CRTC And The Internet Service Providers

Liberalman
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/07/15/f-internet-traffic-management-crtc-hearings.html

Because of the popularity of the Internet we have finally reached the end of the road and prices will skyrocket and only the rich will be able to afford it.

Even with the downturn of the economy with more people putting away their computers and replacing it with the necessities of life new programs are coming out that are using a lot more bauds than ever before.

High speed service is being slowed down on purpose so more people can have access to it and the Internet service providers are not telling their customers and they feel that they should not have to and they are always raising their rates.

The CRTC will change this by making them tell their customers what they are really paying for.

Like the CB radio, the Internet will disappear for the normal person and something else will take its place like always.

Now there will be diehards that will use it even at the high price like gamblers and other bottom feeders but eventually they will disappear.

We have to remember that knowledge can eventually kill you so this might be a good thing.

Unforgiven
Oddly enough my internet provider increased my speed for free as it increases it's bandwidth over all.

I have a question though, why would anyone choose to reduce their market share to 1% of the customer base? Why wouldn't they make more by offering a lower priced product to more customers?

DurkaDurka
Internet traffic management has nothing to due with increasing costs for end users.

The whole Internet traffic management fiasco basically boils down to "net neutrality". As it is right now, the major ISP's uses packet shaping to limit/block or slow down certain types of traffic (Torrents, Usenet, VPN's etc) and give priority to protocols such as http, pop3 etc.

taxslave
Can anyone explain how the CRTC can help with better internet service? From what I have seen of their rules on both TV and radio we would be better off without them. They appear to be simply the enforcement arm of the CBC, which is a taxpayer funded black hole.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Can anyone explain how the CRTC can help with better internet service? From what I have seen of their rules on both TV and radio we would be better off without them. They appear to be simply the enforcement arm of the CBC, which is a taxpayer funded black hole.

They could force the ISP's to stop 'managing' their customers data traffic for one. I don't need Rogers or Bell limiting what I do with my highspeed connection seeing as I am paying for it and all.

This case has nothing to do with TV or Radio or CBC bias in news reporting.

YoungJoonKim
NEWS UPDATE: CRTC agress with Bell...AGAIN.
CRTC allows Bell to force GAS/UBB[usage based billing] onto Third-party ISP providers.
Yes, PRICES for heavy users will SPYROCKET into $100 a month if you use more than 300 GB a month. lol, so much for twentith first century.