If Selling of Carcinogen items is Illegal, why are Cigarettes the only exception??

Chiliagon
that's right!..

if it is illegal to see Carcinogen products that cause cancer to people, how come Cigarettes are legal?

They have proven that they cause Cancer! they have Carcinogen products in them!

for all, the definition of Carcinogen is:

Carcinogen

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The hazard symbol for carcinogenic chemicals in the Globally Harmonized System.

A carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide or radiation, that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. This may be due to the ability to damage the genome or to the disruption of cellular metabolic processes. Several radioactive substances are considered carcinogens, but their carcinogenic activity is attributed to the radiation, for example gamma rays and alpha particles, which they emit. Common examples of carcinogens are inhaled asbestos, certain dioxins, and tobacco smoke. Cancer is a disease in which damaged cells do not undergo programmed cell death. Carcinogens may increase the risk of cancer by altering cellular metabolism or damaging DNA directly in cells, which interferes with biological processes, and induces the uncontrolled, malignant division, ultimately leading to the formation of tumors. Usually DNA damage, if too severe to repair, leads to programmed cell death, but if the programmed cell death pathway is damaged, then the cell cannot prevent itself from becoming a cancer cell.

So how come Cigarettes are legal then?

why are they the only exception to the Law?

Chev
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
...Cause the governments make major money from taxes on cigarettes...

CDNBear
+1
It's not the only item.

On many products, there are labels that state...

"This product contains material, know to the State of California, to be carcinogenic."

Then of course you have Canada's lucrative asbestos industry.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiliagon View Post

that's right!..

if it is illegal to see Carcinogen products that cause cancer to people, how come Cigarettes are legal?

That's a big 'if'.

Can you back up claims that selling all carcinogenic products (other than cigarettes, as in your example) is illegal?

CDNBear
I got a list of household products that says it's legal...

http://www.preventcancer.com/press/pdfs/hazardous.pdf

lone wolf
Do cigarettes cause cancer - or is it something in the smoke that may aggravate it in some people?

karrie
+1
Cigarettes are not the only carcinogenic on the market. Alcohol is carcinogenic. Many of our food preservatives and additives are carcinogenic. Cosmetics ingredients. Clothing treatments and dyes. Household cleaners. Automobiles. Need I continue? Cigarettes are but a minor piece of the puzzle, not really worthy of the mass hysteria many people grant them.

Avro
BBQ'd food has small amounts of carcinogen....gonna ban that too?

Sparrow
+1
Something that should be looked into is toothpaste. There are 3 carcinogens in it, one of them is saccharin which has been banned. Also in gum, it contains aspartame, have you ever read up on it SCARY.

Will get back to you with article referring to toothpaste.

Sparrow
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Something that should be looked into is toothpaste. There are 3 carcinogens in it, one of them is saccharin which has been banned. Also in gum, it contains aspartame, have you ever read up on it SCARY.

Will get back to you with article referring to toothpaste.

Maybe this should be another thread?????
I am back with the site: The"Dirty Dozen" Consumer Products
Toothpaste is the 4th article. Another scary one is talcum powder and just think with use it on babies.

karrie

I am back with the site: The"Dirty Dozen" Consumer Products
Toothpaste is the 4th article. Another scary one is talcum powder and just think with use it on babies.

I don't know a single woman who's used talc on our generation of babies... most use corn starch.

Sparrow
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I don't know a single woman who's used talc on our generation of babies... most use corn starch.

Well I am glad for that.

TenPenny

Something that should be looked into is toothpaste. There are 3 carcinogens in it, one of them is saccharin which has been banned. .

Saccharin has been banned?

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

BBQ'd food has small amounts of carcinogen....gonna ban that too?

Hope not. I don't want to BBQ in my basement. I BBQ all year. As long as it's above -5C I'm good to go.

Hey don't forget 'febreeze', got the carcinogen too.

BTW, just to trolly, cars cause death, ban 'em!.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Plus it tastes like crap.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Saccharin was banned 30+ years ago.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Cigarettes are not the only carcinogenic on the market. Alcohol is carcinogenic. Many of our food preservatives and additives are carcinogenic. Cosmetics ingredients. Clothing treatments and dyes. Household cleaners. Automobiles. Need I continue? Cigarettes are but a minor piece of the puzzle, not really worthy of the mass hysteria many people grant them.

Don't forget new homes. Formaldehyde in the glue that bonds plywood. The new home smell is partly formaldehyde...

lone wolf
+1
I came to the conclusion long ago that breathing supports cancer.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Do cigarettes cause cancer - or is it something in the smoke that may aggravate it in some people?

I think you are closer to the right answer. I doubt very much if cigarettes cause cancer or you wouldn't see any old smokers. The most important thing is everything in moderation. Worrying probably causes a lot more cancer than cigarettes.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I doubt very much if cigarettes cause cancer or you wouldn't see any old smokers. The most important thing is everything in moderation. Worrying probably causes a lot more cancer than cigarettes.

Of course cigarettes can cause cancer. You see old smokers because some people have stronger genetics... Smoking is a risk. Lots of activities increase the risk of developing cancer. Doesn't mean that you will. That's a pretty important distinction.

karrie
How many of those old smokers did have cancers form? Immune systems CAN kill off a cancer before it becomes a full blown tumour. There are so many factors in what causes full on cancer that trying to say that survivors means cigarettes don't cause it, is as erroneous as saying they're the only carcinogen on the market.

JLM
Back when I was a kid there was a theory that the strontium 90 in milk caused cancer. Haven't heard anything for years about that.

lone wolf
Didn't we hear the same stuff about fluoridation? There have been so many studies that blamed one thing or another, then counter studies to refute those findings, then more studies to find something else to blame. How much does all the pharmaceutical magic we have today contribute?

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Back when I was a kid there was a theory that the strontium 90 in milk caused cancer. Haven't heard anything for years about that.

Strontium 90 can cause cancer...science refines. This is what today's theory looks like:
NRC: Backgrounder on Radiation Protection and the “Tooth Fairy” Issue

boats2010
Well I think that gasoline should be looked at a little harder. I was in Oregon and California and there were fittings on the gas station fuel filler that removed the fumes. Most states and provinces don’t have that. So just think for a min. how much fuel fumes escape into the air. Secondly gasoline should not be handled period. Gasoline goes through your skin very easily. Governments hammer manufacture to produce clean running vehicles, but the oil companies let you spill it, handle it and breathe the fumes. But it seems we would not dare ask an oil company to be responsible with their product. Look at the product, there is no parts and service or the infrastructure to maintain, no warranty to pay and once used there is no recycling or waste disposal to pay for. I feel the oil companies should hire and train workers to pump gas safely. It would create a ton of jobs in a depressed marketplace

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Strontium 90 can cause cancer...science refines. This is what today's theory looks like:
NRC: Backgrounder on Radiation Protection and the “Tooth Fairy” Issue

So what does that mean. They stopped adding it to milk?

Quote: Originally Posted by boats2010 View Post

Well I think that gasoline should be looked at a little harder. I was in Oregon and California and there were fittings on the gas station fuel filler that removed the fumes. Most states and provinces don’t have that. So just think for a min. how much fuel fumes escape into the air. Secondly gasoline should not be handled period. Gasoline goes through your skin very easily. Governments hammer manufacture to produce clean running vehicles, but the oil companies let you spill it, handle it and breathe the fumes. But it seems we would not dare ask an oil company to be responsible with their product. Look at the product, there is no parts and service or the infrastructure to maintain, no warranty to pay and once used there is no recycling or waste disposal to pay for. I feel the oil companies should hire and train workers to pump gas safely. It would create a ton of jobs in a depressed marketplace

In Canada most stations have a low flow pump nozzle that Shell pioneered. It is designed to reduce the fumes. My nose finds it makes a difference. As far as spills go, the low flow doesn't kick back as much so you get less spillage. Ideally not using gasoline is the only real answer.

darkbeaver
Cancer is a growth industry. All we're going to do about it is sell ribbons donate to cancer foundations and swallow expensive pills. It is a disease of the modern world.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Cancer is a growth industry. All we're going to do about it is sell ribbons donate to cancer foundations and swallow expensive pills. It is a disease of the modern world.

How punnerific.

Elder

that's right!..

Carcinogen

A carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide or radiation, that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. This may be due to the ability to damage the genome or to the disruption of cellular metabolic processes. Several radioactive substances are considered carcinogens, but their carcinogenic activity is attributed to the radiation, for example gamma rays and alpha particles, which they emit. Common examples of carcinogens are inhaled asbestos, certain dioxins, and tobacco smoke. Cancer is a disease in which damaged cells do not undergo programmed cell death. Carcinogens may increase the risk of cancer by altering cellular metabolism or damaging DNA directly in cells, which interferes with biological processes, and induces the uncontrolled, malignant division, ultimately leading to the formation of tumors. Usually DNA damage, if too severe to repair, leads to programmed cell death, but if the programmed cell death pathway is damaged, then the cell cannot prevent itself from becoming a cancer cell.

Because it will go underground and cause as much difficulty, violence and trauma as any hard drug addictive substance. Safer for everyone to keep it legal. A person smokes a cigarette by personal choice, then must light another and another and another, by personal choice again, until they are addicted to it. The onus is entirely upon them, and upon all addicts including alcoholics, for their choices. Re carcinogens we breathe, eat and absorb these through the skin on a daily basis whether we want to or not as we live in a toxic world.

Goober

that's right!..

Carcinogen

Chili have not read the comments on the thread. But your title is completely misleading. Do some research on the carcinogens in the common products in your house. How they oxidize for lack of a better term chemical poison that you breathe in everyday.

You could start with that computer, or the furniture in your house, laced with fire retardant's for one. The carpets, the cleaning agents that you use to so call sanitize your house.
Lastly - It is well known that the air inside your house have approx 5 times the levels of pollutants that you would find outside of your house. It is also recommended that you turn on all your exhaust fans at least once per day to change the air inside your very own house. from what i understand new home construction now calls for that very thing. The ability to turn one switch and bring in fresh air.

kooltez
Ban cigarettes totally ,lets move on