US Bagram prison needs reform - Red Cross

dancing-loon
Red Cross: Change Needed at US Prison
Published: April 14, 2008
Filed at 3:53 p.m. ET

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Red Cross criticized the way the U.S. handles prisoners at the highly secretive Bagram military base, urging reforms Monday that would allow detainees to introduce testimony in their defense.
The criticism of the prison, which few outsiders have seen, goes to the heart of the system the Bush administration uses to justify holding detainees outside the U.S.
Jakob Kellenberger, president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said many of the 600-plus detainees at Bagram complain they do not even know why they are being held. Kellenberger spent a half day at the prison during a one-week visit to Afghanistan that ended Monday.
''They do not know what the future brings, how long will they be there and under which conditions will they be released,'' Kellenberger told a news conference.
While Kellenberger's comments were aimed specifically at Bagram, Red Cross chief spokesman Florian Westphal said there was ''a strong parallel'' with the U.S. military detention centers in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Please, read full article: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...=1&oref=slogin
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slowly the world is waking up and dares to openly criticize the almighty US government!!
From earlier reports I know that Bagram prison is one of the worst for torturing prisoners. No mention of it in this report. I wonder why? I guess the US guards "clean up" before some official arrives.
Read here: http://revcom.us/a/117/bagram-en.html

Scott Free
Free Thinker
I find it amazing that so many people are pissing and moaning about Tibet and China when the USA is currently committing far worse crimes against humanity. I am seriously starting to think that North America is collectively insane.

dancing-loon
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

I find it amazing that so many people are pissing and moaning about Tibet and China when the USA is currently committing far worse crimes against humanity. I am seriously starting to think that North America is collectively insane.

Are you including Canadians? I hope they have not yet tortured, but we have elements within who wouldn't think twice to imitate the Americans.
Here is an article, " America must lead on torture by example"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Read especially the comments that follow.

Scott Free
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by dancing-loon View Post

Are you including Canadians?

I am, or at least our media. I had the misfortune of listening to CBC all weekend. I was sickened as story after story covered Tibet and there was an obvious slant against China in the stories. Now if, as the Americans would have us believe, it is justifiable to invade, occupy and slay women and children to give those same people a better life, then China has a very high moral ground indeed! They even got rid of the Dali Lama who had slaves! China doesn't allow slavery.

The radio mentioned Darfur (in the context of China), the world food crisis etc.. but not one word about Iraq, which in my opinion is the worst crimes against humanity this century!

I would like to see the USA bared from attending the Olympics! China and it's alleged crimes are small potatoes compared to the evil Americans have done and are currently doing.

dancing-loon
Scott, you mentioned "the world food crisis etc.. but not one word about Iraq,". Read here what an old Iraqi has to say:
Quote:

"Look at us begging for food despite the fortunes we have," 60-year-old Um Muthanna from Baghdad said. Standing at a vegetable market in central Baghdad where vegetable supplies are not what they used to be, Um Mahmood despaired for Iraq.
"A country with two great rivers should have been the biggest exporter in the world, but now we beg for food from those who participated in killing us."
Iraq is rich in oil and agricultural resources.

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/48227/