hydro rates a prob... who knew?

10larry
Kathleen appears about to ease off on her plan to place hydro rates in orbit but hafta wonder if losing a TO riding to cons or GE bringing their own power generators while accepting her bribe to set up a combustion engine shop swayed her.
Premier Kathleen Wynne calls Ontario hydro rates an ‘urgent issue’ for her government | Globalnews.ca

Murphy
Ontario voters are just stupid enough to reward her if she lowers them - despite the fact that she created the mess to begin with. So many in arrears! Better to make half the money and collect from almost everyone. We'd come out ahead.

The rates need to be cut by 50%. Not 5 or 10%, or worse, a locked in price for a fixed period. Her security must be many and vigilant, I expect.

lone wolf
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
I can't understand how the silly witch stays in office. It has less common sense than Gawd granted a louse - but owns the cops. We need recall legislation and impeachment procedures

mentalfloss
This is only a problem for people who live in rural areas.

darkbeaver
+1
There are some rural areas i n Canada.

mentalfloss
Move closer to the cities you luddites.

darkbeaver
+2
Nothing grows in the cities, except mold.

Murphy
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I can't understand how the silly witch stays in office. It has less common sense than Gawd granted a louse - but owns the cops. We need recall legislation and impeachment procedures

Her power base, as well as Dalton McGuinty's, is southern Ontario. That's where the votes are. Politicians know that they can abuse and ignore 90% of Ontario because their supporters are in a small area around the lake.

I live in rural central Ontario and my hydro rates have climbed considerably. In the past year alone by 12%, and that's with new windows and doors installed last September. My neighbours down the road that live in a typical farmhouse with older windows are paying through their noses. But it's not just the houses. It's the power required to feed, milk and care for livestock, poultry and crops which is hurting the most.

That reflects as increases to food costs,

I know some of the people here were talking about starting a coop and cutting out the marketing boards and the traditional supply routes for food crops. The marketing boards remind them of their legal and contractual obligations, but few farmers care. How are you gonna eat if food increases outstrip hydro increases? Or, if availability dries up?

It's a mess.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Not according to the news ... which you'd hear if you weren't looking for ways to be twaddle

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Nothing grows in the cities, except mold.

Mentalfart`s brain is a good example of that

How much farming can you do in the city? Fact is all the city dwellers would be dead if it wasn't for the rural citizens support.

Jinentonix
It's not just the hydro rates that are the problem, it's all the little "extras" that get tacked onto your bill. Of course there's the usual taxes, and because the Ontario govt are pricks and always have been is this particular regard, their monthly hook up and delivery charges. But the biggest affront is the "Global Adjustment Fee". Now, if Ontario is generating hydro at the 99.7% emissions-free they claim it is, (it's actually 81%) then why the f*ck are we paying a fee for NOT producing emissions from power generation? And a huge fee it is too. Basically, if you use $125 worth of hydro in a month, you're going to be charged around $500 for it.

lone wolf
+1
Global Adjustment more than makes up for what "discounters" like Planet and Just Energy take. Delivery? Nobody can explain what that's all about. Call Hydro three times and you'll get three different answers - all of them hiding the fact it's a tax that doubles the bill and makes the revenues look good for suckers ... er ... investors

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Global Adjustment more than makes up for what "discounters" like Planet and Just Energy take. Delivery? Nobody can explain what that's all about. Call Hydro three times and you'll get three different answers - all of them hiding the fact it's a tax that doubles the bill and makes the revenues look good for suckers ... er ... investors

No, the fee is to pay wind power producers 6 times the market value for hydro while paying solar producers almost 40 times the market value for hydro, even when neither of them are producing!
It's also another way to goon the Ontario rate payer to make up for all the hydro exported at market value that makes no profit for the govt.
Put it his way, Ontario supplies power to 14.5-5 million homes. Ontario has fewer than 5 million households. Hell, the entire country of Canada has fewer than 14 million households.
This tells me one important thing. Wind and solar are completely pointless in Ontario. Get rid of them, don't even bother replacing them and not only would Ontario still have enough generating capacity to meet it's needs and still have plenty for export, its emission-free generation would remain exactly the same. In fact, it might even improve.

Angstrom
Is manufacturing coming back yet?

Danbones
+1

Move closer to the cities you luddites.

from the city
Deville as they say en francais

we moved away on purpose
that's where fake politicians and their minions live

Curious Cdn
Unfortunately, the Liberals did not win the last election. A stumble-bumbly Conservative leader lost it. It was painful to watch, too and the on-going negative consequences were all predictable, too. Governments need to be fired periodically or they become arrogant and corrupt. Ontario missed its chance and the current pack of Liberals are now many years passed their sell-by-date.

Danbones
A fine case of election wrestling
In Canada, when you want to control the outcome of an election, while making it look kosher, you just put an Ignatief type leader in the leading position in the designated loser party

and move the football a few yards further down the field

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

A fine case of election wrestling
In Canada, when you want to control the outcome of an election, while making it look kosher, you just put an Ignatief type leader in the leading position in the designated loser party

and move the football a few yards further down the field

Or provincially a Hudak, Horvath or Brown.

Instead of going after the Muzzie votes, even though they won the riding, the news should have been Brown's plan to fix the hydro issue, but all the chatter for a week was sex ed.

Wynne will win again because the other 2 appear to have no answers or solutions.

If you live in Wynnetario you may want to get involved with people who are trying to make a difference....

Here are just a few of the things you can do:
  • Visit, like, and most importantly, SHARE our Facebook page once they understand whats to lose, many of your friends and family will probably want to stop this privatization scheme, too!
  • Follow and retweet our Twitter feed .
  • Attend a meeting of the campaigns local chapter. (To ensure we have your email to let you know about meetings and events being held by your local chapter, sign up here .)
Media Coverage Hydro Not For Sale!

Jinentonix
+1

Mississauga is a rural area? Oshawa-Whitby is a rural area? Windsor is a rural area? Ottawa is a rural area? K-W is a rural area? London is a rural area?
Are you on a mission to prove how utterly clueless you are or something?

Murphy
He just says that to get a reaction. He's like your little brother. He wants to hang out with you, and be cool like his big brother. The trouble is, he's too immature for the bigger boys to want to bother with. Put him on ignore.

lone wolf
Chris Vander Doelen: ‘Dirty, rotten greed’ ruined hydro | Windsor Star

Murphy
That was an interesting article.

Rates will continue to increase, regardless of which government is in control. For Liberal election strategists, this is great news. Voters have short memories, so a small rate rollback or price freeze on hydro will buy votes.

Patrick Brown's mob will have to be careful how they fight back. It's too early for the Conservatives to hammer Wynne right now, but they have to feed the anger until election time. Set up and strike. It's chess. In the meantime, nothing gets better for hydro paying Ontarians.
Last edited by Murphy; Sep 8th, 2016 at 11:52 AM..

petros
+1
The problem has a name. Energy Poverty

'People have to choose between heating and eating': Rising hydro costs hit Ontarians - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

It's not just Ontario

Carbon tax would hit the poor hardest, says Fraser Institute - Prince Edward Island - CBC News

ENERGY POVERTY | BCPIAC

Murphy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The problem has a name. Energy Poverty

'People have to choose between heating and eating': Rising hydro costs hit Ontarians - Home | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

Yes, I saw a similar story on Global news. I suspect the Liberals have done so well there for years because of the increasing foreign demographic in the GTA. In the city of Toronto for example, 49.9% of Toronto residents are foreign born.

I am not a sociologist, but wonder how many of these new arrivals are ignorant of Ontario's problems and politics, don't wish to rock the boat, or both? Does language play a role? The GTA is Liberal high ground.

petros
How many of those living in the GTA have been outside of Canada's p€nis which is identical to America from the viewpoint of Canadians outside of S ON looking in.

Same goes for the BC Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley.

Murphy
In order to turn things around, something earth shattering must happen to influence voters in these areas.

I remember years ago, when I lived on Van Isle, going to visit a friend in Surrey. In certain respects, being in the lower mainland reminded me of the GTA. I am so glad not to live in a city.

WRT hydro, one could argue that it doesn't matter how the rates get lowered, as long as they come down. I am a political cynic however. The Liberals have, in large measure, done severe damage to the province that will take more years than I have left to correct. Having a 1 or 2 cent per KW rollback on my bill won't fix anything. It will buy votes though. The GTA is a tough political nut to crack.

Ontario will remain a fiefdom for years to come. A political backwater.

My critics will suggest I am racist for suggesting the high numbers of new Canadians that are eligible to vote are part of the problem. It cuts two ways. The Liberals are using this demographic as part of her election toolbox. It will be up to the NDP or Conservative strategists to knock them off the throne.

The recent Conservative by-election win prompted Wynne's 're-evaluation' of Ontario Hydro. In that same interview, she slipped responsibility to the minister of energy. She has to avoid the sh!t sticking to her. Ministers and provincial MPs are sacrificial lambs.

petros
Selling a Crown asset in order for it to be legal to charge a Federal Carbon Tax is reason enough to get rid of them.

It's a tithe that is supposed to relieve your guilt of being a carbon sinner.

ECO FEES in BC are nuts. I bought a signal bulb for my truck yesterday. 10 cent eco fee. For what I have no f-cking clue. Glass is rock for f-ck sakes. Are rocks a threat to the environment? Plants love biodegradable brass.

It makes no sense.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Yes, I saw a similar story on Global news. I suspect the Liberals have done so well there for years because of the increasing foreign demographic in the GTA. In the city of Toronto for example, 49.9% of Toronto residents are foreign born.

I am not a sociologist, but wonder how many of these new arrivals are ignorant of Ontario's problems and politics, don't wish to rock the boat, or both? Does language play a role? The GTA is Liberal high ground.

If they are not born here they have to wait 5 years then go through the application process for citizenship which takes another year or more before they can vote. By that time, if they have cared enough to become a citizen, they should have some handle on the politics.

It isn't the price of the power that is the issue. The problem is either deregulation or lax regulation of the extra charges for transmission and delivery (I thought those were the same thing but apparently not nowadays). Our electric costs about $200/mo on an equal payment plan but $125-$150 of that is not actually the cost of power. The suppliers in Alberta are collecting $100 million/mo or more in added charges in my estimation and for doing nothing that they didn't do before deregulation.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Selling a Crown asset in order for it to be legal to charge a Federal Carbon Tax is reason enough to get rid of them.

It's a tithe that is supposed to relieve your guilt of being a carbon sinner.

ECO FEES in BC are nuts. I bought a signal bulb for my truck yesterday. 10 cent eco fee. For what I have no f-cking clue. Glass is rock for f-ck sakes. Are rocks a threat to the environment? Plants love biodegradable brass.

It makes no sense.

Same with all the 'recycling' fees on tires and batteries etc. The recyclers do not get any of that money. Where does it go?

Angstrom
Is manufacturing back yet?

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Is manufacturing back yet?

Yep...but they brought their own generators.