Pakistan objects to U.S. claims it shelters leaders of al-Qaeda

CBC News
Pakistani officials have sharply rejected U.S. claims that the country is harbouring senior al-Qaeda leaders and serving as a nerve centre controlling terror operations.

More...

gopher
Interestingly, when Negroponte's remarks were presented on C-Span, he did not present evidence of his claims. No satellite photos, no captured soldiers or defectors, no documents or plans or maps, and nobody from Pakistan to testify on his behalf.

The Bush regime has a well established history of telling lies and distortions. It will interesting to see how Congress handles its unsubstantiated claims.

sanctus
Onw wonders if the USA is planning to invade everyone! That is, they can barely handle Iraq, but they are shaking their swords at Iran, and now Pakistan!! How long before they start rattling the cages towards Jordan, Syria, and all the other nations in the area. Haven't they enough to do "freeing" the Iraqi people?

gopher
And just as significantly, why is the rest of the world so silent at this sabre rattling??? Hasn't the world learned from the examples of Hitler and Mussolini that appeasement does not work!

MikeyDB
Silly gopher....

Our good friend...Frum...you know the Canadian speechwriter hanging out with Carlyle et al...he encouraged Dubbya to call it a "crusade" and stick with that term...but would he listen.....

Who do you think is in control of the U.S. government right now...the people??????

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

And just as significantly, why is the rest of the world so silent at this sabre rattling??? Hasn't the world learned from the examples of Hitler and Mussolini that appeasement does not work!

Bad bad gopher, you just gave the world some responsibility towards their actions or inactions.

You can't do that!

gopher
Gee, what was I thinking???

tamarin
The area is full of interlopers. When Afghanistan is discussed Pakistan is always mentioned with contention. When Iraq is considered it is always Iran that is fingered for its mischief. Lots of smoke. Has to be some fire.

L Gilbert
Pakistan objects to U.S. claims it shelters leaders of al-Qaeda
Did anyone expect them to say, "Yeah, we have lots of terrorist leaders here"? Duh!

mapleleafgirl
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Interestingly, when Negroponte's remarks were presented on C-Span, he did not present evidence of his claims. No satellite photos, no captured soldiers or defectors, no documents or plans or maps, and nobody from Pakistan to testify on his behalf.

The Bush regime has a well established history of telling lies and distortions. It will interesting to see how Congress handles its unsubstantiated claims.

dont they have to go along with the president? i dont know if this is true or not cos their government seems so confusing compared to parliament. like they can have a president from one party and a whole government from another. dosent make sense to me.

gopher

dont they have to go along with the president?

Yes they do. But the point I did not adequately make here is that in the past, Bush regime administrators would make the most ridiculous claims (you recall the repeated claims of WMD in Iraq) without presenting even a shred of evidence. The problem was that when Congress was dominated by Republicans they acted as if each of those endless lies were Gospel Truth!

In this particular instance, Negroponte followed the same pattern by making general comments, charges of all kinds, innuendo, but not one bit of proof was presented to verify any of his claims.

Now the real question is, will Congress continue to knuckle under to these endless lies or will they demand actual proof before they decided to take action on Bush's demands?