Walmart self check out

Hoid
I am pro Walmart self checkout. If I have two or three things I can get out of there way faster doing it myself. Same at Home Depot. I should get a discount for performing the work they otherwise have to pay someone to do. But I don't get a discount.

This is the basic problem with automation. When machines displace workers those workers get nothing and the consumer gets nothing the only people who profit are the companies.

Durry
It's good to see companies implement automation and make a profit.
We need to see more companies making a decent profit.

Sears didn't have self checkout or much automation, and they didn't make a profit, so now they have gone broke and they are now going to disappear from the landscape.

Now people will bitch because they have fewer choices to shop in.

Danbones
Just wait till the local mental health hospitals get them

Blackleaf
I was using the Morrisons self checkout on Thursday night. There's a sign saying "Five Items or Less." I had a bottle of Merrydown Cider, a bunch of bananas, a can of Whiskas for my cat and a packet of digestive biscuits.

Some numpty started having a go at me saying I had more than five items, even though I didn't - I had four.

What annoyed me even more was that he had a packet of rice.

Danbones
I see my warning came a bit late
sorry

Durry
How many bananas??? One or more???

Morrisons???? What that?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

How many bananas??? One or more???

Morrisons???? What that?

I think it was five bananas.

Morrisons is a supermarket chain. It was this one in Bolton town centre.

Durry
Five,,,,that explains it

Blackleaf

Five,,,,that explains it

One bunch counts as one item. Surely.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

I am pro Walmart self checkout. If I have two or three things I can get out of there way faster doing it myself. Same at Home Depot. I should get a discount for performing the work they otherwise have to pay someone to do. But I don't get a discount.

This is the basic problem with automation. When machines displace workers those workers get nothing and the consumer gets nothing the only people who profit are the companies.

It is saving you time. If that is no value to you you can always use the full service checkout.

Durry
Gotta read the fine print eh

lone wolf
Self-serve gas stations sell for the same price as the ones with a gas jockey - no savings and you have to get cold and wet

B00Mer

It's good to see companies implement automation and make a profit.
We need to see more companies making a decent profit.

Sears didn't have self checkout or much automation, and they didn't make a profit, so now they have gone broke and they are now going to disappear from the landscape.

Now people will bitch because they have fewer choices to shop in.

....and then they automat your job and you'll be here crying..

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Self-serve gas stations sell for the same price as the ones with a gas jockey - no savings and you have to get cold and wet

co-op has full serve, they only place to buy gas.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

co-op has full serve, they only place to buy gas.

Good place if you are a lazy lard ass !!

WLDB
They don’t actually eliminate jobs. A cashier is still there the whole time to monitor them and help if customers don’t know how to use them or have a problem. Plus they are still very easy to get by if you want to steal something so it’s just not feasible to fully automate that role. I used to work at Home Depot and they had self checkouts but they never stopped looking for cashiers. It was the one position in the place that was always open, same with the Wal Mart in my area. At some point the machines may become good enough to replace cashiers but they’re nowhere near ready right now.

So you want the pay of two minutes at minimum wage? In Ontario thatíd get you 38 cents.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

They donít actually eliminate jobs. A cashier is still there the whole time to monitor them and help if customers donít know how to use them or have a problem. Plus they are still very easy to get by if you want to steal something so itís just not feasible to fully automate that role. I used to work at Home Depot and they had self checkouts but they never stopped looking for cashiers. It was the one position in the place that was always open, same with the Wal Mart in my area. At some point the machines may become good enough to replace cashiers but theyíre nowhere near ready right now.

They would need to spend the money on security guards if they got rid of the cashiers.

I find it infinitely better than being stuck behind some shopper who is price matching coupons on every one of her 30 items (and half the time we wait while she finds the coupon on her phone).

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I find it infinitely better than being stuck behind some shopper who is price matching coupons on every one of her 30 items (and half the time we wait while she finds the coupon on her phone).

When I worked a cash those types of customers were pretty annoying. If the price match was a small enough amount Iíd just put it through rather than wait for proof.

B00Mer

Good place if you are a lazy lard ass !!

Is that why you always go there.. glad to know..

I buy my gas a Costco, it's always 5 cents cheaper

Cannuck
As automation eliminates jobs, Trumpites will blame the Chinese.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

They donít actually eliminate jobs. A cashier is still there the whole time to monitor them and help if customers donít know how to use them or have a problem.

Well yes, but the six cashiers are replaced by one supervising.

taxslave

Is that why you always go there.. glad to know..

I buy my gas a Costco, it's always 5 cents cheaper

Nice if there is a COSTCO nearby. Be even better if they had diesel.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Well yes, but the six cashiers are replaced by one supervising.

The six cashiers and three more went to the express lines what came in the same time as self checkout.

Tecumsehsbones

Feel free to use a cashier lane.

Stick it to Da Man, Hoid!

DaSleeper
+1
#24  Top Rated Post
I like to have real people to blame if a mistake is made......lol

And you never know who you will meet...
From a ten year old post......
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

This morning....five hundred miles away from home.....at the check-out counter at Walmart at Eglington near Warden in Toronto, the cashier asks me for my postal code and for once I tell the truth, (I usually give any number that pops in my mind)......

The young lady waiting in line behind me says to me....hey you're from "Kap"? (using the shortened name for my home town) Do you know the "L*******"?.....her parents, neighbours on the next street from mine.

Sure is a small world

Danbones
Wouldn't be Lalondes? eh?
lol

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The six cashiers and three more went to the express lines what came in the same time as self checkout.

In our local stores, the 'express lines' were there before the self checkout, so that didn't happen.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Wouldn't be Lalondes? eh?
lol

Which Lalonde do you know or did you pick a name out of a phone directory, because I know several Lalondes.....
Back door neighbour's daughter, married the son of a Lalonde I used to work with......

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Nice if there is a COSTCO nearby. Be even better if they had diesel.

Well okay then.. forgot you live in the back woods on the Island.. I have a Costco down the road in Balzac, Alberta.. easy and convenient.

tay
Well I guess it was bound to happen, a unique way to get rid of those pesky minimum wage cashiers....

Jim Hightower writes that the risk of technology displacing workers is ultimately just one instance of the wider problem of corporate greed

Tecumsehsbones

Well okay then.. forgot you live in the back woods on the Island.. I have a Costco down the road in Balzac, Alberta.. easy and convenient.

Heh-heh. . . he said "ballsack."