Abbey Road: Beatles fans gather to recreate cover shot

Blackleaf

Thousands of fans made a pilgrimage to London's Abbey Road 50 years after the Beatles walked over its zebra crossing for the cover of the last album the band recorded.

The band was pictured striding across the road the album was named after on 8 August 1969.

Jaime Garri, 61, flew more than 14 hours from Santiago, Chile, to mark the 50th anniversary.

"You have to say thank you to them for giving us such lovely music," he said.

The image of John Lennon, Sir Ringo Starr, Sir Paul McCartney and George Harrison outside the EMI Studios in St John's Wood is one of music's most iconic moments.

Since the release of the Liverpool group's 11th studio album, the zebra crossing has become a tourist hotspot for devout fans who stop traffic to pose for pictures on the same spot.

And on Thursday, crowds came together in droves to recreate the moment once more.

'Love and positivity'

Fans at the event were in high spirits and many dressed up as their heroes in tribute to the band.

Momo Raickovic, who dressed as Harrison, told BBC News that the scene outside the studio was "magical", with groups bursting into renditions of their favourite Beatles songs.

Momo Raickovic

Having travelled from Toronto, Canada, to visit the site for the first time the 27-year-old said the experience was beyond his "wildest dreams".

"To me their music means love, positivity and happiness. Their songs spread the positive message and that was evident in people here," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49279293

NZDoug
I hate it when people play on pedestrian crossings.
I want to crucify them.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote:

Having travelled from Toronto, Canada, to visit the site for the first time the 27-year-old said the experience was beyond his "wildest dreams".

Don't dream real big, does he?

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

I hate it when people play on pedestrian crossings.
I want to crucify them.

Down shift a gear and boot it, man! They scatter like bowling pins, every time!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Don't dream real big, does he?

It was either that or standing in line for soup in a Seinfeld fantasy.

Blackleaf
Technically, it's not a zebra crossing. It's a pelican crossing.

Curious Cdn
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
I always thought of them as beetle crossings.

Blackleaf
One Direction seem to like re-creating album and single covers:

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

One Direction seem to like re-creating album and single covers:

Is spiralling down the bowl "one direction?"

NZDoug
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Down shift a gear and boot it, man! They scatter like bowling pins, every time!

I like the cross idea.
Goddo wanted to do an album cover with all 3 band members ,that is, himself, Doug Iglis and Gino Scarpelli on individual crosses.
Album title, "Its Already been done".
Very phuny.