Should a person be legally required to register a prepaid smart device?

View Poll Results: Should a person be legally required to register a prepaid smart device?
Yes. 1 11.11%
No. 7 77.78%
Other answer. 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

In this case it could probably save money on at least two fronts:

1. It could make it at least somewhat easier for police officers to trace a crime to its perpetrator, at least in some cases.

2. It could discourage at least some people from committing certain crimes and so reduce the workload on the police.

Let me guess, you are also going propose to forgo the need for warrants or due process?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Let me guess, you are also going propose to forgo the need for warrants or due process?

When did I ever propose that? Even I would not want police officers to be able to intrude on my privacy without a warrant. With that, we could require the police to obtain a warrant even just to access the database identifying me as the registered owner of the smartphone. But such a database would exist at least for smartphones.

But this way, once the police do get a warrant, they could do their work at least somewhat more efficiently.

Also, everyone's sarcasm aside, my proposal is actually more moderate than what is already in the law books in Germany and other EU states and what a few bipartisan bills introduced in the US senate have proposed.

MHz
I suspect the smart devices 'phone home' with or without that consent being given. Many will do it as it is tied int warranty issues, for smart devices like cars.

One question, if all the instant tellers can be shut down from one location is there a similar place for all smart devices that can just be told to shut down.

gerryh

Also, everyone's sarcasm aside, my proposal is actually more moderate than what is already in the law books in Germany and other EU states and what a few bipartisan bills introduced in the US senate have proposed.

And you figure that should make it ok, and we should all be more than happy with the potential government and police intrusion into our personal lives.

MHz
The issue isn't the collection of data it is more about who has access to it. Relatives should be able to follow their 'kin' as close as the system allows, friends should be able to verify that their 'new friend' is not a killer even if he is on Craig's List. Tracking high profile people is where the opposition would come from and to hide that they make it appear that welfare people are the ones who don't want to be tracked. That alone shows the 'owners' are the ones that need to be watched, very closely.
The FED, JFK and a host of other criminal event would have never taken place if they had been watched a bit closer. his current effort is about burying stuff rather than exposing it. It is in place already but just not acknowledged and if it isn't it never will be and it's all a bluff and they don't even have the ability to track the ones on their side let alone the opposition that would take some steps to prevent that.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

So, since a small minority of the populace uses smart devices for illegal purposes, you want to punish everyone. Well aren't you a special fu cking dic khead. Anything else you want to see "registered" so the government can keep even closer tabs on us?

How about computers, laptops, tablets. You can get online using smart tv's, and game consoles. Want them registered also?

Starting to sound a lot like the gun registry isn't it?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Starting to sound a lot like the gun registry isn't it?

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ex-trafficking

Some things need to be registered.

And as I said before, what I proposed in the OP is even far more moderate than what already exists in many other democratic jurisdictions worldwide. We should not fanatically interpret the right to privacy as being absolute.

It has to be balanced with public safety too.

From the article:

'Though it makes sense that traffickers would use prepaid phones to do their business, Latonero says they use them in a slightly different way than drug dealers. Traffickers can use cell phones to set up meetings with clients, but they can also use a smart phone's GPS signal to make sure the people they're exploiting don't try to run away.

'"They can keep tabs on those they're exploiting with the various apps that tell them where their [workers] are," Latonero says. "There's a control element to it."'
Last edited by White_Unifier; Sep 3rd, 2017 at 03:57 PM..

taxslave
[QUOTE=White_Unifier;2501133]https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ex-trafficking

Yep. There's ummm and aaahhhhhhhh and ......... Nope can't think of a single thing that needs to be registered. Might be a few that we want to be registered but that is not the same thing.

White_Unifier
[QUOTE=taxslave;2501138]

Yep. There's ummm and aaahhhhhhhh and ......... Nope can't think of a single thing that needs to be registered. Might be a few that we want to be registered but that is not the same thing.

So when we know that human traffickers use smartphones to access the internet to find clients or recruit sex workers, that drug dealers and other criminals and terrorists use them too, and most democratic states around the world already have much stricter laws than those that I have proposed, there is still no need to register such devices at all?

JLM
[QUOTE=taxslave;2501138]

There's a couple.........................kids and pedophiles!

White_Unifier
[QUOTE=JLM;2501156]

There's a couple.........................kids and pedophiles!

Do you mean all pedophiles or only those who've acted on it? If you mean all, then:

1. What non-offending pedophile would voluntarily register himself and ruin his life by doing so? And why should he if he's not yet offended?

2. Offending pedophiles are already registered.

As for registering offending ones, that's like closing the barn door after the horse is out. Registering a smart phone could serve as at least somewhat of a deterrent at least in some cases.

MHz
+1

How about births and deaths? Marriages and divorces??

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

How about births and deaths? Marriages and divorces??

Cars and licenses and passports?

There's a reason most states (including democratic ones) have already passed laws requiring far stricter rules than what even I've proposed in the OP. Let's just think of sex offenders who might try to groom victims online.

MHz
Driving is part of 'free passage' so no fees and you pack your own insurance as does every other person as part of a standard life insurance policy.

Cars and licenses and passports?

There's a reason most states (including democratic ones) have already passed laws requiring far stricter rules than what even I've proposed in the OP. Let's just think of sex offenders who might try to groom victims online.

How about we give them something else to do so they don't have time to think about sex. Cleaning out crack houses or bathrooms in a brothel are two that spring to mind.

I would bet that more than half of the predators online are cops trying to sting somebody.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Or is Gerry just giving you a touch of your own medicine?

Time to improve your reading skills. He wasn't commenting on any of my posts.