UN: 2013 extreme weather due to human-induced climate change warming the Earth


mentalfloss
+2
#1
UN: 2013 extreme weather due to human-induced climate change warming the Earth

GENEVA - The head of the U.N. weather agency said Monday that recent extreme weather patterns are "consistent" with human-induced climate change, citing key events that wreaked havoc in Asia, Europe, the U.S. and Pacific region last year.

Michel Jarraud, secretary-general of the World Meteorological Organization, said his agency's annual assessment of the global climate shows how dramatically people and lands everywhere felt the impacts of extreme weather such as droughts, heat waves, floods and tropical cyclones.

"Many of the extreme events of 2013 were consistent with what we would expect as a result of human-induced climate change," he said.

The U.N. agency called 2013 the sixth-warmest year on record. Thirteen of the 14 warmest years have occurred in the 21st century.

A rise in sea levels is leading to increasing damage from storm surges and coastal flooding, as demonstrated by Typhoon Haiyan, Jarraud said. The typhoon in November killed at least 6,100 people and caused $13 billion in damage to the Philippines and Vietnam.

Australia, meanwhile, had its hottest year on record and parts of central Asia and central Africa also notched record highs.

Jarraud drew special attention to studies and climate modeling examining Australia's recent heat waves, saying the high temperatures there would have been virtually impossible without the emissions of heat-trapping carbon dioxide from the burning of coal, oil and gas.

He cited other costly weather disasters such as $22 billion damage from central European flooding in June, $10 billion in damage from Typhoon Fitow in China and Japan, and a $10 billion drought in much of China.

Only a few places were cooler than normal. Among them was the central U.S.

Jarraud also cited frigid polar air in parts of Europe and the southeast U.S., and the widest tornado ever observed over rural areas of central Oklahoma, as being among extreme weather events.

There were 41 billion-dollar weather disasters in the world last year, the second highest number behind only 2010, according to insurance firm Aon Benfield, which tracks global disasters.

Jarraud spoke as top climate scientists and representatives from about 100 governments with the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change met in Japan to complete their latest report on global warming's impact.

UN: 2013 extreme weather due to human-induced climate change warming the Earth
 
EagleSmack
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
lol...

MF you are becoming such a troll. You KNOW you are doing this on purpose.
 
Nuggler
+1
#3
If they just said "climatic change" all would be good. Saying "warming" gets peoples knickers in a knot, and causes deniers to have strokes. Hard on the health care system..........what's left of it.
 
Locutus
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

lol...

MF you are becoming such a troll. You KNOW you are doing this on purpose.


I know eh.

Shaka, when the walls fell.
 
coldstream
+2
#5
Hey wait a sec.. i thought this was about WARMING.. We've had the coldest winter in a century in North America. The Ice has returned to the Arctic... the Antarctic Ice Shelves are advancing. Michael Jarraud sounds like a damn moron.

Basicly it sais that ANY OUTCOME proves the hypothesis. Which is not science... its a cult.. with a political agenda.
 
captain morgan
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

lol...

MF you are becoming such a troll. You KNOW you are doing this on purpose.


Extreme weather due to human induced climate change is wholly responsible for my not having won the big lottery.

I demand climate reparations
 
Locutus
#7
Every damn thing is now attributed to (man-made) global warming.
 
petros
#8
It's the result of the solar storms. The Farmers Almanac which has used the 11 year cycle to give a forecast for quite sometime and accuratly predicted a bitchin' winter .It' a well known phenomenon that does it's thing. The northern lights were cool this winter.
 
mentalfloss
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

lol...

MF you are becoming such a troll. You KNOW you are doing this on purpose.

As I said before, I could post this on virtually every other forum for the pat on the back, but I would rather have people who are critical say their piece.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

As I said before, I could post this on virtually every other forum for the pat on the back, but I would rather have people who are critical say their piece.

I bet you would not keep adding to just one thread.

You NEEEEEED to make new threads.... one on top of another.

Do you have it in you to just pick one thread and add to it?
 
captain morgan
+1
#11
Was it Goebbels that said if you keep telling the lie often enough, it is eventually believed?
 
EagleSmack
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Was it Goebbels that said if you keep telling the lie often enough, it is eventually believed?

One need only look at US Dems and Alarmists to see that he was on to something.
 
Locutus
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

As I said before, I could post this on virtually every other forum for the pat on the back, but I would rather have people who are critical say their piece.

on the whole internet.

the internet?

ok then.

sorry...*ahem*

you don't get around the internet much sir.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

As I said before, I could post this on virtually every other forum for the pat on the back, but I would rather have people who are critical say their piece.

Well? Pick one Climate Change thread... add to it. Can you do that?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Well? Pick one Climate Change thread... add to it. Can you do that?

Now now.....If Frenchy and Motar can do it with their religions.............why not M F with his.......?
 
captain morgan
+1
#16
+10,000
 
Zipperfish
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Was it Goebbels that said if you keep telling the lie often enough, it is eventually believed?

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.

No, that was Fred Flinstone.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Now now.....If Frenchy and Motar can do it with their religions.............why not M F with his.......?


Right and they are 5 Alarm Trolls.


MF has been a member here for quite some time and he has all of a sudden started making thread after thread of the same topic. He didn't always do this.


So... what do you think MF... use one thread and add to it?


Can you do it?

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Hey wait a sec.. i thought this was about WARMING.. We've had the coldest winter in a century in North America. The Ice has returned to the Arctic... the Antarctic Ice Shelves are advancing. Michael Jarraud sounds like a damn moron.

Basicly it sais that ANY OUTCOME proves the hypothesis. Which is not science... its a cult.. with a political agenda.


CS... you know as well as I how many billions are at stake here.


Alarmists will not go quietly into the night on this one. Whole careers and industries are dependent on perpetuating the myth of man made climate change.


No Sir... they are going to go down fighting on this one.
 
DaSleeper
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post





CS... you know as well as I how many billions are at stake here.


Alarmists will not go quietly into the night on this one. Whole careers and industries are dependent on perpetuating the myth of man made climate change.


No Sir... they are going to go down fighting on this one.


The ones making the money do not fight, they have their minions doing that......clean hands yanno?
 
Tonington
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Well? Pick one Climate Change thread... add to it. Can you do that?

Why should he? After all there is a climate change sub-forum here, though that's not where this got posted. For those who think it's all one big scam I guess I can understand why they think it should all be put in one place (good luck on some critical analysis of the content you actually post mentalfloss, most here are convinced by conspiracy theories). I haven't read anything from the forum owner wanting to see some consolidation. So really, what's it to you then?
 
captain morgan
#21
Critical analysis of what?

The UN has been issuing press releases faster than a $5 hooker giving a hummer in the alley.

At least you get some kind of value for the hummer
 
Tonington
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Critical analysis of what?

The content. You know, the prevalence of extreme weather events? Jeez want me to give you a freebie? Ask about the distribution and the level of significance that studies have found.

Quote:

The UN has been issuing press releases faster than a $5 hooker giving a hummer in the alley.

At least you get some kind of value for the hummer

Not having any experience with hookers, I'm at a loss for what to say and will bow out to your experience on the matter. Now I kind of regret offering you a freebie, because I'm not sure how you'll take that!
 
captain morgan
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

The content. You know, the prevalence of extreme weather events? Jeez want me to give you a freebie? Ask about the distribution and the level of significance that studies have found.

You mean extreme weather events that resulted in multiple episodes of kilometer-thick sheets of ice across NorAm... Like that?

Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Not having any experience with hookers, I'm at a loss for what to say and will bow out to your experience on the matter. Now I kind of regret offering you a freebie, because I'm not sure how you'll take that!

Head down to Mardi Gras in Orleans some time... You'll learn really fast.

Protip for ya... The best looking women in NOLA are very often men.... Something to keep in mind
 
Tonington
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

UN: 2013 extreme weather due to human-induced climate change warming the Earth

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

You mean extreme weather events that resulted in multiple episodes of kilometer-thick sheets of ice across NorAm... Like that?

It's right there in the thread title, and the opening line of the OP. See, this is why I think some would rather see it in one thread. If all you have is talking points, I guess that's fine too.

Quote:

Head down to Mardi Gras in Orleans some time... You'll learn really fast.

Protip for ya... The best looking women in NOLA are very often men.... Something to keep in mind

They're all yours. You don't have to worry about my competition driving up the cost of your $5 hookers.
 
petros
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post


Protip for ya... The best looking women in NOLA are very often men.... Something to keep in mind

They use a lot of Advil because there is never just one pick me up grandpa.
 
captain morgan
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

It's right there in the thread title, and the opening line of the OP. See, this is why I think some would rather see it in one thread. If all you have is talking points, I guess that's fine too.

You see the ridiculousness of the claim from the UN and truthers then.

Glad we cleared this up.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

They're all yours. You don't have to worry about my competition driving up the cost of your $5 hookers.

Just lettin' ya know.... Nothing lasts for ever, but perhaps that's a lesson you have yet to learn
 
darkbeaver
+1
#27
The islands are disappearing under the melt water.
 
captain morgan
#28
Should I be cutting back on the number of mixed drinks with ice cubes that I have?
 
darkbeaver
#29
Everyone has to pitch in. What extreme weather events? It was cold this winter? It snowed? Was it forty days in a row or more?
 
captain morgan
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Everyone has to pitch in. What extreme weather events? It was cold this winter? It snowed? Was it forty days in a row or more?

I was just about convinced that it was time to construct a large arc-style snowmobile... As it turns out, when the time came to collect 2 of every animal on earth, a really good hockey game was on and, well, it kinda fell off the radar from that point