Ontario offers electricity deal

petros
Well, well, well. Looky here: Large industries looking to expand or set up in Ontario will be able to qualify for lower electricity prices next year. Eligible companies could qualify for a reduced rate if they create jobs and bring new investment to Ontario. Companies that make a minimum investment of $250 million will be eligible for long term contracts at the wholesale market price, about 30 per cent less than current electricity rates. If the new jobs a company creates disappear, so will its lower rate. The Liberal government says lower rates will make it easier for large firms to expand.

Machjo
BS. If you want to raise my rates, go right ahead; but don't then turn around and have my rates subsidize someone else's.

captain morgan
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

BS. If you want to raise my rates, go right ahead; but don't then turn around and have my rates subsidize someone else's.

Sounds like a clear case of home grown dutch disease... This looks like a job for.... Tommie the Commie

petros
+1
Maybe a Carbon Tax would help?

captain morgan
How about a nuke and hydro royalty on top of a electricity tax?

Taxes solve everything - no questions asked

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Taxes solve everything - no questions asked

Of course they do. Everybody wants to pay more taxes.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Of course they do. Everybody wants to pay more taxes.

I don't mind paying more taxes; I recognize that someone has to pay our federal and provincial debts. My issue is with my taxes being spent irrisponsibly or subsidizing those who don't need the subsidy.

petros
Well, looks like you're going to be shelling out the business welfare before paying down debt.

Machjo

Well, looks like you're going to be shelling out the business welfare before paying down debt.

And that's a problem.

petros
It is. For business it makes sense to set up shop in a Province with a low debt ratio. It removes some of the risk of high taxation coming down the pipe.

Machjo

It is. For business it makes sense to set up shop in a Province with a low debt ratio. It removes some of the risk of high taxation coming down the pipe.

Plus, if you raise taxes now and pay off the debt with it, you avoid paying interest later.

petros
But according to OWS and "the gap" types, nobody has money except the rich.

Machjo

But according to OWS and "the gap" types, nobody has money except the rich.

OWS?

Most people have money. Many people just don't realise how far thir money can go.

petros
How far does it go when you are paying more taxes and subsidizing industry?

Machjo

How far does it go when you are paying more taxes and subsidizing industry?

In the long run it goes farther if I pay more taxes now to pay off the debt than later to pay off the debt plus interest.

On the other hand, it does nothing if it just goes to subsidize inductry. Sure it might bring prices down for sertain products and services, but then what's the point of taxing me more just to subsidize industry to bring the cost of goods down. Seems overcomplicated when you could just then lower my taxes and not subsidize industry.

petros
Reducing debt won't bring the cost of goods and services down.

lone wolf
Too bad they have to offer a deal on what once came a provincial service under many Conservative governments - BEFORE Harris'

Machjo

Reducing debt won't bring the cost of goods and services down.

You're absolutely right. However, it could lower interest rates.

DurkaDurka

Actually, the province has been subsidizing residential electricity by 15% for the past couple years which is due to expire in the near future.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Actually, the province has been subsidizing residential electricity by 15% for the past couple years which is due to expire in the near future.

Then a responsible government would raise rates by 15% and I'd be for that, as long as you don't make an exception for anyone. By the sound of the OP, it's looking as subsidizing some even more with the rest footing the bill.

Why is the government subsidizing my electricity? And why does it want to sobsidize others' even more!

DurkaDurka

Then a responsible government would raise rates by 15% and I'd be for that, as long as you don't make an exception for anyone. By the sound of the OP, it's looking as subsidizing some even more with the rest footing the bill.

Why is the government subsidizing my electricity? And why does it want to sobsidize others' even more!

I believe the subsidy was enacted when the HST was implemented.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

I believe the subsidy was enacted when the HST was implemented.

Then just raise social security rates if that's the concern. Problem solved. I don't need my electricity subsidized.

DurkaDurka

Then just raise social security rates if that's the concern. Problem solved. I don't need my electricity subsidized.

You might not but lower income earners might disagree.

Tonington
Most utilities give lower rates to industrial customers. Example, SaskPower bills oil and gas production at 5.83 cents per kiloWatt hour. Rural residential customers pay 10.84 cents per kiloWatt hour.

petros
$50 basic for oil companies $20 for residential. They make more money off the provider fee than usage fees. A jack pump doesn't use very much wattage.

DurkaDurka

$50 basic for oil companies $20 for residential. They make more money off the provider fee than usage fees. A jack pump doesn't use very much wattage.

What is a jack pump?

petros
+1

DurkaDurka
+1

ahh, thanks for the info.

Tonington

Is a jack pump the only piece of oil or gas field equipment that uses electricity? I doubt that very much. In order to make more money off the fee, a house would have to use less than 185 kiloWatt hours per month. How much kiloWatt hours would a typical jack pump use in one month?

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Is a jack pump the only piece of oil or gas field equipment that uses electricity? I doubt that very much. In order to make more money off the fee, a house would have to use less than 185 kiloWatt hours per month. How much kiloWatt hours would a typical jack pump use in one month?

The pump jacks are on timers so they dont run all the time and they have very small electric motors running them.
From the pumpjacks the oil go's straight to a satellite building and then battery where it's trucked out.