Disgusted with CTV and TSN Reporting of Olympics


Mowich
#1
Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.

Brian Wilson should be sent to Siberia to cover dog-sled races.

The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room.

If it weren’t for my mute button, I think I might have smashed my TV such is the anger these incompetent, negative, smarmy, putrid, unpleasant, pessimistic, distasteful, obnoxious people engender in me.

I am very simply appalled.

CTV has failed miserably in reporting these games. They have repeatedly shamed us with their insipid, trite remarks about our athletes.

I have actually turned to the French reporting channels to watch some events rather than have to listen to a Canadian reporter slam another Canadian athlete. Who do these mouthpieces think they are??? Where does their loyalty lie? Why are they still on the air?

They should all go and work for the Fox network as their level of reporting is almost up-to-par with the likes of Glenn Beck.

I am actually beginning to think that CTV is being paid by some other network to bad mouth the games, the athletes and anything else that enters their tiny little un-Canadian minds.

So far the only events worth listening to are hockey and curling, at least the commentators reporting them stick to the games and if speaking of the individual players, are fair and balanced in their remarks.

I long for the days of CBC coverage of the Olympic games – where are they now?

 
TenPenny
#2
I think the coverage is far superior to what CBC used to do. I can turn on the tv, and see the actual competitions. On CBC all I saw was their annoying 'local culture' spots over and over, with the occasional interruption to give you the results of something.

With CTV using TSN and Sportsnet, there's usually 3 different events on at any one time, and they show the events, not the artsy fartsy crap that CBC prefers.
 
jjaycee98
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I think the coverage is far superior to what CBC used to do. I can turn on the tv, and see the actual competitions. On CBC all I saw was their annoying 'local culture' spots over and over, with the occasional interruption to give you the results of something.

With CTV using TSN and Sportsnet, there's usually 3 different events on at any one time, and they show the events, not the artsy fartsy crap that CBC prefers.

Yep! Far more coverage than we ever have had before. Every event not just Hockey and Figure Skating with a few downhill events thrown in.
 
talloola
#4
I get CTV, CBC, Sportsnet, and NBC, so it's nice to jump
back and forth.

Brian Williams seems to be part of the olympic picture,
he has been on CBC so long, it would be strange if he
weren't there.

They all have their little stories about athletes families,
etc., and it does get silly sometimes, I just keep flipping
the channel each time I don't want to watch what they are
doing.

The announcers have to learn that if an athlete doesn't
hit the medal level, it doesn't mean they failed, but
the focus on medals by these tv people seems to be 'it',
and anything else is 'the end', it just shows me how little
they really know about competition and sports.

I can handle them, they are just people doing their jobs, but the commercials become very tiring, again, I flip the channel.
 
Liberalman
#5
CTV=Crap Television
 
Walter
#6
Mowich said, "Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.
Brian Wilson should be sent to Siberia to cover dog-sled races.
The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room."

You shouldn't watch.
 
Avro
#7
Rod Black is a moron, if he is covering an event I'll switch the sound off.

Almost as bad as watching anybody on HNIC....I watch most games on RDS.
 
Mowich
#8
[QUOTE=Walter;1223847] Mowich said, "Rod Black should go back to saving children in third world countries.
Brian Wilson should be sent to Siberia to cover dog-sled races.
The rest of the CTV/ TSN so-called commentators should just be deported to the US where they would fit in much more comfortably with their style of reporting. They don’t stink, they reek. Hell I can smell them in my own living room."

You shouldn't watch.[/QUOTE

Except for hockey and curling, I have stopped watching all the other events, Walter. The over-the-top screaming and whinining by reporters and commentators finally got to me.
 
Mowich
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I get CTV, CBC, Sportsnet, and NBC, so it's nice to jump
back and forth.

Brian Williams seems to be part of the olympic picture,
he has been on CBC so long, it would be strange if he
weren't there.

They all have their little stories about athletes families,
etc., and it does get silly sometimes, I just keep flipping
the channel each time I don't want to watch what they are
doing.

The announcers have to learn that if an athlete doesn't
hit the medal level, it doesn't mean they failed, but
the focus on medals by these tv people seems to be 'it',
and anything else is 'the end', it just shows me how little
they really know about competition and sports.

I can handle them, they are just people doing their jobs, but the commercials become very tiring, again, I flip the channel.

Tallola, I would rather listen to you reporting the events then anyone of these over-the-top people doing so now. They are so extreme they make me cringe.

All beside the point now as I am only watching curling and hockey for the rest of the Olympics.
 
Mowich
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I think the coverage is far superior to what CBC used to do. I can turn on the tv, and see the actual competitions. On CBC all I saw was their annoying 'local culture' spots over and over, with the occasional interruption to give you the results of something.

With CTV using TSN and Sportsnet, there's usually 3 different events on at any one time, and they show the events, not the artsy fartsy crap that CBC prefers.

Just to be clear, TenPenny, I am not talking about camera or event coverage which I agree is far superior to that of past Olympics.
 
countryboy
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Just to be clear, TenPenny, I am not talking about camera or event coverage which I agree is far superior to that of past Olympics.

Except for the close-ups of the curlers picking their noses instead of showing us the "house." Apparently we need to see those close-ups so we can better "feel" the emotions of the players or something.

And, if I hear the question "How do you feel?" during post-win or loss interviews, I will have to use the mute button more frequently. (I was hoping Jon Montgomery would reply "With my hands!" to that tiresome question.

I suspect these touchy-feely questions originate with the interviewers' educational upbringing...you know, the one where self-esteem trumps results. ("Just spell it how it sounds, Joey. And don't worry about if it's correct or not - as long you feel good about it"). A generation of near-morons has made it to TV, finally.
 
Mowich
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

Except for the close-ups of the curlers picking their noses instead of showing us the "house." Apparently we need to see those close-ups so we can better "feel" the emotions of the players or something.

And, if I hear the question "How do you feel?" during post-win or loss interviews, I will have to use the mute button more frequently. (I was hoping Jon Montgomery would reply "With my hands!" to that tiresome question.

I suspect these touchy-feely questions originate with the interviewers' educational upbringing...you know, the one where self-esteem trumps results. ("Just spell it how it sounds, Joey. And don't worry about if it's correct or not - as long you feel good about it"). A generation of near-morons has made it to TV, finally.

I will go a step further and call them complete morons, CB. The other day during one of the speed skating events the idiot who was supposed to be commentating said something to the effect that 'all eyes in the audience would be on Hamelin'. I immediately thought, wait a minute there are people in the crowd from all over the world who are not the least bit interested in anyone other than their own competitors, so what exactly are you talking about. No sooner had I thought that when I heard him say, 'all eyes in the audience will be on Apolo Ohno'.

Do these people ever listen to what they are saying because it is more than clear to me that they sure don't bother to think before they open their stupid yaps.

As far as the close-ups of the athletes (curlers, skaters, etc.) I have to agree but then I have the same problem with the way TSN covers the CFL. They don't seem to be interested in covering the action as much as they are in getting a shot of someone picking their nose or adjusting certain parts of the body.
 
Avro
#13
It's worse than that Mowich, they got on the line yesterday and Black says "they are waiting for the word ready"

Gee whiz Rod thanks for that grasp of the obvious.

Another thing that was annoying is Brian Williams wouldn't shut up during the opening ceremony and CTV had their logo pretty close to the middle of the screen....anyone with an HD TV will know what I'm talking about.
 
Johnnny
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

whats HNIC?

hockey night in canada idiot
 
Avro
#15
 
CDNBear
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

It's worse than that Mowich, they got on the line yesterday and Black says "they are waiting for the word ready"

Gee whiz Rod thanks for that grasp of the obvious.

Another thing that was annoying is Brian Williams wouldn't shut up during the opening ceremony and CTV had their logo pretty close to the middle of the screen....anyone with an HD TV will know what I'm talking about.

How about that young lady from ETalk? Who the hell cares what celebs are in Vancouver, and seriously, do I care what they're wearing or drinking?
 
Avro
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

How about that young lady from ETalk? Who the hell cares what celebs are in Vancouver, and seriously, do I care what they're wearing or drinking?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I have heard her before on the radio, got the impression that she hates people who have succeeded.

The worst though is the presence of Ben Mulrouney......

They could have at least had Tanya Kim on there, here's why....

 
talloola
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Tallola, I would rather listen to you reporting the events then anyone of these over-the-top people doing so now. They are so extreme they make me cringe.

All beside the point now as I am only watching curling and hockey for the rest of the Olympics.

not sure if that is a complement or not. lol

yeah, they are all competing with each other, and they
do get a little carried away, but I am not going to 'not watch', which just hurts 'me', because of the announcing,
I will watch all of the events that interest me, and soak
it all in, in my own way, and we can chat with each other
in our room, or switch the channel when they become too
tiring.
I'm not sure why rod black has to do everything, can't
they hire some other announcers to do some things, he
does figure skating, golf, football, olympics, and he
is 'overexposed' to us, that is why we get so sick of him.
 
Kreskin
#19
I just wish CTV would quit playing that freakin music intro.
 
Walter
#20
I see the moderators don't like my reference to HNIC. Watch the movie Lean on Me and listen to what Morgan Freeman says about HNIC. What a bunch of political correctness. Foolish, mirthless children.
 
Avro
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I see the moderators don't like my reference to HNIC. Watch the movie Lean on Me and listen to what Morgan Freeman says about HNIC. What a bunch of political correctness. Foolish, mirthless children.

Throw that word around some Walt and say bye bye.

If the real you wants to come out perhaps you could peddle your wares here instead.
 
Mowich
#22
Found this article in the New York Times today and was pleasantly surprised to see that some Americans agree about the loss of CBC sports coverage.

Canadian TV Switch Displeases Americans
By JOANNE C. GERSTNER
Published: February 20, 2010

Here’s a couple of quotes from the article.

“I love watching the hockey on the CBC because they know the sport, they love it all,” Imby, 46, said. “This is only going to be the biggest event of the Olympics, hockey in Canada, and we have no hockey on the CBC. No Don Cherry, no Ron MacLean. Terrible. I always liked how the Canadians showed everything, not just their own teams.”

Sharon Lindstedt, a resident of Buffalo, has been watching CTV’s Olympic coverage.
“It’s better than NBC, but it’s not as good as the CBC,” Lindstedt, 53, said. “I’m trying to like the CTV. They’re a bit flashier than CBC. I know I’m lucky to have it. There is a clear difference between them and NBC. But I’d prefer CBC over them all. They’re more sophisticated, not as flashy.”

Frustrated American CBC Olympics fans are taking their protest to the Internet.

Kurt O’Keefe, a bankruptcy lawyer based in Detroit, started a Facebook page that longs for the CBC.

His Facebook group description reads: “In Detroit, we miss CBC. They covered the Games as if they were about the athletes and the competition, and not self-promotion of network personalities.” O’Keefe, a resident of Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., said he was resigned to trying to make the best of this situation.

“I know we’ve been lucky to have options of how we watched the Olympics,” O’Keefe, 56, said. “Maybe we got spoiled. We’re now finding out how the Olympics looks to the rest of the country who can’t watch Canadian TV. Once you’ve had that choice, it makes it really hard to go back to just having NBC.”
 
critter171
#23
don't try to bunch the usa has bad repoters there a decent people here that report good games and news... so you should re think or re thought what you ment by that.

kindof rude insult
 
talloola
#24
I'm very glad to be rid of don cherry and ron mcLean for
the olympics.

I never watch NBC, unless the others are repeats of what
I have seen, Costas with his little stories get tiring,
and we have the choice of three canadian ones, which I
like all of them better than the u.s. feed, but sometimes
if I want to get info re: an american athlete I will find
it on NBC, as they focus on their own athletes.
 
Risus
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171 View Post

don't try to bunch the usa has bad repoters there a decent people here that report good games and news... so you should re think or re thought what you ment by that.

kindof rude insult

?????
 
selin
#26
it is also disgusting to see every news written here about olympcs.
 
talloola
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by selin View Post

it is also disgusting to see every news written here about olympcs.

this is an exciting two weeks for canadians, we are having
fun, and there aren't that many threads about olympics, but
it doesn't matter, only one day left, and it's over, our
once in a lifetime celebration of the olympics at home.

GO CANADA GO
 
bill barilko
#28
I only watch hockey and occasionally found feeds with no audio at all-Nirvana!
 
Mowich
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

this is an exciting two weeks for canadians, we are having
fun, and there aren't that many threads about olympics, but
it doesn't matter, only one day left, and it's over, our
once in a lifetime celebration of the olympics at home.

GO CANADA GO

Oh, tallola, the positive energy that is so in evidence as a result of these Olympics is just awesome. Everywhere I go, people are talking about our country and our athletes. It is so exciting and so positive. What a wonderful time to be a Canadian citizen.

 
talloola
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Oh, tallola, the positive energy that is so in evidence as a result of these Olympics is just awesome. Everywhere I go, people are talking about our country and our athletes. It is so exciting and so positive. What a wonderful time to be a Canadian citizen.

You bet it is.

Two of my grandchildren, rode on the bus yesterday, then onto
the ferry, and spent the whole day in Vancouver, they just
couldn't stand missing out on the fun, 'and they had a ball'.
Took many pictures, the flame etc., people juggling, others
playing in bands, people everywhere, all day in the rain,
I'm sure glad when we went last monday, it was sunny and
warm all day, and we had a ball too.
We missed buying one of those 'japa' dogs, too long of a
lineup, they must be delicious.
 

Similar Threads

142
disgusted!
by relic | Jan 7th, 2010
30
When reporting on China.
by china | Aug 22nd, 2008