What's your gripe with Grapes?

CDNBear
Not only have I met the man, I donate to two charities because of him, and they are the only charities I donate to.

The man is an icon, a hero and an all around straight shooter.

Sure he shoots his mouth off, but so does the bulk of this forum. He's actually got the guts to say it in real life.

So bring it, what's you gripe with Grapes?

VanIsle
Grapes who!!!

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Grapes who!!!

Don Cherry...

Don Cherry (ice hockey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VanIsle
I've never heard him called that before. He does say it like it is. I like him.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

I've never heard him called that before. He does say it like it is. I like him.

I thought he was just the man in the "drapery" blazers!

Risus
An icon?? give me a break. A hero? What had he done? He is an arrogant a$$, couldn't coach a team if his life depended on it. His Mississauga maddogs or whatever ther were called did really well didn't they? All he does is promote fighting in hochey, and insults whoever doesn't agree with him. On top of that, most of the time he doesn't know how to dress. Want me to continue??

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

An icon?? give me a break. A hero? What had he done? He is an arrogant a$$, couldn't coach a team if his life depended on it. His Mississauga maddogs or whatever ther were called did really well didn't they? All he does is promote fighting in hochey, and insults whoever doesn't agree with him. On top of that, most of the time he doesn't know how to dress. Want me to continue??

Besides making CBC's top ten Greatest Canadians, his work with Rose Cherry's Home for Kids, and wounded warriors, to name but two.

The man is also a quintessential figure in Canadian hockey, whether you like it or not.

eh1eh
I find grapes are a good source of fiber.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Besides making CBC's top ten Greatest Canadians, his work with Rose house, and wounded warriors, to name but two.

The man is also a quintessential figure in Canadian hockey, whether you like it or not.

Doesn't surprise me that he made CBC's list, since he works for them. Greatest? No way. So what he has a couple of charities? Many others do too. As I said before , he was a failure as a coach.

CDNBear

Doesn't surprise me that he made CBC's list, since he works for them. Greatest? No way. So what he has a couple of charities? Many others do too.

Quote:

As I said before , he was a failure as a coach.

And we all know that's how you measure a man...

mt_pockets1000
Yep, he's done a lot for charity and he's a great spokesman for the game of hockey.

He's also a legend in his own mind.

Let's put him and Lowell Green in a room together and let them duke it out.

Risus

And we all know that's how you measure a man...

On top of that he only played 1 (one) game in the NHL....

CDNBear

On top of that he only played 1 (one) game in the NHL....

Like I said...

You've reached a whole new level of "lame" arguments Risus.

Risus

Like I said...

You've brought new meaning to "lame" arguments Risus.

No lame argument. He has 2 charities. So do other people. What else has he done besides promoting fighting in hockey to sell his rock 'em videos? NOTHING besides run his mouth off. No way he's a hero, icon, or a great Canadian. End of discussion.

CDNBear

No lame argument. He has 2 charities. So do other people. What else has he done besides promoting fighting in hockey to sell his rock 'em videos? NOTHING besides run his mouth off. Ho way he's a hero, icon, or a great Canadian. End of discussion.

Don't blow a gasket there skippy!

talloola
I like him away from hockey night in canada, he tells good
stories about old time hockey when he played, very interesting, but on HNIC he is acting, and most times sounds
like a dithering old man who has demetia.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I like him away from hockey night in canada, he tells good
stories about old time hockey when he played, very interesting, but on HNIC he is acting, and most times sounds
like a dithering old man who has demetia.

Yeah, on HNIC, he's just a bad actor going through the motions of the idiocy he's expected to say.

But people lap it up for some reason.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear Professor of Assholology View Post

The man is an icon, a hero and an all around straight shooter.

LOL!!!

The man is a buffoon and a noted failure-which of those attributes appeals?

And why?

L Gilbert
Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.
I've never heard Cherry called "Grapes" before.

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.

I have heard the same thing about him from mutual acquaintances in Toronto. And I agree with Anna...I think he's hilarious and quite entertaining.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

I have heard the same thing about him from mutual acquaintances in Toronto. And I agree with Anna...I think he's hilarious and quite entertaining.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of those soap opera fans who get so wrapped up in the drama that they think the actors are just like their characters. lol
As our oldest likes to put it, "It ain't real. It's in the script".

Risus

I'm surprised some of you guys have never heard of him being called Grapes. It has been his nickname for years, a play on his last name and 'sour grapes'.

gerryh
why do I dislike Cherry?....... cause you like him.

L Gilbert

I'm surprised some of you guys have never heard of him being called Grapes. It has been his nickname for years, a play on his last name and 'sour grapes'.

lol It fits.
I was under the impression you didn't like him, but gerryh says he dislikes him because you like him.

Risus

lol It fits.
I was under the impression you didn't like him, but gerryh says he dislikes him because you like him.

I think he was referring to CDNBear, who started the thread and likes the guy. I detest him, lol.

talloola

he's been called grapes for many years.

Bar Sinister
I am sure Mr. Cherry is a very nice man in person, but he should stick to hockey and should not be using HNIC as a podium for his right wing views. He might know how to diagnose a play, but he is ignorant of most of the great social issues he expounds upon and has frequently made to on-air comments that can only be construed as being little short of racism. He was hired as a colour commentator and has turned his position to comment on social and political issues that are clearly beyond his understanding, such as the war in Afghanistan.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

LOL!!!

The man is a buffoon and a noted failure-which of those attributes appeals?

And why?

Neither, because he's neither...

SCB likened it to the seat covers from my 69 Beetle.

And it's true, he's a very cool dude in person.

As for his on air persona, he's a straight shooter. He call's them like he sees them. And he most certainly is more subdued in person.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of those soap opera fans who get so wrapped up in the drama that they think the actors are just like their characters. lol
As our oldest likes to put it, "It ain't real. It's in the script".

Your oldest seems smarter then some members LG, good work!

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

why do I dislike Cherry?....... cause you like him.

I think I get where you're coming from GH...very funny...

I think he was referring to CDNBear, who started the thread and likes the guy. I detest him, lol.

That's obvious. You and I don't see eye to eye, and I don't see eye to eye with several people here. And in some cases it get's heatedly obvious, but having never met any of you, I can't "detest" any of you, for in the end, I only know one aspect of you.

But then again, I'm more a realist, then most it seems.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I am sure Mr. Cherry is a very nice man in person, but he should stick to hockey and should not be using HNIC as a podium for his right wing views. He might know how to diagnose a play, but he is ignorant of most of the great social issues he expounds upon and has frequently made to on-air comments that can only be construed as being little short of racism. He was hired as a colour commentator and has turned his position to comment on social and political issues that are clearly beyond his understanding, such as the war in Afghanistan.

I actually agree with you. HNIC is not the venue to be pushing ones personal opinions on political issues, unless of course you're of the opinion, those political issues have a direct reflection on the ability to do what you do...

Kind of like his support for the troops, whom most fully understand, make sure we can still play the game...

His commentary on visors and the "French guys and Europeans" who wear them, has been proven to be correct.

He's since admitted that not joining the US in Iraq, was a good idea. But reminds people his intent was to focus on the fact that Canada didn't support its Allies. Not to mention the excellent debate that that commentary created between him and Ron. Besides that, free speech is for everyone, even... actually... especially , for those we disagree with.

Whether you agree with his views or not, he is a Canadian icon, he is a hero to many, both in the field of hockey, amongst our Troops and those going through tough times with sick children.

People with far less service to this country have won the Order of Canada, like Valari Pringle. Because they tow the line and follow the script.

I like Grapes just the way he is, brash, loud and oft over the top.
Last edited by CDNBear; Feb 24th, 2010 at 07:03 AM..

Avro
Don cherry is a big mouth clown.....jackets....need I say more? I'm surprised that he doesn't come out in big floppy shoes as well.

Couldn't play the game.

Can't coach the game he professes to know everything about.

He's a bigot and prejudiced.

He's biased towards the Leafs and Boston on a national broadcast.

He can't count.

He's a bully.

He promotes a part of the game that doesn't need to be part of the game and that has been prov-en time and time again in international play like the Olympics.

He does a commercial on the radio for Magic Windahs (his pronunciation) that makes me want to blow my brains out.....don't get your hopes up though.

I no longer watch the CBC because of him and the other morons on HNIC....I watch the game on RDS or TSN.

The only thing I will give Don credit for is his emotional tributes to each and every brave soldier who has given their life in Afghanistan.....for that I commend him.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Don cherry is a big mouth clown.....jackets....need I say more? I'm surprised that he doesn't come out in big floppy shoes as well.

Couldn't play the game.

Can't coach the game he professes to know everything about.

He's a bigot and prejudiced.

He's biased towards the Leafs and Boston on a national broadcast.

He can't count.

He's a bully.

He promotes a part of the game that doesn't need to be part of the game and that has been prov-en time and time again in international play like the Olympics.

He does a commercial on the radio for Magic Windahs (his pronunciation) that makes me want to blow my brains out.....don't get your hopes up though.

I no longer watch the CBC because of him and the other morons on HNIC....I watch the game on RDS or TSN.

The only thing I will give Don credit for is his emotional tributes to each and every brave soldier who has given their life in Afghanistan.....for that I commend him.

At least you're balanced and fair...