Teen dies from rare brain infection after swimming in Minnesota lake

spaminator
REUTERS
First posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 07:16 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, July 09, 2015 07:22 PM EDT
MINNEAPOLIS - A 14-year-old boy died on Thursday from a rare brain infection state health officials believe he contracted while swimming in a lake in central Minnesota, his family said.
The Minnesota Department of Health said the child had developed a very rare and severe brain infection caused by a freshwater amoeba called Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, while swimming in Lake Minnewaska about 115 miles northwest of Minneapolis.
Hunter Boutain died surrounded by his family, his uncle, Bryan Boutain, said in a statement. He was being treated at University of Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital.
"Hunter's condition deteriorated throughout the night and he was declared brain dead this morning," Boutain said in the family statement. "It is a deeply emotional time for all us. We ask for privacy and prayers as we remember our beloved Hunter."
It was only the third documented case in Minnesota of Naegleria causing the brain infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. The prior two cases were linked to a different lake in 2010 and 2012 and also proved fatal.
The state health department said Naegleria infections are far more common in warm southern states and there were 35 reported in the United States from 2005 through 2014.
The organism enters the body through the nose, typically during swimming or diving in warm freshwater, the state health department said.
Teen dies from rare brain infection after swimming in Minnesota lake | World | N

JLM
+1
If there's any news depicting misery, misfortune, death or stupidity Spaminator will find it.

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

If there's any news depicting misery, misfortune, death or stupidity Spaminator will find it.

I also try to post comedy, sports, music, art, business, history, science fiction/fact, space, paranormal, technology, etc.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

I also try to post comedy, sports, music, art, business, history, science fiction/fact, space, paranormal, technology, etc.

Oh good, perhaps I'm just drawn to the morbid ones.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Rather harsh comment.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Rather harsh comment.

I guess you didn't see the smileys. Next time I'll use the purple ink. Sorry.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#7  Top Rated Post

I guess you didn't see the smileys. Next time I'll use the purple ink. Sorry.

You put smileys on all your posts so much so they carry little meaning.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

You put smileys on all your posts so much so they carry little meaning.

That could be true- just like to project am upbeat aura!

Twila
Tragic. I had no idea this was a thing in North America. It sounds like something you'd get in the Amazon or Africa.

Spammy, thanks for keeping us all updated on the goings on!

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

That could be true- just like to project am upbeat aura!

But if it is on every post when you truly are joking, it is hard to pick up on (thus my original comment in this thread).

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Tragic. I had no idea this was a thing in North America. It sounds like something you'd get in the Amazon or Africa.

Spammy, thanks for keeping us all updated on the goings on!

gopher
It was all over our local news as the kid was very popular in school and church.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

REUTERS
First posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 07:16 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, July 09, 2015 07:22 PM EDT

Teen dies from rare brain infection after swimming in Minnesota lake | World | N

Well, that's one disease I don't have to worry about!