Facebook just admitted that using Facebook can be bad for you

Danbones
Facebook just admitted that using Facebook can be bad for you

Facebook said on Friday that there are certain use cases of the social network that can be bad for your health.
It also found that some use-cases can be positive, specifically social interaction, and said it's going to work to improve those features.

Facebook admitted on Thursday that using its social network can be bad for you in some instances.

Facebook's director of research David Ginsberg and research scientist Moira Burke published a post in which they addressed questions about the impact Facebook has on our moods, and revealed some compelling information.

"University of Michigan students randomly assigned to read Facebook for 10 minutes were in a worse mood at the end of the day than students assigned to post or talk to friends on Facebook," the blog post said.

"A study from UC San Diego and Yale found that people who clicked on about four times as many links as the average person, or who liked twice as many posts, reported worse mental health than average in a survey."
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/15/face...d-for-you.html

Thank gawd I can't remember my password from the two days I was on facebook a few years ago.
The platform does have a lot of influence though. I wonder how people here, (which is somewhat different then face book ) feel about it.

OmegaOm
I am not into Facebook myself but from what I can see.
Facebook has its pros. But it requires lots of attention and your time. You always have to keep up with everything or else you will be looked down on. So it forces you to always be in contact with it. Sort of like this forum but not as bad.

So I guess it is bad for you. IT wastes much of your limited time. But if thats how you want to spend it go right ahead.
Last edited by OmegaOm; Dec 16th, 2017 at 03:45 AM..

Johnnny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

"University of Michigan students randomly assigned to read Facebook for 10 minutes were in a worse mood at the end of the day than students assigned to post or talk to friends on Facebook," the blog post said.

They're in a worse mood because of the constant comparisons. Even if you don't consciously compare yourself to other people or don't care what other people think you still care sub consciously. Facebook amplifies this.

You older guys don't know quite the feeling because the majority of your generations are not on Facebook and if they are they don't use it as much as us millennials.

Being a millennial that doesn't have Facebook i'm like a unicorn in rarity.

I honestly enjoy talking to older people and i get along way better with older people than my own generation because you older folks can actually just "shoot the breeze". People my age when we have a conversation is 60% by volume about other people!!! Everything is a comparison and it stinks!!!

You start to feel like the guy in the red.

Facebook and other social media are only going to become stronger especially when virtual reality hits the internet and you can interact with people that way.
Last edited by Johnnny; Dec 16th, 2017 at 06:47 AM..

Danbones
Yeah, I got such a weird vibe from the whole thing I just quite right away.

Those are good points about the comparison.

In the bush the old folks are often teaching, so one has to be a bit humble in a way, which I guess is the opposite to being in the comparison mode.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Yeah, I got such a weird vibe from the whole thing I just quite right away.

Yeah it takes a certain intellect to be conversing with people “respectfully” and without “anonymity” I can see why you didn’t last.

DaSleeper
There is a tool for conversing with people, has been in use for over a hundred years..

"It's called a telephone"
Someone wants to contact me call me, but not for too long, I limit my conversations to 5- 10 minutes, my ears start to burn unless I'm using bluetooth.
I have the phone number of several people in the forum, but I don't call them except to text them a merry christmas on Christmas day.
You need my phone number? PM me

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Yeah it takes a certain intellect to be conversing with people “respectfully” and without “anonymity” I can see why you didn’t last.

Yeah I couldn't find any actual people to converse with

I only saw comparicidal nazinutz that face book has been bad for like you!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

There is a tool for conversing with people, has been in use for over a hundred years..

Someone wants to contact me call me, but not for too long, I limit my conversations to 5- 10 minutes, my ears start to burn unless I'm using bluetooth.
I have the phone number of several people in the forum, but I don't call them except to text them a merry christmas on Christmas day.

Waiting all day by the phone, eh?

DaSleeper
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Waiting all day by the phone, eh?

Naaah I hate phones too,but they are a useful tool....

Cliffy

Johnnny
+1

When you say "Someone wants to contact me call me" that is a another difference in mentality from a non Facebook user to Facebook users. A lot of the "friends" that people have on Facebook are just acquaintances and or people they work with that they really don't actually talk to anyways.

I'm the same way, if you want to get a hold of me just call me. Sure i'm out of the "loop" more than a Facebook user but i'm not worried about not getting a "like" on my profile from someone i barely talk to anyways.

My circle of friends may be nothing compared to a persons friends list but at the end of the day i now that my friends are actually people who want to be my friends.

And plus, why does douche bag larry from the hoist room need to know about my trip somewhere? If he wants to know about it he can ask because at the end of the day its not really his business.

Its like Facebook makes your business other peoples business. I dunno

DaSleeper
Years ago when I spent the summer on the festival circuit, a lot of places where festivals are held didn't have cell phone communication, so facebook came in handy so I didn't have to call everybody to let them know where I would be and a landline where I could be reached.
But after a while, better cellular communication made facebook obsolete for me....

Cliffy

taxslave
+1
I originally started with Facebook to keep up with what my grandkids and a few friends in different areas are up to when I am off working somewhere. Still do but lately there seems to be more garbage from various political groups using up bandwidth. Business groups are also using FB instead of emailing news letters so I suppose there are some advantages.

avro25

Years ago when I spent the summer on the festival circuit, a lot of places where festivals are held didn't have cell phone communication, so facebook came in handy so I didn't have to call everybody to let them know where I would be and a landline where I could be reached.
But after a while, better cellular communication made facebook obsolete for me....

Sure it did.

Still a place to get inspiration for your meme factory little fella.

55Mercury
Quote:

Its like Facebook makes your business other peoples business.

Bingo, and is one of the aspects I most dislike about the meddling corksoakers. I regularly post stuff like this in my status:

re: "Don, we care about you and your Facebook memories. We thought you'd like to look back on this post from 3 years ago"

dear (not!) facebook, let's be clear, none of my memories are facebook memories. get it? mine, not yours. you are just a tool, to be discarded once you've outlived your usefulness, and believe me, it's wearing awfully thin. Now kindly **** off with your "we care about you" garbage. you do not.

OpposingDigit
I thought that this program was pretty informative.

How Powerful is Facebook's Algorithm?
There is a place on the internet where almost two billion of us regularly go – many of us, every day. Facebook: the social network which Mark Zuckerberg started in his university dorm room and which has grown, in a little over a decade, into one of the most valuable companies in the world. But what does Facebook’s lines of computer code do with the data we give it – and what could it do in the future? Just how powerful is Facebook's algorithm? The answer will surprise you.
BBC - The Inquiry
Produced By Estelle Doyle and Sarah Shebbeare
December 13, 2017
(Flash Audio)
BBC World Service - The Inquiry, How Powerful is Facebook's Algorithm?

Cliffy