French vegans in dock over baby's death

gerryh
Quote:

Two vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.
Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

French vegans in dock over baby's death - Yahoo! News

ahhhh yes, soooooo healthy. Any vegans want to try and defend this one?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

They may be too weak to type.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

They may be too weak to type.

Idiots.

DurkaDurka
Some Grey Poupon might have helped, who's to judge the French though?

earth_as_one
Are all vegans killing their children or is this an exception?

If people go vegan, they have to educate themselves about nutrition:
Feeding your vegetarian baby

BTW, I just decided to go nearly vegan two weeks ago. I have cut out all meats except fish, all dairy products, eggs... I mostly eat raw fruits and vegetables.

DurkaDurka
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

BTW, I just decided to go nearly vegan two weeks ago. I have cut out all meats except fish, all dairy products, eggs... I mostly eat raw fruits and vegetables.

For health reasons I hope?

meat is where it is at, represent the steaks, yo

Colpy

Why doesn't that surprise me?

petros
+1

Kiss your joints good bye and buy some sweaters.

gerryh

This vegan killed her child. Inadequate diet because of stupidity.

bill barilko

This vegan killed her child. Inadequate diet because of stupidity.

Since she already has another healthy child I think it was more abject stupidity/wilful ignorance than diet.

petros
You can't survive without fat. PERIOD

YukonJack
When I was younger I used to eschew (did not chew, sorry, I could not resist this) meat during Lent, but as I grew older I started to feel weak without meat for 40 days.

I could never be a vegetarian, let alone a vegan.

#juan
+2
#13  Top Rated Post
Humans are not natural vegetarians. Humans are omnivores. We eat vegetables
but our bodies need things that are found only in meat and dairy products.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

Since she already has another healthy child I think it was more abject stupidity/wilful ignorance than diet.

They were not Vegans when that child was born.

Cliffy
+1

They were not Vegans when that child was born.

Then obviously they did not know how to balance their diet properly. Because we are omnivores, being a vegan takes special knowledge and care to get the proper balance of nutrients. But I tend to agree with Petros, we need animal fat and protein to stay warm and healthy. Vegans are the fundamentalists of the vegetarian crowd.

The Old Medic
Neglect for not treating her bronchitis yes. For being vegan, no.

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

For health reasons I hope?

meat is where it is at, represent the steaks, yo

Yes its for health reasons.

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Humans are not natural vegetarians. Humans are omnivores. We eat vegetables
but our bodies need things that are found only in meat and dairy products.

Our ancestors used to eat a lot more roots, leaves, bark, bugs and grubs. I doubt they ate nearly as much meat or saturated fats. Our ancestors never ate fast or processed food. Many food additives like artificial color, flavors, preservatives are new to our diet. Then there are all the contaminants and toxins in our food like pesticides, hormones and antibiotics... A I'm trying to cut out warm blooded animals and eat lower down the food chain, before the toxins are as bio-accumulated.

But I'm not going extreme. If friends and family come over, I'll still barbecue steaks and open a bottle of wine. Day to day, I'm eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables.

Cliffy
In a perfect world, we would grow and kill our own meat animals. When I lived up north in the bush, we turned three sows loose in the forest and a year later, after they gave birth to a litter each, we shot them and butchered them ourselves. They were as lean and organic as any wild animal. Best pork I, or anybody else who tasted it, ever had.

SLM
+1
When are people going to learn that it is not enough to simply make choices, but that one must make informed choices? Is it too much to expect a little common sense? Or is it that common sense is just really not that common?

Such a waste and a tragedy. A bit of research by this couple would have solved the problem before it started.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

When are people going to learn that it is not enough to simply make choices, but that one must make informed choices? Is it too much to expect a little common sense? Or is it that common sense is just really not that common?

Such a waste and a tragedy. A bit of research by this couple would have solved the problem before it started.

You are right, common sense is uncommon. Bit of an oxymoron, what?

Cliffy
"the lion lays down with the lamb".... Gonna be some weird critters comin' outa those unions. Mutants, I tells ya, mutants everywhere.

AnotherMother

Can't go nearly...its all or nothing baby

Elder

French vegans in dock over baby's death - Yahoo! News

There is no defense for such utter ignorance and carelessness. Yes, I be vegan and this issue has nothing to do with being vegetarian. We know the importance of vegetable proteins, fibres, carbohydrates and all the rest of it. All they had to do was research vegan nutrition but they were too stupid to do so.