THREE !!! S O S 's means, hey it's ok !!!

Nuggler
Questions emerge after skier dies, husband saved | Sympatico / MSN News

TenPenny
The RCMP were looking for their cold-weather tasers before they headed out.

Twila
From the radio report I heard last night it sounds like RCMP have decided to pass the blame...

CanadianLove
Here are a couple of Regional link from CTV on the story.

CTV British Columbia- Survival experts say lost couple did the right thing - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

CTV British Columbia- Skiers lost on B.C. mountain worried about wolves - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

CTV.ca | RCMP admit 'error' for not launching SOS search

talloola
I read this story in the paper, and it is unbelievable, they could have found those
people in two days, from the first SOS. And now, just watch the buck passing that
happens, and no one will take the blame, and they will just talk about avoiding this
'problem' in the future.

Who did they think was putting the sos signals in the snow, the 'animals'?
This is disgusting.

CanadianLove
Another one just came out.

CTV British Columbia- Search policies can vary between resorts - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

Liberalman
Lazy is a better term for this and I hope someone loses their job over this Incompetent act.

Fourteen days and finally they get off thier arse and do something. Shame shame and double shame

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

From the radio report I heard last night it sounds like RCMP have decided to pass the blame...

Why is it always "Blame the RCMP". The newspaper report states: Kicking Horse Mtn. Resort was called. They checked for unreturned equip. rentals and found no sign of anyone missing (does this mean people did not use their own equip?) The resort aslo notified Golden and Dist. Search & Rescue. In turn, the volunteer team told the pilot to call the RCMP. But the RCMP were never contacted that day .
They were not contacted for another 6 days but lets blame them.

Cliffy
IslandSpecific,

Get with the program, my dear. When something goes wrong someone has to take the blame (at least in the public eye) and that someone is usually the person or organization with the highest profile. There doesn't seem to have been any politicians involved so the RCMP are the next best scapegoat. Search and Rescue are volunteers - can't blame them. Resorts are too busy making money and in a capitalist society, money comes first.

It's just human nature, (at least "civilized" human nature) and you should not get your nickers all in a knot every time some knuckle head pisses on the force. It will help you sleep better. Pleasant dreams!

Your cousin Cliffy..

PS: remember incest is a game the whole family can play!

Nuggler
Lost skiers fought off wolves to stay alive: brother

Now the guy "fought off wolves", which he didn't.

Far as I'm concerned two things went wrong.
1. They skied out of bounds. DUMB !! DUMB!! DUMB!!
2. Their SOS signs were not investigated thoroughly and quickly. This is a travesty, as 3 shots, three fires, three brightly coloured anything arranged so they can be seen; SOS, Mayday, are ACCEPTED DISTRESS SIGNALS. Now, no one pays attention?

The RCMP should have been notified immediately.

It's a really sad and tragic ending which didn't have to happen.

Twila
Quote:

Why is it always "Blame the RCMP". The newspaper report states: Kicking Horse Mtn. Resort was called. They checked for unreturned equip. rentals and found no sign of anyone missing (does this mean people did not use their own equip?)The resort aslo notified Golden and Dist. Search & Rescue. In turn, the volunteer team told the pilot to call the RCMP. But the RCMP were never contacted that day.
They were not contacted for another 6 days but lets blame them.

Initials reports aren't always correct.

talloola
[quote=Cliffy;1057877]IslandSpecific,
. Search and Rescue are volunteers - can't blame them. Resorts are too busy making money and in a capitalist society, money comes first.

That is not an excuse that anyone should accept, none of them should have
sluffed this off at any time, they caused a death by doing so.

Sure it is dumb to ski out of bounds, I agree, but after that fact, it was possible
to save both of them, and it wasn't done. Inexcusable.

Twila
Maybe These types of resorts should have very very visible posting board or pamphlets or maybe even a course about the dangers of the back country. Along with what a hiker/backpacker/skier/showshoer should have IF they decide to travel through forest they are not familiar with.

A common sense list of what to do and what not to do while in the back country. IT seems that this winter has seen a larger then normal amount of ignorant people venturing into the back country and getting lost.

They were worried about wolves? man, I'd be worried about bears, not wolves

VanIsle

Initials reports aren't always correct.

And they are not always wrong. That report was quoting an RCMP officer. Is she a liar now because the RCMP are always wrong?

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

IslandSpecific,

Get with the program, my dear. When something goes wrong someone has to take the blame (at least in the public eye) and that someone is usually the person or organization with the highest profile. There doesn't seem to have been any politicians involved so the RCMP are the next best scapegoat. Search and Rescue are volunteers - can't blame them. Resorts are too busy making money and in a capitalist society, money comes first.

It's just human nature, (at least "civilized" human nature) and you should not get your nickers all in a knot every time some knuckle head pisses on the force. It will help you sleep better. Pleasant dreams!

Your cousin Cliffy..

PS: remember incest is a game the whole family can play!

Well cousin, if I did not get my nickers in a knot over something (particularly someting stupid) then I would not be human. Search & Rescue are volunteers but usually the head person has enough brains to call the police.
From as much as I know about this case, I think the worst thing they did was to check out of their hotel and then go skiing without telling anyone. This is a "foreign" part of the country to them. It's not quite like they were skiing in a place they knew well. They have to take responsibility too. People have no idea how many prank calls go into not just the police but fire departments and ambulance calls as well. Since there was no evidence anyone was missing from anywhere, while it was still wrong to ignore it, I can see how it happened at least one time. By the second time someone should have clued in no matter who was told. Sadly, it's all about the money. We all know these types of searches cost lots. It should be a criminal offence to do any of these activities without notifying someone of your itinerary and also if you deviate from your plan without notifying someone first.
I thank you for your words Cliff but the hatred for the RCMP goes too far on this forum.

Cliffy
Well cousin, if I did not get my nickers in a knot over something (particularly someting stupid) then I would not be human.

IslandSpecific,

My remarks of course were sarcastic. I don't really follow the news, so I know nothing of this case. I was just having fun at everyone's expense, but I guess my sense of humour is just to ahead of its time to be appreciated.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Islandpacific View Post

Well cousin, if I did not get my nickers in a knot over something (particularly someting stupid) then I would not be human. Search & Rescue are volunteers but usually the head person has enough brains to call the police.
From as much as I know about this case, I think the worst thing they did was to check out of their hotel and then go skiing without telling anyone. This is a "foreign" part of the country to them. It's not quite like they were skiing in a place they knew well. They have to take responsibility too. People have no idea how many prank calls go into not just the police but fire departments and ambulance calls as well. Since there was no evidence anyone was missing from anywhere, while it was still wrong to ignore it, I can see how it happened at least one time. By the second time someone should have clued in no matter who was told. Sadly, it's all about the money. We all know these types of searches cost lots. It should be a criminal offence to do any of these activities without notifying someone of your itinerary and also if you deviate from your plan without notifying someone first.
I thank you for your words Cliff but the hatred for the RCMP goes too far on this forum.

The first sighting of the S O S should not have been ignored, it should have
been thoroughly checked, a helicopter should have been sent to that area,
and they should have exhausted all ideas that it 'didn't mean anything, the
S O S was there, someone put it there, that tells the story, there are no kids
out there playing in the snow doing pranks, the animals didn't do it, it was
obviously done by someone in trouble, there is no other story.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Well cousin, if I did not get my nickers in a knot over something (particularly someting stupid) then I would not be human.

IslandSpecific,

My remarks of course were sarcastic. I don't really follow the news, so I know nothing of this case. I was just having fun at everyone's expense, but I guess my sense of humour is just to ahead of its time to be appreciated.

LOL - maybe your sense of humour is behind it's time! We cannot expect anyone who lives in the boonies to be completely up on the news now can we. You are not much more than a few steps up from when you lived in the woods.
The problem is - the people from Quebec were out in the woods and they didn't tell anyone they were going. That was the beginning of the end. Blame must go where it lays and while it followed a chain on down, once again, it was the RCMP's fault.
What you had to say really wasn't far off the mark. It may in fact have been right on it rather then being funny.
Are you taking your pills? I need you to stay on here talking to me now and again.
Take care.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Islandpacific View Post

LOL - maybe your sense of humour is behind it's time! We cannot expect anyone who lives in the boonies to be completely up on the news now can we. You are not much more than a few steps up from when you lived in the woods.
The problem is - the people from Quebec were out in the woods and they didn't tell anyone they were going. That was the beginning of the end. Blame must go where it lays and while it followed a chain on down, once again, it was the RCMP's fault.
What you had to say really wasn't far off the mark. It may in fact have been right on it rather then being funny.
Are you taking your pills? I need you to stay on here talking to me now and again.
Take care.

Hey, I'm from Quebec and I never told anybody I was going to live in the woods! And you are probably right about me being behind the times. Most city slickers shouldn't be wandering about the bush. It takes a lot of years to develop a sixth sense out there.
Yes, I'm on my meds and doing better than I have in years. I am enthusiastic about promoting my book and slowly learning the ropes. I have been invited by the local college to talk to their social studies class about the Sinixt. The book is selling well because it is a hot topic around here. I'm stoked.

L Gilbert

Maybe These types of resorts should have very very visible posting board or pamphlets or maybe even a course about the dangers of the back country. Along with what a hiker/backpacker/skier/showshoer should have IF they decide to travel through forest they are not familiar with.

A common sense list of what to do and what not to do while in the back country. IT seems that this winter has seen a larger then normal amount of ignorant people venturing into the back country and getting lost.

They were worried about wolves? man, I'd be worried about bears, not wolves

Bears are still hibernating. Wolves don't hibernate.
IMO, the entire issue was bungled from the initial lack of planning and preparing of the husband and wife, all the way to their actual recovery.

petros
You haven't lived until you've been rescued by helicopter.

petros
Quote:

I am enthusiastic about promoting my book.....

I'd like to buy one.

Twila
Quote:

And they are not always wrong. That report was quoting an RCMP officer. Is she a liar now because the RCMP are always wrong?

I was referring to the radio report I heard. Do you have family members who are RMCP or something?

petros
Quote:

the people from Quebec were out in the woods and they didn't tell anyone they were going. That was the beginning of the end.

Many provinces have laws that require you to notify the RCMP or local Conservation Officers if you are going back country. There is a reason for "No Skiiing Out Of Bounds" signs. If you want to do that notify those who can save your ass before hand.

Twila
Quote:

IMO, the entire issue was bungled from the initial lack of planning and preparing of the husband and wife, all the way to their actual recovery.

I fully agree with you. I guess the beauty of the landscape prevents people from recognizing the dangers.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Many provinces have laws that require you to notify the RCMP or local Conservation Officers if you are going back country. There is a reason for "No Skiiing Out Of Bounds" signs. If you want to do that notify those who can save your ass before hand.

I don't know if BC has this law, but it should. This year alone there has been tragedy after tragedy on the mountains.

VanIsle

I was referring to the radio report I heard. Do you have family members who are RMCP or something?

Yes. My husband was a member for 30 years.