it again if the bankers survive the onslaught of justice.

They have the money,they'll buy the best lawyers available.

gopher
+1
^ That's how so many colleges in the States earned money in order to expand their campuses. True story.

MapleDog

^ That's how so many colleges in the States earned money in order to expand their campuses. True story.

They sold slaves?

gopher
+2
Beneath The Ivy, A Legacy of Chains | News | The Harvard Crimson

Colleges come to terms with slave-owning pasts - CNN

damngrumpy
Even Queen Victoria was into drugs Opium and through the British East India Company
she was the biggest drug dealer in history. They even had a machine to blow smoke up
your rear end thus the saying don't blow smoke up my *ss.
We have just as much nonsense going on today. all the stuff in health food stores is not
what it seems either. The latest course of science demonstrates there is little or no
difference between organic and conventional foods

gopher
+1
Dr Thompson says,

It's still sold in New England!

gopher
+1
bloodletting for whatever ails ya:

I understand people actually still believe in this stuff.

SLM

bloodletting for whatever ails ya:

I understand people actually still believe in this stuff.

Well they will still use leeches in some surgeries and medical situations. They are effective as I understand it.

Discovery Health "Are leeches being used in modern medicine?"

gopher
+3
SLM ~ you have a terrific avatar - with good looks like that, it'll cure just about anything!

SLM
+1

SLM ~ you have a terrific avatar - with good looks like that, it'll cure just about anything!

Well I like to dress well when I come on here. You never know who you will impress.

MapleDog
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Well I like to dress well when I come on here. You never know who you will impress.

I have to say,i miss the dancing cat on acid.