U.S. Supreme Court has ruled....


B00Mer
Republican
#1
So the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that you have the right under the First Amendment to protest military funerals ... I invite you to start your protest in my front yard and we can see if your First Amendment is better than my Second Amendment ...
 
critter171
Democrat
+2
#2
there no causing harm and are far enough away yes there not doing anything wrong by law. do they look like scum bags of course but welcome to life
 
B00Mer
Republican
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by critter171 View Post

there no causing harm and are far enough away yes there not doing anything wrong by law. do they look like scum bags of course but welcome to life

spoken like a true "democrat".

1. do you support the war(s)
2. you going to vote for Obama (again) lol

these soldiers paid the ultimate cost, and there is no reason why a buch of religious nuts jobs have the right to shout names and obscenities.
 
gerryh
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

spoken like a true "democrat".

1. do you support the war(s)
2. you going to vote for Obama (again) lol

these soldiers paid the ultimate cost, and there is no reason why a buch of religious nuts jobs have the right to shout names and obscenities.


YA, cause YOUR rights trump THEIR rights, and that's why them thar boys are goin over there and gettin killed. Too make sure YOUR rights trump THEIR rights.
 
Tonington
+2
#5
No reason except for the Constitution? Let's make a list of all groups who no longer deserve constitutional rights.

There's plenty of morons who I wish would shut up, but that's the knife edge of being pro-free speech...
 
Colpy
Conservative
+3
#6
As much as I would appreciate someone blowing the brains out of these idiots, I'm not sure we could tell the difference.

On a calmer note, what should be done is the arrangement of a counter-protest......hopefully with enough protesters with large (blank) banners to surround the Westboro scum, and keep them completely out of the view of the mourners.

Fight fire with fire.
 
gerryh
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

As much as I would appreciate someone blowing the brains out of these idiots, I'm not sure we could tell the difference.


Of course you would, there's no big surprise. If you don't agree with them.....or like the way they do things..........KILL THE BASTARDS!
 
Colpy
Conservative
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Of course you would, there's no big surprise. If you don't agree with them.....or like the way they do things..........KILL THE BASTARDS!

Cease being an arsehole Gerry.....that was a JOKE.....you can READ can't you?

Then read the rest of the post.
 
gerryh
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Cease being an arsehole Gerry.....that was a JOKE.....you can READ can't you?

Then read the rest of the post.


I see, wanting to blow someones head off is a joke...hmmmm.... I really don't see the humour in that.
 
EagleSmack
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

spoken like a true "democrat".

1. do you support the war(s)
2. you going to vote for Obama (again) lol

these soldiers paid the ultimate cost, and there is no reason why a buch of religious nuts jobs have the right to shout names and obscenities.

Boomer... if you don't know, Crit isn't all there. For real. Don't get all worked up over him.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Cease being an arsehole Gerry.....that was a JOKE.....you can READ can't you?

Then read the rest of the post.

He is trying to get your goat - Just don't let him know where it is tied is all - Then forgive him.
 
gerryh
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Boomer... if you don't know, Crit isn't all there. For real. Don't get all worked up over him.


I do agree that "crit" isn't all there, but in this instance, he has it nailed. Right?
 
EagleSmack
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I do agree that "crit" isn't all there, but in this instance, he has it nailed. Right?

I guess they are legally right but I think they do cause harm. Ever see one of their protests at a funeral? It becomes a circus.

I doubt you would want them cheering the death of one of your loved ones.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I do agree that "crit" isn't all there, but in this instance, he has it nailed. Right?

No - Colpy has it nailed.
On a calmer note, what should be done is the arrangement of a counter-protest......hopefully with enough protesters with large (blank) banners to surround the Westboro scum, and keep them completely out of the view of the mourners.

Fight fire with fire.
 
gerryh
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I guess they are legally right but I think they do cause harm. Ever see one of their protests at a funeral? It becomes a circus.

I doubt you would want them cheering the death of one of your loved ones.



well.....I keep being told that Bear, RCS, you, ironsides, goober, etc have ALL fought for my rights, my freedoms. Do we all, including westboro nutcases, not have the same rights? The same freedoms that you all keep saying you have fought for? Or do some have more rights and freedoms than others?
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

well.....I keep being told that Bear, RCS, you, ironsides, goober, etc have ALL fought for my rights, my freedoms. Do we all, including westboro nutcases, not have the same rights? The same freedoms that you all keep saying you have fought for? Or do some have more rights and freedoms than others?

We all have the right to demonstrate or do we lose that having served?
Or is it just right to have a demonstration say for Aryan Nations without a countering pint of view.
Or just for, pick one - For or against Abortion - Only have room for one at a time.
 
EagleSmack
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

well.....I keep being told that Bear, RCS, you, ironsides, goober, etc have ALL fought for my rights, my freedoms. Do we all, including westboro nutcases, not have the same rights? The same freedoms that you all keep saying you have fought for? Or do some have more rights and freedoms than others?

Hmmm... are you having comprehending issues today Gerry? Did someone give you an atomic wedgie this morning?

Did I not say it was legal?
 
gerryh
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Hmmm... are you having comprehending issues today Gerry? Did someone give you an atomic wedgie this morning?

Did I not say it was legal?


You have caveats in your response.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You have caveats in your response.

What caveats. If I was at a funeral I would be upset if they were out there with their antics. Must I enjoy it? Must I enjoy someone saying that the person I am about to bury is now in Hell?
 
B00Mer
Republican
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Hmmm... are you having comprehending issues today Gerry? Did someone give you an atomic wedgie this morning?

Did I not say it was legal?

He probably forgot to take his meds this morning....
 
CDNBear
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Do we all, including westboro nutcases, not have the same rights? The same freedoms that you all keep saying you have fought for?

Yes...
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

He probably forgot to take his meds this morning....

Boomer – I strongly disagree – Look at my tag line on my Avatar – Certifiable & with papers – And Yes I can be an arsehoxl at times. Like when I get out of bed on the wrong side. Mind you things have improved since moving the bed away from the wall, the wall with the window, 2 stories down. Getting up on that side was Not a Good Way to start your day – Go to work, grumpy, people would ask, what’s wrong get up on the wrong side of the bed. I am sure they were spying on me, ya know.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#23
One of the many problems with believing in free speech and a bunch of other rights is that you wind up having to protect the rights of those you profoundly disagree with.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

One of the many problems with believing in free speech and a bunch of other rights is that you wind up having to protect the rights of those you profoundly disagree with.

I'd rather have that problem than the problem of having to stifle what I can say. But you're right, I've probably spent more time defending the right of people to say things that I find personally abhorent than anything else.
 
gerryh
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

What caveats. If I was at a funeral I would be upset if they were out there with their antics. Must I enjoy it? Must I enjoy someone saying that the person I am about to bury is now in Hell?



You're right, how stupid of me...."I guess it's legal" is definitely not a caveat.
 
Goober
Free Thinker
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I'd rather have that problem than the problem of having to stifle what I can say. But you're right, I've probably spent more time defending the right of people to say things that I find personally abhorent than anything else.

One problem we have with free speech are some love to pick the flyshxt from the pepper.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You're right, how stupid of me...."I guess it's legal" is definitely not a caveat.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh
well.....I keep being told that Bear, RCS, you, ironsides, goober, etc have ALL fought for my rights, my freedoms. Do we all, including westboro nutcases, not have the same rights? The same freedoms that you all keep saying you have fought for? Or do some have more rights and freedoms than others?

We all have the right to demonstrate or do we lose that having served?
Or is it just right to have a demonstration say for Aryan Nations without a countering pint of view.
Or just for, pick one - For or against Abortion - Only have room for one at a time.
 
EagleSmack
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You're right, how stupid of me...."I guess it's legal" is definitely not a caveat.

Nitpicking Gerry?
 
gerryh
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Nitpicking Gerry?


I've learned over the years, it's necessary.
 
The Old Medic
Conservative
+3
#29
If you limit THEIR right to speak as they please, then what's to stop someone from keeping YOU from speaking as you please?

Much as I despise these idiots, I always believed that they had the RIGHT to do what they do. AAnd no, you do NOT have the right to shoot them, even if they step onto your property. That's a REAL fast way to go to prison, for a LONG time.

And NO, I DIDN'T vote for Obama. I just respect the right of everyone to free speech, not just the people who's ideas I happen to agree with.

I spent 10 years in the US Army supporting people's right to free speech. I didn't object to the "Anti-War" Kooks who held up signs saying "Too Bad They Didn't Kill You" when I was med-evaced to Valley Forge General Hospital. I thought what they were saying was pretty damn sick, but I absolutely supported their right to say it.

You can't have it half way, so that only the folks YOU agree with have the right. Either everyone has it, or in fact no one has it.
 
TenPenny
+5
#30  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

these soldiers paid the ultimate cost, and there is no reason why a buch of religious nuts jobs have the right to shout names and obscenities.

I guess you don't understand what those soldiers paid 'the ultimate cost' for then.
 

Similar Threads

16
US Supreme Court moves even further right.
by Hard-Luck Henry | Jul 15th, 2020
103
Role of the Supreme Court of Canada
by FiveParadox | Apr 19th, 2018
2