Facebook Surpasses 2 Billion Users

Hoof Hearted
The Beatles- "All the lonely people, where do they all come from?"

I don't do Facebook. It's the one place you get to meet everyone you've purposely ignored your whole life...all on one page.

I only have a small circle of friends in real life. I choose it to be that way. I suppose I could have hundreds of friends on Social Media, but this doesn't interest me.

I'll take my 3 or 4 close friends who know me inside out, over scores of people who will never understand my Gilligan's Island, Happy Days or Three's Company references.

JLM
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

The Beatles- "All the lonely people, where do they all come from?"

I don't do Facebook. It's the one place you get to meet everyone you've purposely ignored your whole life...all on one page.

I only have a small circle of friends in real life. I choose it to be that way. I suppose I could have hundreds of friends on Social Media, but this doesn't interest me.

I'll take my 3 or 4 close friends who know me inside out, over scores of people who will never understand my Gilligan's Island, Happy Days or Three's Company references.

Ironically that is all anyone has - so many people mistake acquaintances for friends!

Hoof Hearted
I recently had a coffee with a girl I dated over 30 years ago. She had over 450 friends on Facebook. I wasn't even on FB. Gee...no wonder our relationship didn't work out.

All of the reasons we broke up came rushing back to me. She was sharp in her tone, quick to criticize, overly competitive, and monopolized our whole conversation. The only upside of our meeting was that I left with a deeper appreciation for my wife.

I have no clue as to how she could have so many Social Media friends...unless most people really are that shallow on-line.

gerryh

I recently had a coffee with a girl I dated over 30 years ago. She had over 450 friends on Facebook. I wasn't even on FB. Gee...no wonder our relationship didn't work out.

All of the reasons we broke up came rushing back to me. She was sharp in her tone, quick to criticize, overly competitive, and monopolized our whole conversation. The only upside of our meeting was that I left with a deeper appreciation for my wife.

I have no clue as to how she could have so many Social Media friends...unless most people really are that shallow on-line.

I have 3 questions about this.

1. What was the reason you had coffee with her?

2. Did your wife know you had coffee with her?

3. Why did you need a "deeper appreciation" of your wife?

Hoof Hearted
gerryh,

1) The woman I met for coffee...her mother died. I knew her Mom well back in the day. She was always good to me. My ex contacted me through Social Media and wanted to go for a coffee. I felt sorry for her because of her Mom's passing, so I went.

2) My wife knew I was meeting her.

3) My ex was abrasive. My wife has never been this way to me, and I simply appreciated her more after meeting my old flame.

JLM
+1

There's nothing wrong with having lots of Facebook 'friends' as long as you recognize them for they are. People are enriched by other people & even if you can't be educated by them you might be entertained by them. Actually I've always believed from everybody you can learn something!

Hoof Hearted
+1
I think having scores of Facebook friends, tells me you are trying to fill a void. That you never got enough attention growing up and you're seeking admiration wherever you can get it.

Or perhaps I'm just a grumpy old guy now who hasn't gotten with the times yet.

JLM
+1

I think having scores of Facebook friends, tells me you are trying to fill a void. That you never got enough attention growing up and you're seeking admiration wherever you can get it.

Actually nearly all of my Face book friends are people who I knew before Facebook and many of them are family members.

"She was sharp in her tone, quick to criticize, overly competitive, and monopolized our whole conversation"- Like a few I've encountered on here!

B00Mer
+1
Did they exclude those who have 2 or 3 accounts??

Jinentonix
+1

Sometimes all those friends can simply be a matter of the games on FB. There are a crap-load of games on there that can be pretty much impossible to play without "neighbours". So, if you like the game(s) and want to add neighbours, you end up with all these extraneous "friends" on FB.
Hell, at one point I had over 500 on my list and yet I only actually knew 5 of them, and 3 of them are family

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Sometimes all those friends can simply be a matter of the games on FB. There are a crap-load of games on there that can be pretty much impossible to play without "neighbours". So, if you like the game(s) and want to add neighbours, you end up with all these extraneous "friends" on FB.
Hell, at one point I had over 500 on my list and yet I only actually knew 5 of them, and 3 of them are family

One other point, it's not generally harmful to socialize with people who aren't your friends.....................a friend quite often being someone who will take the rap for you and spend time in jail!

Bar Sinister
+1
I was prompted to join Facebook by a relative. I generally ignore it completely now and haven't actually visited it for about a year now.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I was prompted to join Facebook by a relative. I generally ignore it completely now and haven't actually visited it for about a year now.

It has its good and bad features, it's good at spreading knowledge and bad at accumulating clutter in cyber space.

bobnoorduyn
+1
I just can't imagine 2B folks with nothing better to do, even my youngest got off it when real life, and kids came along. My oldest only keeps in touch on it with her cousins and real friends.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

One other point, it's not generally harmful to socialize with people who aren't your friends.....................a friend quite often being someone who will take the rap for you and spend time in jail!

Or as my late brother in law used to say, "a friend will help you move, a real friend will help you move....a body"

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

I just can't imagine 2B folks with nothing better to do, even my youngest got off it when real life, and kids came along. My oldest only keeps in touch on it with her cousins and real friends.

It can reach the point of being a sickness. Nothing wring with it for a couple of messages a day, but it certainly shouldn't be consuming hours of your life!

petros
+1
2 billion users and 20 Trillion cat pictures posted.

Tecumsehsbones

I feel the same way about telephones. Just means you're too lazy and uncaring to walk five miles to your friend's house to talk to her.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I feel the same way about telephones. Just means you're too lazy and uncaring to walk five miles to your friend's house to talk to her.

Phones are another god damn sickness!

White_Unifier

Ironically that is all anyone has - so many people mistake acquaintances for friends!

I have a fairly large number of friends, but only a handful of close friends. The rest are acquaintances. I have a Facebook account but seldom visit it because it's populated mostly by acquaintances and strangers. I'm sure most of them are probably good people, but I don't really know them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

All of your friends live within a five-mile radius from you? I envy you. My friends span continents, and even my close friends span provinces.

It can reach the point of being a sickness. Nothing wring with it for a couple of messages a day, but it certainly shouldn't be consuming hours of your life!

I agree. Facebook and internet forums can be addictive... Er... yeah... never mind.

Interesting definition of friend. I'd turn my own family in if it was the right thing to do, yet I'd still love them. I see no contradiction in that since I'd turn them in because I love them, knowing what would be good for them.

I agree making new friends is always good, but Facebook can be addictive. That's why I stay away from it. I have an account, but seldom visit it.

Actually nearly all of my Face book friends are people who I knew before Facebook and many of them are family members.

"She was sharp in her tone, quick to criticize, overly competitive, and monopolized our whole conversation"- Like a few I've encountered on here!

All of my Facebook friends are family members, but Facebook always throw out this or that recommended friend and shows everything about anyone with a mutual friend, etc. etc. etc. I ignore that. If I didn't, I'd probably have thousands of friends on Facebook. Right now, I have a dozen or so, all family or extended family.

That said, I have plenty of friends who are not my Facebook friends.