How to Win the Winter Olympics

Bar Sinister
Watching the current winter games in Vancouver I was struck by the number of events that featured not a single Canadian or those where Canadians had very little chance. It seems to me that if you really want to win you have to target and finance events that allow multiple entries and have numerous events. I have listed a few of these below with the number of potential medals available and compared them to the two sports Canada is really good at.

Skiing (all disciplines) - over 200 potential medals
Speed skating 48 potential medals

Compare these events to hockey (2 potential medals) and curling (2 potential medals)

Just from these numbers it can be seen that if a nation wants to "Own the podium" it should be actively funding athletes in events that allow multiple entries and where there are a large number of events, and that an active program should be established to get citizens to participate in these events.

It will be expensive, of course, but what price national pride?

EagleSmack
Didn't Canada fund these events through the "Own the Podium" program?

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Didn't Canada fund these events through the "Own the Podium" program?

Nah....it was the "concede the podium" program.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Nah....it was the "concede the podium" program.

That is what it looks like.

Avro

That is what it looks like.

Tell me about it.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Watching the current winter games in Vancouver I was struck by the number of events that featured not a single Canadian or those where Canadians had very little chance. It seems to me that if you really want to win you have to target and finance events that allow multiple entries and have numerous events. I have listed a few of these below with the number of potential medals available and compared them to the two sports Canada is really good at.

Skiing (all disciplines) - over 200 potential medals
Speed skating 48 potential medals

Compare these events to hockey (2 potential medals) and curling (2 potential medals)

Just from these numbers it can be seen that if a nation wants to "Own the podium" it should be actively funding athletes in events that allow multiple entries and where there are a large number of events, and that an active program should be established to get citizens to participate in these events.

It will be expensive, of course, but what price national pride?

Excellent point, which brings up another point- maybe we are too focused on the number of medals and not focused enough on such aspects as accomplishment, fellowship, camaraderie and just the enjoyment of the sport WIN OR LOSE. Maybe there is too much of this business of having to beat somebody and not enough on just performing to the utmost of your OWN ability.

Johnnny
We should have taken a quarter of what we spent advertising the olympics and spent it on the athletes before the Olympics lol

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Excellent point, which brings up another point- maybe we are too focused on the number of medals and not focused enough on such aspects as accomplishment, fellowship, camaraderie and just the enjoyment of the sport WIN OR LOSE. Maybe there is too much of this business of having to beat somebody and not enough on just performing to the utmost of your OWN ability.

One of the most impressive things I've seen thus far is the "togetherness" of Canadians in the streets of Whistler and Vancouver. The crowd even stood up and sang "O Canada" during a curling game the other night!

The Olympics might have done more for Canadian unity than any other government-financed attempts in the past.

I agree on the sportsmanship thing as well...there is a ton of value in having people work together toward a common goal and have fun doing it. Our athletes have all worked hard to get to the Olympics, and I do appreciate how much they've put into the effort. If they win a medal, it's a bonus.

#juan
The bad old USSR used to draft all their good athletes into the Red Army. They swore these athletes were amateur but it was found that a good Soviet Javelin thrower was being paid as a Colonel in the Red Army. Remember when Nancy Green was asked for her medal back because she had shown the brand name of her skis on TV. She never gave it back. Remember when we couldn't use NHL players because they were professionals. Not much has changed except that all winning skiers make sure they show the brand name of their skis.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

The bad old USSR used to draft all their good athletes into the Red Army. They swore these athletes were amateur but it was found that a good Soviet Javelin thrower was being paid as a Colonel in the Red Army. Remember when Nancy Green was asked for her medal back because she had shown the brand name of her skis on TV. She never gave it back. Remember when we couldn't use NHL players because they were professionals. Not much has changed except that all winning skiers make sure they show the brand name of their skis.

Right... how could we forget the USSR Hockey team!

They used to punish NHL teams.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by faeulrich View Post

I think considering Canada's lack of athletes, the Olympics should have been held in a country that has better athletes. Like the US. Austria should have been the host country.
Do you know that on a list of countries that has the best athletes, Canada did not even make the list!!!! Look at the US,, it has the best athletes in the world, they give out scholarships and everything... in school, kids can participate in many avenues of sports, wrestling, football, basketball, boxing, baseball, archery, swimming,,,
and they are the most patriotic. The olympics is not about having fun,,, (it is not a playground),,, it is about winning and being the best for your country that you represent..

That does not mean that Canada shouldn't be able to host the games.

Avro

I think considering Canada's lack of athletes, the Olympics should have been held in a country that has better athletes. Like the US. Austria should have been the host country.
Do you know that on a list of countries that has the best athletes, Canada did not even make the list!!!! Look at the US,, it has the best athletes in the world, they give out scholarships and everything... in school, kids can participate in many avenues of sports, wrestling, football, basketball, boxing, baseball, archery, swimming,,,
and they are the most patriotic. The olympics is not about having fun,,, (it is not a playground),,, it is about winning and being the best for your country that you represent..

Really?

Considering our population compared to the US we do very well.

Multiply our medal count by ten and you get a fair comparison.

Eh wot?

JLM

Yeah, in the U.S. you can get a scholarship based on your athletic potential, but there are strings attached. There was this one student who had shown promise as a basket ball player, and things were going along fine until someone brought it to his attention that he had to pass an academic exam. WEll the instructor scratched his head for a long time mulling over just what kind of academic exam this "scholar" could pass and finally came up with the answer and so prepared an exam asking him to list the twelve months of the year. Guess what, he passed with flying colours- he got ten of them right and 83% is a pass at any school.

EagleSmack

Really?

Considering our population compared to the US we do very well.

Multiply our medal count by ten and you get a fair comparison.

Eh wot?

Can we factor cold weather days in Canada vs the USA?

Mowich

So right, JLM. I am very disappointed in people who put the emphasis on medal wins and not on the accomplishment of getting to the games in the first place.

Reading an article on CTV's website today, I found these comments by viewers which speak to the very points you made.

Jennifer Chapin
I am ashamed of a country that puts such expectations on athletes to peform like machines to assuage a newly-emerging US-type of ego, as if it's all about THEM and not about all of these STARS (because they are, all of them) who are doing the very best that they can. You critics, while you're sitting out there on your couch, quaffing your beer and eating your pizza, benumbed in front of your tv, know that these kids have worked their hearts out for years, mercilessly and relentlessly, and often with much angst and pain, to be the very best that they can be. Can you say the same about yourselves? Athletes, all of you, and from every country: I admire you, and applaud you. Regardless of your "standing", regardless of how a shallow world judges you, you are all my heroes. And always will be.

MKR
it really grinds my gears when people say our athletes choked, if you want better, go do it yourself, get off the couch, train like hell for many years and compete, until that happens congratualate them on doing their best and for competing on behalf of us, do not disgrace them by saying they choked and stuff, in sports anything can happen, a lot of people are up in arms about the hockey game, is it upsetting? yes, but guess what coaching from your couch will not help matters, i think the athletes know what went wrong and will conduct themselves accordingly, GO CANADA GO!!!

Bellboy
I'm ticked off at whoever put these ("supposed to metal") athletes up to the commercials that were made. Like Charles Hamelin...who told him to say during his commercial...''Canada...it's our time...it's MY time". There's enough stress and pressure just participating in the Olympics. They don't need the media telling them to make great predictions about their individual outcomes. Now people like Charles and Melissa Hollingsworth feel terribly bad about all the lofty predictive comments made during the commercials they made. I don't care how good an athlete is, you just don't publicly count your chickens before they hatch. At the Olympics, anything can go wrong and it clearly has. The athletes are human, not super-human.

Circusbread
"we" didn't dedicate ourselves to training for years, they did; "we" aren't carrying the hope and expectations of a nation, they are; "we" aren't competing with the best in the world with their own podium programs, they are; "we" aren't risking anything, they are; so respect their dedication, their effort, their accomplishments and the inspiration THEY provide for our youth to put down the game-controller, to get out and strive for excellence. "Own The Podium" - an unbelievably stupid, motivate-the-opponent, anti-Olympic spirit, propaganda phrase that was underfunded, politically useful and doomed from the start. @lalolad - perhaps the memories will be of athletes who are ordinary people with extaordinary dreams - not over-hyped millionaire celebs, or the ordinary people behind the athletes who give the inspiration no amount of money could ever match. Resist the Olympics becoming a corporate marketing event, allow it to be a celebration of and inspiration for youthful athletic striving.

EagleSmack
Well I feel that if the Canada Hockey Teams win out it will be a successful Olympics. Hockey is clearly the strength and the Canada loss only bought the US a "buy" in the first round.

This is not over by a long shot. I believe the Canada team heard their country loud and clear. If I had to bet I would still put my money on the Canadians in that sport.

#juan

Well I feel that if the Canada Hockey Teams win out it will be a successful Olympics. Hockey is clearly the strength and the Canada loss only bought the US a "buy" in the first round.

This is not over by a long shot. I believe the Canada team heard their country loud and clear. If I had to bet I would still put my money on the Canadians in that sport.

I don't think there is a guaranteed win for anyone. There are at least four teams in my estimation that can likely win the men's olympic hockey. Those teams would be Canada, USA, Sweden, and Russia, and I wouldn't entirely rule out the Finns. In ten years or so we'll all have to watch the Chinese.

JLM
[quote=Mowich;1224588]So right, JLM. I am very disappointed in people who put the emphasis on medal wins and not on the accomplishment of getting to the games in the first place.

Reading an article on CTV's website today, I found these comments by viewers which speak to the very points you made.

Yeah, I guess I've pretty well seen it all through my own kids sports activities when they were young, I've seen kids 8 and 9 years old whose parents expected nothing less than a Wayne Gretzky or Marilyn Bell to immerge, while making their lives a hell. One swimming instructor who had two daughters in the group my sons were in was the epitome of an egotist. Those poor girls had a very rigid routine, every hour was scheduled and every calorie they consumed was scrutinized. I vividly remember a windup function at the end of the season, where he deemed it OK on that one day of the year for the girls to enjoy a hotdog. His own daughters about 9 and 11 were scared sh*tless of him (he was a single father, there was no mother in the picture) There has to be variety and time for relaxation or you are just going to end up with robots.

Avro

Sure.

You can use the same math in the summer games, we beat you every time.

Sorry.

JLM

Well I feel that if the Canada Hockey Teams play a professional game to the best of their ability it will be a successful Olympics.

Avro

Well I feel that if the Canada Hockey Teams play a professional game to the best of their ability it will be a successful Olympics.

Loser talk.

We haven't yet you know.

Perhaps now they will take this seriously.

Bench Thorton and Bergeron....useless.

EagleSmack

Sure.

You can use the same math in the summer games, we beat you every time.

Sorry.

Too bad "per capita" does not really work so well and in the end you really don't beat us at all.

Sorry.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I don't think there is a guaranteed win for anyone. There are at least four teams in my estimation that can likely win the men's olympic hockey. Those teams would be Canada, USA, Sweden, and Russia, and I wouldn't entirely rule out the Finns. In ten years or so we'll all have to watch the Chinese.

True true. Hockey with teams on this type of parity goes back to that old saying...

"On any given night"

Avro

True true. Hockey with teams on this type of parity goes back to that old saying...

"On any given night"

I tired to explain that to Juan...wouldn't have any of it.

#juan

As long as we can add in population density...... Actually Canada wins about as many medals as we can reasonably expect. We already have more hockey rinks than any other country in the world and we have more kids playing hockey than any country but the smaller population base will catch up to us eventually. It stands to reason that a country with a larger population base will produce more superlative athletes than countries with a smaller population.

Curiosity
C'mon you guys....

There is usually only one winner in a sporting event whether individual or team - one winner.... it doesn't mean they are less than anyone else - it means someone
else got lucky - because sports along with rigorous training and knowledge and a
great bunch of sacrifice - demands perfection in all - and all members are perfect
but still there can only be one winner at that moment in time.

It isn't a brand which one carries forever - unless it is the idiot media who have nothing uplifting to chat about except stats from previous wins and losses.... and
thankfully they don't determine perfection.

I'd venture a statement which I believe to be true: All the athletes who were privileged and trained to perform at the Olympics are winners - and will be a winner for the rest of their lives. It is the essense of The Olympic Athlete

L Gilbert
I know one way that won't get you a win, pull your freakin goalie after you've worked like crazy to tie the game.

DurkaDurka

You seem like a confused chap. Canada has many talented athletes, which is evident by the number of medals won so far.

DurkaDurka

bloody hell, you do not need brains to be an athlete....
so the post about some jocks exam really is.... moot. as is the post about canada's populations VS the US! It is common knowledge they house the world's greatest athletes. I think after the olympics, canada's so called unity will go back to the norm of passiveness... and don't really care attitude... partriotism is not prevalent in your country as I can see. And if they were singing a athem during a game, that is just bad manners, tasteless and rude! I have to admit,,, I knew the US would win the hockey game....

It is also common knowledge that the Germans aren't very successful when it comes to running Olympics, Jews always seem to be targets.

DurkaDurka

Loser talk.

We haven't yet you know.

Perhaps now they will take this seriously.

Bench Thorton and Bergeron....useless.

The first one who needs to be benched is Brodeur. His stick handling cost them two goals last night.