France's best-kept secret in North America

B00Mer
+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2gMCuYY4rk

Many Canadians may not realize that the United States isn't the only country that Canada shares a border with. W5's Kevin Newman takes a tour of Saint-Pierre et Miquelon; a tiny archipelago with a French connection.

Curious Cdn
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Many Canadians may not realize that the United States isn't the only country that Canada shares a border with. W5's Kevin Newman takes a tour of Saint-Pierre et Miquelon; a tiny archipelago with a French connection.

I was there with the Navy, back in the 1970's . Interesting place. Utterly different from Quebec. Back then it was a fishing base for countries all over the world. I saw hyper-modern fishing vessels from Japan, of all places, fishing the now-empty Grand Banks from there. The French are as complicit as anyone in the collapse of the East Coast fishery.

Blackleaf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I was there with the Navy, back in the 1970's . Interesting place. Utterly different from Quebec. Back then it was a fishing base for countries all over the world. I saw hyper-modern fishing vessels from Japan, of all places, fishing the now-empty Grand Banks from there. The French are as complicit as anyone in the collapse of the East Coast fishery.

It's one reason for Brexit.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

It's one reason for Brexit.

Sounds like a fishy reason, to me!

Most of the damage on the Grand Banks was done by the Russians. That sounds like a good reason for building up our Armed Forces.

Jarmo
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

French collective on the languages in the Canada still yet.

Jinentonix
+2
Hey, we also share a border with Denmark on Hans Island. And what a conflict there has been over it. In fact, it's EXACTLY the type of "war" you'd expect between Canada and Denmark. There's been a lot of Danish and Canadian casualties during this war. Fortunately they're just bottles of whiskey and schnapps.

NZDoug
freedom Fries, just add oil.......

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

freedom Fries, just add oil.......

I do remember that the fast food in St. Pierre had odd names. In Quebec a hot dog is either "le 'ut dug" if you can sneak it by the language police or "chien chaud" ... a direct translation that probably started out as a joke and stuck. Another Quebec version is "steamee" based on their cooking technique.

In St. Pierre, the same items are "saucisses" ... which is quite a different food item in Quebec.

Patates Frites as I recall are just "Patates" . They sure as hell aren't "French Fries" seeing as that food item is actually Belgian.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Hey, we also share a border with Denmark on Hans Island. And what a conflict there has been over it. In fact, it's EXACTLY the type of "war" you'd expect between Canada and Denmark. There's been a lot of Danish and Canadian casualties during this war. Fortunately they're just bottles of whiskey and schnapps.

Two bald men fighting over a comb ...

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I do remember that the fast food in St. Pierre had odd names. In Quebec a hot dog is either "le 'ut dug" if you can sneak it by the language police or "chien chaud" ... a direct translation that probably started out as a joke and stuck. Another Quebec version is "steamee" based on their cooking technique.
In St. Pierre, the same items are "saucisses" ... which is quite a different food item in Quebec.
Patates Frites as I recall are just "Patates" . They sure as hell aren't "French Fries" seeing as that food item is actually Belgian.

Two of the dumbest translations I've seen were "Cenderillo", which was the French version of Cinderella, a totally made up name in the first place. And then there was Star Wars. Even in France is was f*cking called Star Wars, but in Quebec? Noooo, it was billed a Les Guerres D'Etoiles.

Not really sure how they get away with forcing the language change when it comes to registered trademark names.

NZDoug
French military asked a CDN SAR crew what "SAUVETAGE" meant.

Serryah
Maybe it's moreso the landlocked Western parts of the Country that had no idea but around here, most know the Islands belong to France.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by NZDoug View Post

French military asked a CDN SAR crew what "SAUVETAGE" meant.

Let me guess ... They have "Rescue" painted on the sides of their boats?

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Maybe it's moreso the landlocked Western parts of the Country that had no idea but around here, most know the Islands belong to France.

Their relationship is quite close with nearby Newfoundland. There has been a lot of intermarriage over the ages and the native St. Pierrais are connected families with Newfs on the Burin Penninsula.

taxslave
Puts two genes in the pool anyway.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Puts two genes in the pool anyway.

They're really nice people, both in SPM and Newfoundland.

Too bad those "nice" genes were lost as the settlers moved West.

Danbones
Yes walking across the gulf of the saint Lawrence in july might do that to a body.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Yes walking across the gulf of the saint Lawrence in july might do that to a body.

It's the drugs, right Crazy Pants?