A Hypothetical Invasion of Bolivia

JBeee
by Jacob G. Hornberger

Suppose the world had awakened this morning to the news that the Russian army had attacked and invaded Bolivia. Thousands of Russian paratroopers have landed in the country, securing airports, permitting hundreds of Russian transport planes to bring in tens of thousands of Russian soldiers.

Despite being badly outmanned and outgunned, the Bolivians, both military and civilian, are resisting the invasion fiercely. Both the Russians and the Bolivians are suffering hundreds of casualties.

When asked why Russia has decided to invade Bolivia, Russian officials respond, “In order to spread democracy, stability, peace, and freedom in Latin America.”

What would be the reaction of the American people? My hunch is that at least 99 percent of the American people and 100 percent of U.S. officials would be angry and outraged. Immediately, U.S. officials would be denouncing the raw, naked aggression and demanding that Russia exit Bolivia immediately. Many federal officials would even be demanding U.S. intervention on behalf of the Bolivians.

My hunch also is that there would be very little sympathy for the Russian soldiers who were losing the lives in the battles. The attitude among Americans would be that they shouldn’t have invaded Bolivian in the first place. Virtually all the sympathy, I think, would be with the Bolivian people, especially those who were losing their lives in the conflict.

Now, change the identity of the invader. This time the world wakes up to the news that the United States has invaded Bolivia. Fierce battles are taking place and both sides are taking heavy casualties.

When asked why the U.S. has invaded Bolivia, U.S. officials respond, “In order to spread democracy, stability, peace, and freedom in Latin America.”

My hunch is that the reaction of many Americans would be entirely different.

Bumper stickers would immediately appear on cars across the land exhorting Americans to “support the troops.” The following Sunday and every Sunday after that, ministers in both Catholic and Protestant churches would be asking their parishioners to bow their heads in silence and pray for the troops who are in harm’s way, working for peace and defending our freedoms in a faraway land.

American soldiers being killed would be mourned and medaled as having died in the service of their country. The Bolivian dead would be called “the bad guys.”

How can we be certain that the American reaction to a Russian invasion of Bolivia would be dramatically different from a U.S. invasion of the country?

Two reasons: Afghanistan, which both the Soviet Union and the U.S. invaded, and Iraq, which the U.S. invaded.

MHz
Why pretend things. Okay Goober WTF do you have against Iran, I find it hilarious that a speech by them can make the US (and others) run for the doors. Considering how badly the US has screwed with them since 1953 it's actually not so shocking, more like poetic justice.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Funny, I thought the OP was well thought out and logical. But then I have always thought that patriotism is more responsible for war than religion in the last 100 years or so.

My country, right or wrong! I can understand taking up arms to protect our home territory but going over seas is an act of aggression that I will never support. But I guess that is why they invented propaganda - most people would rather believe it than to actually think for themselves.

Andem
Free Thinker
I think it's a pretty good article because it brings to light exactly what the media and government in the US has said and flips it around and really makes you think about what many in the US believed at one point. I think most Canadians never really believed what CNN or MSNBC might have 'reported' or what government policies they agreed with to the tune of spreading democracy.

Admin note to Goober: Your post was uncalled for and unnecessary. That was exactly what we discourage here at CC.

Machjo
YouTube - Midnight Oil - My Country

Nuggler
As long as the tin supply could be guaranteed, Americans would yawn, turn over and go back to sleep.

Us too.

Even without the tin.

No one really NEEDS Bolivia. Their music is horrible.

Oh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HPYOTHETICAL......

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Why pretend things. Okay Goober WTF do you have against Iran, I find it hilarious that a speech by them can make the US (and others) run for the doors. Considering how badly the US has screwed with them since 1953 it's actually not so shocking, more like poetic justice.

The leadership is the problem - Publicly stating they want to wipe Isreal from the map - That one PM of Iran stated he would use Nukes - Are you are OK with that?
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:39 PM..Reason: Removed Personal Attack.

JBeee

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

The leadership is the problem - Publicly stating they want to wipe Isreal from the map - That one PM of Iran stated he would use Nukes - Are you are OK with that?

Last edited by Ron in Regina; Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:39 PM..Reason: Removed Personal Attack.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by JBeee View Post

Agree or disagree?
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Sep 26th, 2009 at 10:37 PM..

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Establishment propaganda is the problem. The "information" we are being fed is mostly fabricated to make people hate peoples and nations so that we will willingly accept killing them. The only way to find out the truth of any situation is to go there and observe for yourself. Everything else is just hearsay or unadulterated BS.

YukonJack
Conservative
Late news flash indicates that Venezuela is seeking Iran's help to develop Nuclear power.

So, the invasion of Bolivia may not be all that hypothetical.

The thug who masquaredes as Venezuela's President would do ANYTHING to poke his fingers in American eyes.

JBeee
With war-mongering neighbors like the US, can you blame them?

Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

Late news flash indicates that Venezuela is seeking Iran's help to develop Nuclear power.

So, the invasion of Bolivia may not be all that hypothetical.

The thug who masquaredes as Venezuela's President would do ANYTHING to poke his fingers in American eyes.

YukonJack
Conservative
"With war-mongering neighbors like the US, can you blame them?"

If the war-mongering American did not buy Venezuelan oil, and if the same war-mongering Americans did not tolerate the CITGO rip-off stations on American soil, and if the war-mongering Americans put a naval blokade on him, this tin-pot dictator would be hanging upside down, like Mussolini.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Jack,

You are a classic example of those who would rather believe propaganda than investigate the truth on your own.

YukonJack
Conservative
"Jack,

You are a classic example of those who would rather believe propaganda than investigate the truth on your own. "

This classic no-answer reminded me of the words of Cassius Clay to Sonny Liston:

"Yo are so ugly, I don't know if I should whip you or cage you".

Cliffy
Free Thinker

"Jack,

You are a classic example of those who would rather believe propaganda than investigate the truth on your own. "

This classic no-answer reminded me of the words of Cassius Clay to Sonny Liston:

"Yo are so ugly, I don't know if I should whip you or cage you".

Now that is funny, Jack! You are pretty scrappy for a geriatric old fart. Everything we are fed by the Yankee media about Iran and Venezuela is nothing but hate mongering. If there was any real threat from either, the Yanks would have bombed the crap out of both of them long ago. All this propaganda is just in prep for an eventual invasion simply because they won't kiss Yankee butt (like you do, Jack).

taxslave
Free Thinker
If war mongering Americans did not help England in 1942 Hitler or his offspring would likely still be ruling Europe and Commies would over run Taiwan. Of course if they hadn't helped out in the first war hitler probably would never have come to power but Europe would still be indentured to Germany. Other than that they do tend to prop up tin pot dictators in third world countries in exchange for reasonable deals on various commodities.

YukonJack
Conservative
"Now that is funny, Jack! You are pretty scrappy for a geriatric old fart. Everything we are fed by the Yankee media about Iran and Venezuela is nothing but hate mongering. If there was any real threat from either, the Yanks would have bombed the crap out of both of them long ago. All this propaganda is just in prep for an eventual invasion simply because they won't kiss Yankee butt (like you do, Jack)."

Petty, but typical personal insults aside, the fact that the U.S. has not "bombed the crap out of them long time ago" proves that THe U.S is not a war-monger.

BTW, coming from you, I consider "geriatric old fart" a compliment. I hope you will live long enough for some disrespectful young punk call you that.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

BTW, coming from you, I consider "geriatric old fart" a compliment. I hope you will live long enough for some disrespectful young punk call you that.

They already do. In fact I refer to myself as such. For me it is a term of endearment that is why I honour my elder with the same tag.

YukonJack
Conservative
"They already do. In fact I refer to myself as such. For me it is a term of endearment that is why I honour my elder with the same tag."

In that case, Cliffy, I apologize. Based on your posts, I had no idea that you were a senior citizen.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

In that case, Cliffy, I apologize. Based on your posts, I had no idea that you were a senior citizen.

Yup, 63 going on 18. I love senility. I can get away with almost anything.

YukonJack
Conservative
"Yup, 63 going on 18. I love senility. I can get away with almost anything."

Yup, I am 70 going on 71. To the best of my knowledge I have not experienced senility, as yet. Disagree, if you must.

You enjoy being in your status, but you would deny me the pleasure of being "senile" once in a while.

Unlike you, I have no desire to "get away with almost anything".

I know the meaning of the word: RESPONSIBILITY.

JBeee
"Their music is horrible"....Are you deaf or just unable to appreciate South American cultural music?
The Pan Flute has to be one of the sweetest sounding instruments ever invented!

Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

As long as the tin supply could be guaranteed, Americans would yawn, turn over and go back to sleep.

Us too.

Even without the tin.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Now that is funny, Jack! You are pretty scrappy for a geriatric old fart. Everything we are fed by the Yankee media about Iran and Venezuela is nothing but hate mongering. If there was any real threat from either, the Yanks would have bombed the crap out of both of them long ago. All this propaganda is just in prep for an eventual invasion simply because they won't kiss Yankee butt (like you do, Jack).

Cliffy
Yep - That Hugo is a real defender of democracy now ain't he.

JBeee
You`re still here?....

Cliffy

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#26  Top Rated Post
''tin-pot dictator ''

Correction: democratically elected - just like Bush said he wanted throughout the world.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

''tin-pot dictator ''

Correction: democratically elected - just like Bush said he wanted throughout the world.

Now Gopher I expected better from you - Venezuela - free elections -- Man pass on some of that smoke eh.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Us too.

Even without the tin.

Think "coffee", Nugs. I like Bolivia. Colombia, too.

AnnaG

Cliffy

Kind of like Karzai, huh?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Kind of like Karzai, huh?

As long as Karzai keeps the poppy supply heading west he will remain a friend of the US. Chavez had the balls to stand up to the US and do his own thing and now he is the bad guy. He may not be a very nice man but nobody, no country can compare to the US for brutality in foreign countries. Team America - World Police: making a mockery of democracy!