i would like to communicate with other left-handers

w1ndy
hi everyone

Tonington
What about people who use both?

quandary121
only when i look in the mirror sorry

gopher
Being left handed is a sign of intelligence.

Tonington
There's a few things I do only right handed. Throwing a baseball, and shooting a basketball. Pretty much everything else I do with both sides of my body. I batted from both sides of the plate in baseball. Playing fullback in soccer, I kicked with both feet, but mostly left footed. I can play ping pong with either hand. I like playing around with two paddles I can write with both hands, but prefer my right. I hold a fork with either hand. Depends on who is next to me, but prefer the right. When I use hand tools, pretty much the same thing. Can use both but prefer my right hand.

Before college, I never really used my left hand for much. Then I had an accident, and my right arm was in a cast for a few months. Started doing everything with my left hand, and most things were pretty easy to master. Since then, I use my left hand much more, but prefer my right as that's just how I was brought up.

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Being left handed is a sign of intelligence.

Just guessing here, but I'd bet you're a leftie.

The business of handedness is interesting though. I have five siblings, two of whom are left-handed (both female), the rest of us (all male) are right handed. Our mother was left handed as well. I am so firmly right handed that my left hand isn't much better than a flipper for most purposes, it seems to have about half the strength and dexterity of my right hand, and my right hand and arm are noticeably larger than my left. But I also play a guitar, which requires fairly complex left handed movements, and while I'm no Eric Clapton, I ain't too bad at it.

Has anybody researched handedness? I'd be interested to know if any non-human critters display handedness like we do, or if anyone has a clue what causes it. I suppose I could google.... but I'm feeling lazy tonight.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Just guessing here, but I'd bet you're a leftie.

The business of handedness is interesting though. I have five siblings, two of whom are left-handed (both female), the rest of us (all male) are right handed. Our mother was left handed as well. I am so firmly right handed that my left hand isn't much better than a flipper for most purposes, it seems to have about half the strength and dexterity of my right hand, and my right hand and arm are noticeably larger than my left. But I also play a guitar, which requires fairly complex left handed movements, and while I'm no Eric Clapton, I ain't too bad at it.

Has anybody researched handedness? I'd be interested to know if any non-human critters display handedness like we do, or if anyone has a clue what causes it. I suppose I could google.... but I'm feeling lazy tonight.

LOL. I always the the left arm of a righty was stronger because the right hand did the delicate crafty work and the left did the muscle to support the right. Do you play hockey left or right handed. My understanding is hockey puck control is done with the right hand on a left hand stick. The opposite of course for the other hand shot. Curious.

Tonington
That's an interesting question Dex, a candidate for the intelligence question/answer thread

I did only a little looking around. The petalia is a protrusion which in humans tends to favour one side or the other of both the occipital and frontal lobes. Further to that, the protrusions also twist, which the literature calls petalia torque. So far, it appears that this asymetry in hominid brains didn't arrive until Homo erectus. Perhaps when we began to walk upright, instead of on four limbs, and use implements and tools, handedness became more important?
The literature mentions asymetry in other animals. In capuchin monkeys, the population shows a left-frontal petalia, but no preference to handedness, which seems to be a commonality amongst the new world monkeys.

So, maybe an animal needs both for handedness, which would make a certain amount of sense beyond the simple explanation that we have both lobes with petalias, and these monkeys don't. The occipital lobe is the visual center, so maybe without having a dominant side to the occipital lobe, the hand-eye coordination that plays on our senses and perceptions won't be able to develop a favoured limb.

Interesting question Dex, as are most questions involving the brain

L Gilbert
.school in allowed wasn't it because left the with well write can't I , Unfortunately .right the use to forced when except ,both use I

cortex
I dont use my hands anymore.
just my feet
I use my right foot mostly
for driving
The left for subtle nonverbal gestures
My tongue is for keyboards
elbows to play guitar
and ive also learned the art
of conducting symphony orchestras
just by shoulder shrugging
and sneering

Hands suck
and they stink too
stangely enough
since I stopped using my hands
my hands now smell like feet
and my feet smell like weed

snatch the tim bit from my foot

L Gilbert
rofl
That's cool, Cortez.

gopher
"I'd bet you're a leftie"

Wow! Good guess!

w1ndy
thank for all that replied to my thread some interesting posts keep them up, i was a right-handed person, until i had a serious industrial accident , so had to learn to write left-handed, i found it hard in the beginning , but now people comment and how nice my handwritting is!! if i was born right-handed does that mean now im left-handed i doubly intelligent!!!!! keep posting!!!

BigLou
I was a lefty until 1 year ago, in French class at school, when I was bored and tried to write with my right hand. 700 or so sheets of paper, and well over 1500 times of writing the ABCs and various sentences later, I'm now ambidextrous!