How to Win the Winter Olympics

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Well I feel that if the Canada Hockey Teams play a professional game to the best of their ability it will be a successful Olympics.

I don't think that excuse will fare well with the rest of the country, "it's ok spoiled millionaires, you tried, that's all that counts"

mt_pockets1000
Apparently you can also win if you cheer so loud it throws off the opposing team.

Canadian curling fans leave Danish player in tears - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

As long as we can add in population density...... Actually Canada wins about as many medals as we can reasonably expect. We already have more hockey rinks than any other country in the world and we have more kids playing hockey than any country but the smaller population base will catch up to us eventually. It stands to reason that a country with a larger population base will produce more superlative athletes than countries with a smaller population.

Then China should be kicking everyone's butt. India should be up there as well.

Countries should just be proud of their athletes win or lose when it comes to the Olympics. It is great winning medals and lots of them but at least in the Olympics it should be about sportsmanship and unity for at least 2 weeks every 2 years.

Leave the silly stuff for the Pro sports in my opinion.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Apparently you can also win if you cheer so loud it throws off the opposing team.

Canadian curling fans leave Danish player in tears - Fourth-Place Medal - 2010 Olympics Blog - Yahoo! Sports

That was immensely rude. So much for our stereotype of being too nice.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

That was immensely rude. So much for our stereotype of being too nice.

I am not trying to stir the pot here but there a articles popping up about this stuff going on up there.

I am not sure if this was the attention or recognition Canada was looking for.

mt_pockets1000
Rude is right LW. That's why we don't do well at this patriotism thing. We just don't know how to handle it. Spontaneous singing of O Canada in the streets of Vancouver is one thing but disrupting the genteel game of curling is going beyond the boundaries of good taste.

Blame it on Harper. He's the one who called for more patriotism at the games. He's created a monster!

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Right... how could we forget the USSR Hockey team!

They used to punish NHL teams.

Actually if you read the history of Canada vs USSR competition from 1972 on Canadian NHL players more than held their own. Here are the results from what came to be called the Canada Cup. World Cup of Hockey (Canada Cup)

As you can see Canada won six out of eight tournaments with the USSR winning only once.

Interestingly, it was probably these professional level competitions that forced the IOC to revise its attitudes regarding professionals in the Olympics simply because they completely discredited the so called gold medal victories of the Russians in the Winter Games.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by faeulrich View Post

bloody hell, you do not need brains to be an athlete....
so the post about some jocks exam really is.... moot. as is the post about canada's populations VS the US! It is common knowledge they house the world's greatest athletes. I think after the olympics, canada's so called unity will go back to the norm of passiveness... and don't really care attitude... partriotism is not prevalent in your country as I can see. And if they were singing a athem during a game, that is just bad manners, tasteless and rude! I have to admit,,, I knew the US would win the hockey game....

Good luck to the Yanks in the next one. They are probably going to need all they can get.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

The first one who needs to be benched is Brodeur. His stick handling cost them two goals last night.

Apparently Brodeur was seen boarding a plane this morning. He`s done. Luongo is starting tomorrow night. We`ll win! Brodeur wasn`t in the game. Luongo would have stopped those goals.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

C'mon you guys....

There is usually only one winner in a sporting event whether individual or team - one winner.... it doesn't mean they are less than anyone else - it means someone
else got lucky - because sports along with rigorous training and knowledge and a
great bunch of sacrifice - demands perfection in all - and all members are perfect
but still there can only be one winner at that moment in time.

It isn't a brand which one carries forever - unless it is the idiot media who have nothing uplifting to chat about except stats from previous wins and losses.... and
thankfully they don't determine perfection.

I'd venture a statement which I believe to be true: All the athletes who were privileged and trained to perform at the Olympics are winners - and will be a winner for the rest of their lives. It is the essense of The Olympic Athlete

There is only one winner but - Vancouver outplayed your country last night even though we lost. Brodeur lost the game for Canada. We may have a tough climb back and maybe we won`t make it. We would have had the win were it not for bad goal tending in the game between our two countries. You were out played and had a lucky night. That said - your team is still very good.
I was very happy that we took Gold in the couples figure skating tonight. Your country took Silver so it`s North Americans all the way.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Didn't Canada fund these events through the "Own the Podium" program?

the athletes were funded through the program for training
and preparation.

Mowich
Just ask Tessa and Scott how to win at the Olympics - they have what it takes - in spades. GO, CANADA, GO!

countryboy
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Just ask Tessa and Scott how to win at the Olympics - they have what it takes - in spades. GO, CANADA, GO!

Do you mean our GOLD MEDAL WINNING figure skaters? I was blown away by them, and I rarely watch figure skating. They didn't even have to resort to outrageous costumes...just sheer talent, skill, and determination. A big congrats to them!

(I saw them perform on a rerun after watching curling which, by the way, should earn us another medal or two)

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

Do you mean our GOLD MEDAL WINNING figure skaters? I was blown away by them, and I rarely watch figure skating. They didn't even have to resort to outrageous costumes...just sheer talent, skill, and determination. A big congrats to them!

(I saw them perform on a rerun after watching curling which, by the way, should earn us another medal or two)

In spite of my resolution to not watch anything but hockey and curling, I simply couldn't miss Tessa and Scott. I had a good feeling about them after they won Skate Canada. What a wonderful skate. They both shone - on the ice and on the podium.

mt_pockets1000
Don't like how Canada is doing in Vancouver? Then get off the couch and show us how it's done 4 years from now.

Canada is doing just fine at these Olympics. Every one of our athletes is a winner.

"Own The Podium" was not a well thought out approach, probably coined by some backbench politician with his hands on the purse strings of Olympic funding.

Congratulations to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir for their gold medal performance in the ice dance competition.

darkbeaver
If you can't "Own the Podium" you'll "Own the Odium". Too bad, now we'll see what the coddled brats are really made of. More funding! Not bloody likely. We could have had far more fun for far less money by having a giant national winter beer and cannabis fest. We could call it Hurrying Spring.

JLM
" Every one of our athletes is a winner."

The only "losers" are those who think they are and think other people are.

darkbeaver
They are not winners they are state dependents who get paid to play outside in the winter. Every Canadian tax payer has been ripped off. The most popular winter sport in Canada is driveway and walk snow shoveling. Where are the events? Where are the champions? Why are these real sportspeople ignored? Where are their freebees and their medals? When I was in my prime I would move millions of cubic feet every winter and never got the recognition I deserve, I want my medals and I want them now.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

They are not winners they are state dependents who get paid to play outside in the winter. Every Canadian tax payer has been ripped off. The most popular winter sport in Canada is driveway and walk snow shoveling. Where are the events? Where are the champions? Why are these real sportspeople ignored? Where are their freebees and their medals? When I was in my prime I would move millions of cubic feet every winter and never got the recognition I deserve, I want my medals and I want them now.

I suppose there has to be one sh*t disturber at every party. I've shovelled my share too.

Risus

" Every one of our athletes is a winner."

The only "losers" are those who think they are and think other people are.

Gotta agree with you on that.

darkbeaver
PATEE, that's what I'm sayin, everybody, win or lose would be happily inebriated and totally unconcerned with the scores, like they should be, and we would get a lot of snow moved arround.

VanIsle

Tough Bananas!!!

VanIsle

PATEE, that's what I'm sayin, everybody, win or lose would be happily inebriated and totally unconcerned with the scores, like they should be, and we would get a lot of snow moved arround.

You come to my town and try to show me (and Juan) how much snow you can move around. You would have a difficult time finding one flake. I understand that many current and past Canucks met at a downtown Vancouver Sushi restaurant and had an especially good time last night. Hope they are all alright for today's game.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Tough Bananas!!!

Exactly- one thing you can always depend on with whiners, they deliberately involve themselves in something they don't like.

VanIsle

I suppose there has to be one sh*t disturber at every party. I've shovelled my share too.

I think DB is having fun this morning. You know how the old sayings go JLM. Age before beauty and sh$t before the shovel!

talloola

buy a box of cereal, some prizes may be there.
lol

mt_pockets1000
If we're gonna make snow shoveling an Olympic sport, here's one suggestion. You sit on the spade with the handle pointing away from the body and plunge down the luge track at breakneck speed. Weld two shovels together for the two man race. The warmup could include a bit of snow clearing at the start gate before you begin your race. Oh, and to make it a polite sport (like curling) we should call for complete silence before you push off on your road to victory.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

You come to my town and try to show me (and Juan) how much snow you can move around. You would have a difficult time finding one flake. I understand that many current and past Canucks met at a downtown Vancouver Sushi restaurant and had an especially good time last night. Hope they are all alright for today's game.

Absolutely right VanIsle. Our solution to the snow shoveling problem was to just to not have anymore snow. It has worked wonderfully. It was high time global warming done somebody some good...

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Absolutely right VanIsle. Our solution to the snow shoveling problem was to just to not have anymore snow. It has worked wonderfully. It was high time global warming done somebody some good...

Yes, yes hear it for global warming, if it's going to bring
us this kind of winter.
We can figure out how to help the northern animals who
need ice bergs, we'll make artificial ones for them to
find their way, if there is a will there is a way.