Duffy found not guilty of charges of fraud, breach of trust

mentalfloss
Welp.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust

An Ottawa judge has found Senator Mike Duffy not guilty of eight charges of fraud and breach of trust related to living and travel expense claims, the first rulings in a 308-page decision.

Justice Charles Vallaincourt began delivering his decisions on 31 criminal charges against Duffy earlier Thursday morning.

Vallaincourt started his judgment summary by declaring Duffy is an "overall credible witness."

He said the Crown limited its cross-examination of Duffy after his many hours of witness testimony, leaving much of that testimony unchallenged.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust - Politics - CBC News

***UPDATE - 12 charges dismissed, 19 to go
Last edited by mentalfloss; Apr 21st, 2016 at 12:20 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Welp.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust

An Ottawa judge has found Senator Mike Duffy not guilty of eight charges of fraud and breach of trust related to living and travel expense claims, the first rulings in a 308-page decision.

Justice Charles Vallaincourt began delivering his decisions on 31 criminal charges against Duffy earlier Thursday morning.

Vallaincourt started his judgment summary by declaring Duffy is an "overall credible witness."

He said the Crown limited its cross-examination of Duffy after his many hours of witness testimony, leaving much of that testimony unchallenged.

Judge in Mike Duffy trial dismisses 8 charges of fraud, breach of trust - Politics - CBC News

***UPDATE - 12 charges dismissed, 19 to go

Doesn't mean much, the last three can put him away for years and I'm betting the judge is well aware that not only must justice be done but must be seen to be done and HIS job possibly depends on that so Duffy should possibly prepare himself for a good stretch in durance vile!

mentalfloss
18 charges gone, 13 to go

I wonder how this will affect Harper if Duffy's acquitted of all charges.

Walter
Oh no!

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

It won't affect him at all, just make him appear to be extra vigilant, so no one can accuse him of closing one eye!

mentalfloss
Oh yes, I'm sure it will make him appear 'vigilant' haha

I'm sure the taxprayers will love this too.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Oh yes, I'm sure it will make him appear 'vigilant' haha

I'm sure the taxprayers will love this too.

Oh I doubt if the taxpayers will be fooled. I won't for sure.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

People like yourself blamed him for Duffy being there. I would assume you would owe him an apology. But I am sure you will feel it is somehow Harper's fault the judge didn't find him guilty.

mentalfloss
On Duffy's travel expenses, the judge found that parliamentary functions can include partisan activities. Further, parliamentary travel can be combined with personal travel. Duffy's claims were within Senate rules.

Duffy had no financial motive and "no sinister motive," he said. There's no evidence of false or padded claims and "no criminal intent," the decision said.

'No criminal intent': Charges dismissed so far as Mike Duffy ruling continues - Politics - CBC News

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+1
The damage was done, the horse and pony show helped get rid of Harper, but not as much as Mr. Layton's death helped unify the left vote under Liberal leader Justin Trudeau.

Locutus
+1
oh well...time for the summer toques to move on. nobody cares about this pudgy schmuck.

on to the next senator.

mentalfloss
28 charges cleared

From Terry Mikewsky
#duffy Judge slams PMO conniving over Duffy cash. "Shocking."

#duffy Judge says PMO stopped at nothing to pressure Duffy. Buying Duffy's theory that he merely capitulated to PMO bullying.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Is there not one person in the entire system that isn't rotten to the f**king core? Corruption breeds corruption!

mentalfloss
+1
Apparently Duffy as he was just cleared of all charges!

And the Don Martin of CTV tweets thus:

Starting to wonder if Stephen Harper was on trial with Duffy and didn't know it. The judge's verdict evicerating the Harper PMO.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

28 charges cleared

From Terry Mikewsky
#duffy Judge slams PMO conniving over Duffy cash. "Shocking."

#duffy Judge says PMO stopped at nothing to pressure Duffy. Buying Duffy's theory that he merely capitulated to PMO bullying.

Sad day for Canada!

mentalfloss
+2 / -1
It's a sad day for curmudgeons for sure.

This is going to propel Trudeau, and quite possibly the NDP as well.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2

Only to libtard robots such as yourself.

mentalfloss
+2 / -1
The salt is real.

You guys dig your own grave.

Walter
+1 / -1
It was all a lefty ruse from day one and the lefty press and low-info populace ate it up.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
It was a ruse to silence him and discredit the Senate

Walter
+2 / -1

How? He was acquitted on all charges.

Typical story from the drive-by media. Who do we smear next?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

The salt is real.

You guys dig your own grave.

I am unclear how this actually affects anything. I thought the whole idea that anything he did was actually illegal in the first place. It is unclear why the RCMP actually pressed charges. I am also unclear of any implications on Harper other than he was his appointment. I would think that his exoneration would be a boost to the Conservatives although at this point it really doesn't matter one way or the other. Election is not for another 3.5 years. Nobody will eve remember who Duffy (or Harper for that matter) is at that point.

mentalfloss
+1 / -1
Because the PMO under the CPC look like imbeciles.

The judge ripped into them good.

Walter

Because the PMO under the CPC look like imbeciles.

The judge ripped into them good.

How, exactly, if there was no guilt? You are daft, as all lefties are.

mentalfloss
+3
Wow the salt is hyper real lol

'Mind-boggling': Mike Duffy cleared on all charges as judge slams Harper PMO - Politics - CBC News

Walter

'Mind-boggling': Mike Duffy cleared on all charges as judge slams Harper PMO - Politics - CBC News

Mind-boggling only for lefties.

mentalfloss
+1 / -1
Yes we're all well aware that Conservatives are used to their own corruption.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation

Yes we're all well aware that Conservatives are used to their own corruption.

We know where to set the limits. We don't bother with things under 100 000$. It's the 1 billion dollar ones from the Liberals we fear most

mentalfloss
On a scale of 1 - bat**** egregious, Conservatives take the cake.

The volume and severity of their corruption outweighs both of the other parties combined and that's why they are the party in temporary holding until the Liberals take office again.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+4
#30  Top Rated Post
I recall several Liberal senators who had similar expense issues as Duffy. The Liberal solution seems to be to just not call them Liberals anymore.