Tesla moves closer to mass-market electric car by 2017

mentalfloss
Tesla moves closer to mass-market electric car with Nevada gigafactory, Canadian supercharger stations

Tesla vehicles may still be niche toys for the wealthy, but the announcement of a massive new battery factory and the launch of a network of charging stations in eastern Canada moved Elon Musk’s company closer to its goal of producing mass-market electric vehicles by 2017.

As expected, Tesla said Thursday that it has chosen Nevada as the site for its “gigafactory,” a large-scale battery plant that aims to lower the cost of the lithium-ion batteries used in Tesla’s vehicles by more than 30%. Panasonic Corp. will partner with Tesla to manufacture the batteries and contribute about 35% of the initial costs, which are estimated to be US$4-billion to US$5-billion.

The plant is expected to employ about 6,500 people and will be located outside Reno.

The goal of Mr. Musk, Tesla’s visionary CEO, is for the factory to produce more batteries in 2020 than were produced worldwide in 2013. That would be enough to support about 500,000 Tesla vehicles a year including the new, cheaper Model 3 which is expected to hit the market in 2017. That compares to the approximately 22,500 vehicles Tesla sold in 2013 — a 21-fold increase.

Tesla moves closer to mass-market electric car with Nevada gigafactory, Canadian supercharger stations | Financial Post

petros
+1
If you're smart, and can't afford the car, invest in lithium ventures and wait until you're a grown up and buy the car for pennies on the dollar when your ventures go to main markets.

That is how you become wealthy to get toys like a Tesla.

taxslave
I'd like one before I retire.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Buy an aluminum F-150 with a coyote and go where ever the hell you want when you want with what you need. Fast.

Blackleaf
Where would you plug it in?

Silly electric cars. What's wrong with the ones we have now?

This is actually another case in which the Top Gear guys have "offended" someone (it doesn't take much for someone to be "offended" by Clarkson, May and Hammond):

Elon Musk on 'electric car-hating' Jeremy Clarkson

24 October 2013

Earlier this year the court of appeal dismissed a case brought by Tesla cars against the BBC's Top Gear show in which the car manufacturer asserted that the programme had faked a scene which appeared to show a Tesla Roadster running out of power.

The California-based car maker claimed that the episode in 2008 had caused sales of the electric sports car to drop. However, the court of appeal rejected the claim that the report on the often provocative programme had damaged the company's reputation.

BBC Newsnight's Gavin Esler went to talk to Mr Musk, the founder of Tesla, SpaceX and PayPal, whose latest proposal is a near-supersonic Hyperloop transport link between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Here Esler asks him about his feelings towards Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson now.

BBC News - Elon Musk on 'electric car-hating' Jeremy Clarkson

gopher
+1
electric cars - an old idea whose time has come back:

History of Electric Vehicles - Early Years

Blackleaf
+1
Top Gear Electric Cars - YouTube

CDNBear
+1
"This is the future of motoring" lol!

gopher
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Top Gear Electric Cars - YouTube

He should have gotten one of these:

IdRatherBeSkiing
So where exactly do you charge these vehicles?

#juan
Tesla vehicles are still be niche toys for the wealthy and that is what they will be until they make a car for the mass market. A thirty five thousand dollar economy car is not where it's at. It will be decades until there are enough charging stations. It is fine to call the car green but I don't think the charging stations are necessarily green..

CDNBear
But hey, the provincial Liberals will give the rich that can afford $140,000 Tesla's a tax credit for buying one, lolz.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Tesla vehicles are still be niche toys for the wealthy and that is what they will be until they make a car for the mass market. A thirty five thousand dollar economy car is not where it's at. It will be decades until there are enough charging stations. It is fine to call the car green but I don't think the charging stations are necessarily green..

I think that just because a car does not burn fossil fuels does not make it green. My understanding is the batteries made take more energy to make than the fossil fuels they save.

lone wolf
They probably take just as much energy to recycle them too

gopher
+2
#15  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

So where exactly do you charge these vehicles?

Evidently, some of those old days can still hold a charge for 40 miles:

115-year-old electric car gets same 40 miles to the charge as Chevy Volt | The Daily Caller

Well, you can get at least enough mileage to get your groceries and pick up the kids at school.

spaminator
Tesla fires hundreds after performance reviews
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 02:00 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, October 14, 2017 02:04 PM EDT
SAN FRANCISCO — Tesla Motors fired hundreds of workers after completing its annual performance reviews, even though the electric automaker is trying to ramp up production to meet the demand for its new Model 3 sedan.
The Palo Alto, California-based company confirmed the cuts in a Saturday statement, but didn’t disclose how many of its 33,000 workers were jettisoned. The San Jose Mercury News interviewed multiple former and current Tesla employees who estimated 400 to 700 workers lost their jobs.
The housecleaning swept out workers in administrative and sales jobs, in addition to Tesla’s manufacturing operations.
An unspecified number of workers received bonuses and promotions following their reviews, according to the company.
Tesla is under pressure to deliver its Model 3 sedan to a waiting list of more than 450,000 customers. The company so far has been lagging its own production targets after making just 260 of the vehicles in its last quarter.
Including other models, Tesla expects to make about 100,000 cars this year. CEO Elon Musk is aiming to increase production by five-fold next year, a goal that probably will have to be met to support Tesla’s market value of $59 billion — more than Ford Motor Co.
Unlike Ford, Tesla still hasn’t posted an annual profit yet.
Despite the mass firings, Tesla is still looking to hire hundreds more workers.
Tesla fires hundreds after performance reviews | World | News | Toronto Sun

IdRatherBeSkiing
Sounds like the company is on firm ground. Wonder if it will require a government bailout?

Curious Cdn
+1
Tesla Motors fired hundreds of workers after completing its annual performance reviews

Bombardier needs to hire their hatchet men for their rail car division up in Thunder bay that is now years behind in the delivery of street cars to Toronto.

mentalfloss

Sounds like the company is on firm ground. Wonder if it will require a government bailout?

No, it's not TransCanada.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Tesla Motors fired hundreds of workers after completing its annual performance reviews oronto.

Tesla fired the people who weren't willing to work 80 hours a week for 40 hours pay, because they've been lying about targets and their ability to meet them for years.

taxslave
+1
SO it looks like the OPP is about as accurate as the one predicting an ice free Arctic ocean by 2013.
Best I can tell Tesla is so far behind they should just cancel 2017 orders and concentrate on 2019.

Angstrom
+1

SO it looks like the OPP is about as accurate as the one predicting an ice free Arctic ocean by 2013.
Best I can tell Tesla is so far behind they should just cancel 2017 orders and concentrate on 2019.

By the time they can mass produce these Cars everyone will be unemployed, replaced by AI.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

No, it's not TransCanada.

You meant to say Bombardier

Bar Sinister

I think that just because a car does not burn fossil fuels does not make it green. My understanding is the batteries made take more energy to make than the fossil fuels they save.

I suspect you are right, but so does a liter of gasoline. And clean energy can be used to supply electricity to electric cars - it doesn't have to come from coal and oil.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

You meant to say Bombardier

You meant to say Boeing.

Danbones
When the aliens bring the famous cross Canada battery to earth in a flaming pie

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

By the time they can mass produce these Cars everyone will be unemployed, replaced by AI.

Part of Ford's genius was paying his workers enough to buy his product.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I suspect you are right, but so does a liter of gasoline. And clean energy can be used to supply electricity to electric cars - it doesn't have to come from coal and oil.

Electric cars do have a larger footprint than gas but when they are powered by clean energy sources their total emissions are far far lower than even the best gas engines.

The dirtier than gas myth is based on electric cars using coal burning power - which is true - and is an reason not to build or use coal not a reason not to use electric cars.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

You meant to say Boeing.

Nope... Bombardier

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The dirtier than gas myth is based on electric cars using coal burning power - which is true - and is an reason not to build or use coal not a reason not to use electric cars.

Got a link?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Part of Ford's genius was paying his workers enough to buy his product.

Electric cars do have a larger footprint than gas but when they are powered by clean energy sources their total emissions are far far lower than even the best gas engines.

Wait... Wha..

Are you.. Is there another a rational poster on CC?

MHz

What do you drive now and what was your favorite ride. Batteries can be made quicker than cars and a lot of cars would just have to be abandoned.
Retro fit the current vehicles to have an internal combustion engine that is exhaust pollution free. The device has been fine tuned for the most part and the real bottleneck has been getting enough amps in DC form to some stainless steel plates. The gas that is produced will run a gas style engine from a lawn mower to a high performance car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avt4pTvnt-E
MPG (mileage) Test 2790 miles with Dry Cell HHO F350 Superduty 7.3 Diesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH07uY-Fd3Y
HHO 16 plate Hydrogen Dry Cell on 2001 VW Jetta 1.8t final design