Oscar nominated The King's Speech gets royal seal of approval

Blackleaf
The hugely successful new British film The King's Speech has got a royal seal of approval.

The Queen gave the film her blessing after she watched it in a private screening.

The film, which is a true story, portrays her father King George VI's battle against his acute stutter. The movie has Colin Firth playing the king and Geoffrey Rush playing his Australian speech therapist Lionel Logue, who tries to help the monarch in the run up to his coronation in 1936.

The movie could have been released 30 years ago, but the Queen Mother, who was married to George VI, asked the movie's screenwriter to not have the movie made until after her death in case she found some scenes upsetting. She died in March 2002.

The King's Speech won the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival People's Choice Award and has been nominated for twelve Oscars, fourteen BAFTAs and was nominated for seven Golden Globes.

George VI was king from 1936 until 1952, and helped to guide the country through the dark days of World War II. He was the successor to his brother, Edward VIII. He suffered from severe shyness, which was not helped by his stuttering, which caused him huge embarrassment.

During his reign he developed an interest in working conditions, and was President of the Industrial Welfare Society. In fact, he was already known as the Industrial Prince before he came to the Throne due to the fact that, during the reign of his father George V, he toured coal mines, factories and railyards. His series of annual summer camps for boys between 1921 and 1939 brought together boys from different social backgrounds.

He was king during World War II and famously decided to stay put in London rather than flee to the much safer Canada despite the fact that the city was bombed almost every night by the Luftwaffe during the Blitz. The first German raid on London, on 7 September 1940, killed about one thousand civilians, mostly in the East End. On 13 September, the King and Queen narrowly avoided death when two Lufwaffe bombs exploded in a courtyard at Buckingham Palace whilst they were there. In defiance, however, the Queen famously declared: "I am glad we have been bombed. We can now look the East End in the face".

The King and Queen were subject to rationing restrictions like everyone else, and U.S. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt remarked on the rationed food served and the limited bathwater that was permitted during a stay at the bomb-damaged, unheated and boarded-up Buckingham Palace. In August 1942, the King's brother (and the current queen's uncle), Prince George, Duke of Kent, was killed on active service.

Upon his death on 6th February 1952, his daughter became Queen Elizabeth II and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, became the Queen Mother.

Oscar nominated The King's Speech gets royal seal of approval

The Queen is said to have given her blessing to the Oscar-nominated film The King's Speech after watching it in a private screening.

Colin Firth as King George VI in new British film The King's Speech

05 Feb 2011
The Telegraph

The movie portrays her father King George VI's battle against his speech impediment and also features a young Princess Elizabeth.

The Queen was given a private screening of the film in Sandringham and sources have said she found the portrayal "moving".

Actor Colin Firth stars in the lead role, which depicts King George VI's attempts to overcome his acute stutter in the lead up to his coronation in 1936.

Elizabeth II has given her blessing to the movie which portrays her father George VI's battle against his speech impediment

Screenwriter David Seidler, who was asked by the Queen Mother to delay writing the script, said approval from the Queen was the ultimate honour.

"When her mother asked me 30 years ago to wait, because the memory of these events were still too painful, I understood the intense feelings that were involved," he said.

"And now that the film has been written and made with love, and respect, and admiration, the fact that Her Majesty has recognised this is incredibly and wonderfully gratifying."

Mr Seidler could win an Oscar and a Bafta for his screenplay as the film leads the nominations for both awards.

telegraph.co.uk
Last edited by Blackleaf; Feb 6th, 2011 at 01:27 PM..

TenPenny
I wondered what she would think of it, from everything I've read about him, I would think that the portrayal of Bertie is fairly accurate. It does really show how he, and then Elizabeth, were able to make the throne into a position that almost represents the common people, yet gives them something to idolize.

I wonder if the next generation or two will be able to understand, and continue, that interesting blend.