A Donald Trump presidency would be better for Britain

Blackleaf
Apart from it seriously annoying the BBC and the Guardian, here are reasons why a Trump presidency will be good for Britain...

Rod Liddle
7 November 2016
The Spectator

If Trump wins, I wonder if the BBC will be as exultant as it was in 2008, when Obama won? Here’s a small bet – it won’t be. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. It’s almost worth him winning for that alone. Oh, and for the Guardian’s tears.

I don’t like Trump. There seems to be no coherence to his policies. He is boorish, sure. But it is his inarticulacy and apparent stupidity that bothers me more. That being said, if you are British and a pragmatist you should be hoping for Trump to win. It is incredible the degree to which this particular facet of the US election – easily the most important to us over here – has been ignored by the media. Because when you examine the contrasting policies towards the UK from the two candidates, it really is a no-brainer who we should hope to win.

Take Brexit. Whether you were for Remain or Leave, we are leaving and need to secure the best possible future for our country, no? The Democrats have made it absolutely clear that in trade deals we are ‘at the back of the queue’. They were vehemently opposed to Brexit, a position made clear by Hillary Clinton herself, who also opposed any independent trade deal with the UK, worried that it might have an impact upon US jobs. There is no such problem with Trump – who not only cheered the Brexit result but has said that a trade deal with Britain would be near the top of his agenda. Whether a Remainer or a Leaver, then, it’s clear that Trump is better for Britain.

I don’t know what the Donald’s policies are on Latin America, apart from the exciting wall stuff. But I do know that Hillary Clinton has been insistent that we enter talks with Argentina to discuss the future of the Falklands. She was importuning on behalf of the Argies while Secretary of State. We told her to piss off. There would be no such rubbish from Trump.

But more importantly than all of these, he is far less prone to the hysterical rubbish the West – and especially the US Democrats – are whipping up against Russia. This is to my mind by far the most dangerous development in foreign policy for twenty years, and I do not understand the point of it. Nor does Trump, to the extent of being described as a stooge of the Kremlin. My suspicion is that he knows far better who are the real enemies of the West.

As I say, I don’t like Trump. And I can see many reasons why Americans would prefer Clinton as president. But in pragmatic terms, I cannot see a single reason why British people would yearn for a Clinton presidency, other than it accords with their ideologies.

A Donald Trump presidency would be better for Britain | Coffee House

lone wolf
Free Thinker
He might be looking for a job the day after tomorrow. No doubt he'd accept your offer....

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

He might be looking for a job the day after tomorrow. No doubt he'd accept your offer....

He doesn't need a job. He's a billionaire.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

He's a billionaire.

Prove it.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Might be liening that way - according to IRS

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Well, by all means, do elect him President of Britain.

Remington1
I would guess that all of America's enemy perhaps!!

Blackleaf
+1
#9  Top Rated Post
Why I, and millions like me, will vote for Donald Trump

Daniel McCarthy
8 November 2016
The Telegraph

Donald Trump waving to thousands of fans at a rally on August 22 in Mobile, Alabama Credit: -/AP Photo

Today I will happily cast a vote for Donald Trump. According to the conventional narrative in Europe, that means I must be racist, isolationist, an idiot or all three, right?

Wrong. Trump has won me over with a campaign focused on breaking away from the corruption and incompetence that has characterised so much of my country’s leadership over the past 20 years. He has built a remarkable coalition for change, consisting of everyday Republican voters and working-class Americans in industrial regions where Democrats have usually been more successful. He is arguably the closest thing to a One Nation conservative that US politics has seen in a generation. That’s why tens of millions of Americans will be voting for him.

There is an obvious parallel to recent British politics. Voters who supported leaving the EU were not Right-wing extremists, they were ordinary people who wanted to reclaim control of their lives. America also has globalist bureaucrats to contend with – not in Brussels but in Washington, DC. Voting for Trump is a way of reasserting America’s national interests against a self-centred elite that dreams of reshaping the world in its own image, as over trade deals negotiated in secret by civil servants.

Trump will reopen questions that the establishment considers closed. Voters would like stricter enforcement of the laws against illegal immigration. This policy is favoured by citizens of all ethnic backgrounds, including Hispanics; but not by the Washington technocrats, who think less of public order than what immigration contributes to the bottom line of big businesses.

Likewise on war and peace: Americans are disgusted by the inept use of military force over the past two presidential administrations, which have yielded only chaos and gains for Islamist extremism. Hillary Clinton has the worst record of any US politician: she voted for George W Bush’s Iraq war as a senator and as secretary of state was the driving power behind Obama’s intervention in Libya.

A civilian fighter holding the Libyan flag stands in front of damaged buildings in Beghazi, Libya Credit: Mohammed el-Shaiky/AP Photo/File

Trump is no isolationist. He is not looking to abrogate treaties with Japan or America’s Nato allies. But he has raised a question that the public has long been asking, namely, whether America carries too much of the burden for defending Europe and East Asia. Since the Cold War, the self-declared foreign policy experts have made so many catastrophic mistakes – involving themselves in endless Middle East conflicts while simultaneously antagonising Russia and depending on China to underwrite our debt – that they have forfeited the public’s trust. It’s no paradox to say Trump may strengthen the old alliances by forcing them to mend their ways and justify themselves anew.

Ye Olde plotters against Brexit Credit: Bob Moran/Telegraph

British voters have had a taste of how judges can take it upon themselves to void the will of the people. The US Supreme Court and lower judges have laid down the law on many questions that should properly be left to the people and their elected representatives, particularly in matters related to same-sex marriage – which became law throughout the US by a Supreme Court decision.

Trump is no opponent of homosexual rights: he made history at the Republican convention this year by featuring a speaker, the entrepreneur Peter Thiel, who said, “I am proud to be gay”. Trump opposes judicial activism, however, and has promised to appoint to the Supreme Court justices who will stick to interpreting the constitution rather than rewriting it.

Donald Trump holds up an LGBT flag Credit: -/Getty Images

The theme of all Trump’s positions has been to give the public back its voice in the nation’s most important decisions. Yet instead of addressing his campaign in these terms, his political and media opponents target his personal failings, exaggerate his brash and politically incorrect tendencies, to paint him as a bigot and a lunatic. It has worked, but only up to a point.

British voters were also called bigots and irresponsible naifs for supporting Brexit. When they vote today, Americans may well feel that taking back responsibility for their own lives and laws is worth that risk. That’s certainly the conclusion I’ve reached. On the big questions, Trump is right. I’m with him.

Daniel McCarthy is editor of The American Conservative

Why I, and millions like me, will vote for Donald Trump

Blackleaf
TREVOR KAVANAGH Donald Trump’s barnstorming victory offers huge opportunity for Brexit Britain and Theresa May

Theresa May knows it is vital for Britain to cement good relations with the new US President

By Trevor Kavanagh
9th November 2016
The Sun

DONALD Trump’s “Brexit” presidential triumph was a stinging slap in the face for Hillary Clinton and the political elite who thought they ran America.

But it was also a potentially lethal blow to the blinkered bosses of the European Union – and a unique advantage for new British PM Theresa May.

President-elect Donald Trump, who is half British, pictured during his victory speech

In Berlin and Brussels last night there were cries of “calamity” and “emergency” as the shock results came in from Washington.

“The self-destruction of the West continues,” screamed one newspaper.

But Europe’s crisis is an opportunity for Britain – and Theresa May seized it as one of the first to congratulate Mr Trump, wish him “good luck” and stress our “Special Relationship” with America.

Half British Trump is a fan of Britain and its open market. He has sunk his own cash into the country.

And he was the only senior American to reject Barack Obama’s ill-judged warning that Britain would go to “the back of the queue” on trade if we quit the EU.

Donald Trump seen with his family at his election night rally in Manhattan, New York

In stark contrast, the President-elect supported Brexit in the referendum and promised Britain would be “treated fantastically” if we left.

Indeed it was Trump who put the word “Brexit” into the global dictionary as a definition of voter defiance.

Few in the USA had heard the word until it was popped into the tycoon’s mouth by Nigel Farage who was constantly at his side.

Trump promised “Brexit times ten”. His victory would be “Brexit plus, plus, plus”.

Now he has put wind in the sails of another insurgent, French populist Marine Le Pen, who threatens a “Frexit” earthquake next spring. Like Trump, she is an outsider, written off as a potential President.

Victory in Paris would trigger convulsions in Germany where Angela Merkel faces an election backlash over mass immigration and in Holland where right wingers are on the rampage.

Donald Trump displayed on the Empire State Building following his victory

Marine Le Pen wants to follow Britain out of the EU. Defeat for Merkel would remove the lynchpin of EU political power.

The new White House incumbent has already warned EU leaders he will cut America’s contribution to Nato forces unless they cough up more cash for their own defence.

But while condemning other EU states for relying on America to come to its rescue, he respects Britain as one of the few countries which meets defence spending targets.

This is where Britain can be a crucial ally.

Theresa May will be among the first Western leaders invited to the Oval Office to meet the President after he takes over in January.

For all his bravado, Trump will be stunned by his new responsibilities as the 45th US President and leader of the free world.

He is untested as a politician and statesman and will need all the experienced friends he can get.

He would not be human if he did not pounce on a chance to strike up a valuable relationship with a tried and trusted ally.

Theresa May has the advantage as a new PM of starting with a clean diplomatic sheet.

Downing Street would have assumed a Hillary Clinton victory, providing continuity in international affairs.

Trump seemed by comparison to be volatile, impulsive and alarmingly inexperienced.

Angela Merkel is facing a backlash over immigration in Germany

Theresa May was one of the first leaders to congratulate the new President-elect

But while predecessor David Cameron once described Trump as "divisive, stupid and wrong" over his controversial plan to temporarily ban Muslims from entering America, Mrs May has never uttered a word of criticism against the billionaire tycoon.

Unlike President Obama who barely concealed his distaste for Britain’s colonial record, Trump has invested millions of his own dollars here with two controversial new golf courses in Aberdeenshire.

SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon, who sacked him as a business ambassador for Scotland, had to eat her words yesterday and insist ties would remain “deep and enduring” under his presidency.

Mrs May knows it is vital for Britain to cement good relations with America’s new Commander-in-Chief.

Marine Le Pen, leader of French far-right political party National Front, is an outsider like Trump

Trump has invested millions into the UK, in the form of his Scottish golf clubs

Mr Trump has caused alarm in Europe with his eagerness to talk to Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Syria, the Middle East and Ukraine.

It will be Theresa May’s task to rebuild once-indestructible ties between the UK and USA fractured by the Iraq War and sidelined during the Obama presidency.

Britain may no longer be a world power but the White House is filled with tributes to the UK including a presidential desk carved from the oak timbers of a British warship.

Until recently, a bust of wartime leader Sir Winston Churchill was kept on their desk. President Obama consigned it to an outside office.

Tory PM Margaret Thatcher developed a remarkable Special Relationship with successive American presidents, especially Ronald Reagan. Together they helped persuade Russia to “tear down” the Berlin Wall.

Indeed, it was the Kremlin that dubbed Thatcher The Iron Lady.

Many Tories are already hailing Theresa May as the new Iron Lady. The election of unpredictable Donald Trump as leader of the Free World gives her a golden opportunity to show her diplomatic skills.

We are a huge asset to the USA, whoever is president. Our remarkable intelligence service and a place at the UN top table make Britain an important soft power on the world stage.

Who knows, we might even persuade President Trump to put Churchill’s bust back in the Oval Office?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/215127...d-theresa-may/
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 9th, 2016 at 01:23 PM..

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Blackleaf

Translation: "Brexit - And Now France!"

My new avatar

Murphy
Conservative
+1
Spoiler Alert!

The Donald Says He'll Likely Drop Bomb On Britain
Bryan Mung - TTN

The Donald was overheard saying one of the first things he will do is order a tactical nuclear strike on the UK.

"The British people are so incredibly stupid." Trump told people some time ago.

"Just looking at them tells me a lot. They are a failed genetic strain."

Trump was speaking to a large group of people about how he will deal with the UK once he becomes president.

"There will be no Brexit because there will be no UK."

His comments were loudly applauded by everyone in the room, including the British diplomatic Corps, who apparently were too dim to understand what was said.

Blackleaf
Britain's armed with nukes, too.

Murphy
Conservative
+1

As a group, you're so moronic, you'd drop them on yourselves. That's why the US let you have a few.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Theresa May was one of the first leaders to congratulate the new President-elect

Every new President needs an eager British lap dog. It's an old tradition going back to the beginnings of Airstrip One.

Machjo
But no worries Blackleaf. At least you won't be at the back of the cue. Trump will prioritize a trade deal with the UK allowing it to export Marmite to the US tariff-free.

But hey, it's a start.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

That's why the US let you have a few.

We build our own nuclear weapons at Aldermaston.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Every new President needs an eager British lap dog. It's an old tradition going back to the beginnings of Airstrip One.

I think you'll find that May recognises that it's important to work alongside the president to make this world a better place.

Blackleaf
Good for us – BAD for Europe' President Trump will be great for post-Brexit Britain

DONALD TRUMP’S understanding and expertise over trade will be good for post-Brexit Britain and bad for the EU, a senior republican commentator has said.

By CYRUS ENGINEER
Thu Nov 10 2016
The Daily Express

Mr Trump has made clear he wishes to sustain and improve the special relationship with Britain as it exits the EU.

Charlie Wolf, a British-based Republican commentator and radio host, also believes the EU will face an uphill battle with President-elect Trump.

Speaking to Sky News he said: “This is part of the good news [Trump’s relationship with the UK].

“People were all saying the world is going to fall apart. It is not. This is a guy who understands trade and depends on trade.

Donald Trump's election is good news for Britain, according to Charlie Wolf

He continued: “His election will also be bad for Europe as he is not really as interested in the Europeans because they do not think like he thinks.

“We [the UK] are more of a capitalist, free market kind of people that Donald likes and we will have a deal pretty soon.”

When asked about Barack Obama’s infamous warning that Brexit would send Britain to the back of the queue in regards to a trade deal, Stacy Hilliard, the chair of American Voices International, dismissed such fears.

She said: “I think Donald Trump will put the UK at the front of the queue and it is a real opportunity for the UK to seize upon.

“This is a real opportunity and people need to start looking at Brexit as an opportunity and also a Trump presidency as an opportunity.”

Theresa May says she is eager to work with President-elect Trump

Half-British Trump with his British family - including his cousin Calum Murray (second from the left) - on the Isle of Lewis in 2008

Following Mr Trump’s shock election triumph Theresa May moved to congratulate him and express her eagerness to work with him in the future.

She said: “I would like to congratulate Donald Trump on being elected the next president of the United States, following a hard-fought campaign.

“Britain and the United States have an enduring and special relationship based on the values of freedom, democracy and enterprise. We are, and will remain, strong and close partners on trade, security and defence.

“I look forward to working with president-elect Donald Trump, building on these ties to ensure the security and prosperity of our nations in the years ahead.”

No 10 announced Mrs May had also written a personal letter of congratulations to the President-elect.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson also sent his best wishes to America’s next leader saying: I believe passionately in the importance of the UK-US relationship and am confident we can take it forward together.”

In his victory speech in New York City, Mr Trump, 70, issued a call for unity across America. He said: “Now it’s time for America to bind the wounds of division. To all Republicans and Democrats and independents across this nation, I say it is time for us to come together as one united people.”

In her concession speech, Hillary Clinton also called for calm and for the country to unite behind its new president.

She said: “We must accept this result and then look to the future. Donald Trump is going to be our president. We owe him an open mind and the chance to lead.”

Donald Trump will be boost for post-Brexit Britain claims Charlie Wolf | UK | News | Daily Express
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 10th, 2016 at 09:27 AM..

tay
US President Donald Trump has said he expects a "powerful" trade deal with the UK to be completed "very quickly".

Speaking at the G20 summit in Hamburg, he said he would go to London. Asked when, he said: "We'll work that out".

The US president is holding talks with UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss a post-Brexit trade deal.

It is one of a series of one-to-one meetings with world leaders which will also see Mrs May hold trade talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Ahead of their meeting, Mr Trump hailed the "very special relationship" he had developed with Mrs May.

"There is no country that could possibly be closer than our countries," he told reporters.

"We have been working on a trade deal which will be a very, very big deal, a very powerful deal, great for both countries and I think we will have that done very, very quickly."

Sir Christopher Meyer, a former British ambassador to Washington, said Mr Trump's statement of intent was a "very good sign for the future" and would be "useful" to Mrs May.

But Sir Simon Fraser, a former diplomat who served as a permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, cast doubt on how soon any trade deal could be reached.

"The point is we can't negotiate with them or anyone else until we've left the European Union.

"And the Americans and others will not negotiate with us until they know what our relationship with the EU is going to be, because the access we have in Europe is hugely important for the advantages that they can get from their relations with us"

more

G20: UK-US trade deal to happen quickly, says Trump - BBC News

Blackleaf
Quote:

But Sir Simon Fraser, a former diplomat who served as a permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, cast doubt on how soon any trade deal could be reached.

"The point is we can't negotiate with them or anyone else until we've left the European Union."

I wish the Remoaners would stop peddling this blatant lie.

Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 8th, 2017 at 05:26 AM..

tay
I trust Sir Simon's opinion before I trust the yours.......

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

I trust Sir Simon's opinion before I trust the yours.......

I wouldn't if I were you, because he's talking bollocks.

There is NOTHING to stop Britain negotiating trade deals whilst it remains in the EU - as you will see very shortly.

When Remoaners like Sir Simon Thingamajig peddle the myth that "we can't negotiate trade deals until we leave the EU" they are either naively believing in a myth or they are blatantly telling a lie.

Come on, Mr Fraser and all the other Remoaners. It's time to stop peddling this myth once and for all:

Negotiating International Trade Treaties Before Exit

Claims have been made by European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and others that the United Kingdom is legally prevented while it remains an EU member from formally negotiating and concluding post-exit trade agreements with non-member countries. Francis Hoar, Lawyers for Britain Committee Member and barrister, has looked into this issue in depth. His conclusions are clear and are set out below, and his full article can be downloaded here: Francis Hoar: UK's Right to Negotatiate Free Trade Agreements before leaving the European Union (PDF).

Executive summary - conclusions

1 Since the United Kingdom’s referendum vote to leave the European Union, it has been suggested that the UK may not negotiate future free trade agreements (‘FTAs’) with countries outside the EU while it remains a member state. This view has no support from the EU Treaties or the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU): the EU may not prevent the UK negotiating and entering into such treaties providing that they will not come into force until the UK withdraws from the EU.

International Trade After Brexit