Gun Control is Completely Useless.

spilledthebeer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Guns and white supremacists don’t mix

When Justin Trudeau was first elected as Liberal Prime Minister, he promised a new Canada—one based on a commitment to feminism and Indigenous rights. He also promised to address the loopholes in the gun laws created by the former Conservative government under Stephen Harper. Bill C-71, which was intended to strengthen rules around access to firearms especially for those with a history of violence, provided some improvements but fell short of what most Canadians wanted. Canadians want to feel safe.

That cannot happen if hate groups are allowed to buy hand guns and assault weapons.

The Government’s defence of Bill C-71 was framed almost entirely with verbiage like “gangs and guns” and “gender neutral,” ignoring the bulk of the statistical evidence about gun violence in Canada. Women in Canada represent a higher proportion of victims of firearms violence than their male perpetrators. It is not “gender neutral” to worry more about the interests of the primarily male gun lobby and concerns of rural men than the voices of female victims. Further, the voices of Indigenous women were excluded despite the ongoing genocide of murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls.

The rise of white nationalism has happened so quickly in Canada that governments do not have a handle on the serious threat it poses to public safety and national security. The white nationalist movement (often referred to as the populist movement), has seen far-right Conservatives take increasingly more radical positions that are often racist, sexist and anti-human rights, often aligning themselves with the gun lobby.

Through his own words and actions, U.S. President Donald Trump has further exacerbated the situation by creating a space for those consumed with hatred to share and act on their views more openly. Perhaps emboldened by Trump, the friends, colleagues and affiliates of white nationalists are now being elected as political leaders, hired within universities, and in the background agitating as pro-pipeliners, pro-choice, anti-immigration, anti-Indigenous and pro-gun.

The gun lobby acts as though there is a right to bear arms in Canada, but this is not the United States. The Supreme Court of Canada held—via the historic R v. Hasselwander case—that no such right exists. In fact, the only people with constitutionally-protected rights to bear arms are First Nations whose treaties and Aboriginal rights guarantee them the right to hunt and own rifles. But no one hunts with semi-automatic military weapons. So this has never been about hunting.

While not all gun owners have links to extremists, Canada needs to keep pace with the threats before the threats overtake Canada.

Firearms are often used in hate crimes against racialized and other identifiable groups. The murders of six and injury of 19 Muslims at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City, is only one example of what happens when those who hate have easy access to guns. We can never forget that it was the mass shooting of 14 women at École Polytechnique in Montreal that pushed the conversation of gun control back onto the agenda.

The one target common to all right-wing extremist groups in Canada are “Aboriginal peoples” and the killing of Leo Lachance is just one example. Leo Lachance, a Cree man from Whitefish reserve, was shot and killed by a white supremacist, Carney Nerland, in Prince Albert in 1991. Nerland was a member of the Ku Klux Klan and leader of his local Aryan Nation group who got off with a plea bargain, claiming a misfire. Allowing hate groups, who condone lethal violence, to arm themselves with handguns and military-style assaults rifles, represents a significant public safety threat.

One need only look at the shooting death of unarmed Indigenous youth, Colten Boushie or the recent shooting of another Native youth, Kristian Ayoungman as prime examples of why there needs to be stricter gun control, especially on the Prairies. Both of these shootings are reported to involve elements of anti-First Nation racism, something that has been prevalent on the Prairies for decades. It wasn’t that long ago that the Neil Stonechild Inquiry brought the practice of “starlight tours” to the forefront. This is the practice by police of detaining a Native man, driving him out of town and abandoning him there. Racism is lethal for Indigenous peoples, and easy access to guns by those who hold racist views increase the risk.

To treat gun control as sex-neutral or race-neutral further perpetuates the risk to women and Indigenous peoples. Canada should be engaging with First Nations and Indigenous women’s group to address the threat of gun violence by both white nationalist hate groups and individuals with extreme right-wing, racist views.

www.macleans.ca/opinion/guns-and-white-supremacists-dont-mix/

Good frickin' grief. Well pammie, if FNs are willing to give up every single gun in their possession, I might think you have a point considering that for many FNs it is people in their own communities who they fear most.

TRUE DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Violence and suicide are endemic in native reserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And black kids who have bought into the idea that being good in school..............................

so you can get a decent job and sensible life......................................

means SELLING OUT TO WHITES are DISPROPORTIONATELY INVOLVED IN CRIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In addition - BAD LIE-beral immigration policy is bringing in hordes of illegals............................

who have NO HOPE of succeeding in Canada in any legal and self supporting way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-beral immigration madness is creating a social and criminal under class..............................

that both HATES WHITE SOCIETY - AND DESPERATELY NEEDS WHITE CHARITY to survive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet LIE-berals want to blame white hunters LEGALLY pursuing their hobby.........................

for the violence and smuggled guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why ALL LIE-beral policy is FAILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is all based on false logic and shameless vote buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the gravy needed to buy those votes has run out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yikes , not much fat left by the time they makeMabel Lake , that is further then Adams spawning grounds .

I'm not positive if those are spawning salmon or ones that normally live there. Do salmon HAVE to live in the ocean?

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I'm not positive if those are spawning salmon or ones that normally live there. Do salmon HAVE to live in the ocean?

Those spring in MabelLake go up through the Thompson to the Sicamous and into the lake . There are land locked sockeye , which we call Kokanee but I don’t know if the other species do the same .

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Those spring in MabelLake go up through the Thompson to the Sicamous and into the lake . There are land locked sockeye , which we call Kokanee but I don’t know if the other species do the same .

I'm pretty sure salmon are caught in Mabel Lake during the summer before the spawning season, but I'm not positive.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Far as I know Kokanee are an adaption of an ocean species that got landlocked. There are some where I grew up that got stuck behind a dam. That was the story from the oldtimers anyway. I will try to remember to ask our envirommentalists at work.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Wiki says they are a subspecies of Sockeye and the two use the same spawning grounds but the ones I mentioned is not accessible to ocean fish.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2

I'm pretty sure salmon are caught in Mabel Lake during the summer before the spawning season, but I'm not positive.

Those fish have a long way to travel and enter the Fraser in the spring , hence their name . They will spawn up there before the sockeye arrive . But chinook are not all spring some enter the river in summer and others into the fall .

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Far as I know Kokanee are an adaption of an ocean species that got landlocked. There are some where I grew up that got stuck behind a dam. That was the story from the oldtimers anyway. I will try to remember to ask our envirommentalists at work.

Pretty much . They look and taste like ocean Sox but are not as large . They are found in many systems in B.C.

taxslave
Free Thinker

Those fish have a long way to travel and enter the Fraser in the spring , hence their name . They will spawn up there before the sockeye arrive . But chinook are not all spring some enter the river in summer and others into the fall .

Springs also spawn multiple times.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Springs also spawn multiple times.

Nope , one time only , spawn and die . Steelhead , will spawn and return to the ocean one or more times , but they are an ocean going rainbow trout .

spilledthebeer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyless LIE-beral is discussing migrating Salmon in a thread about GUN CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST LOOK AT THE LIE-berals COWERING AWAY FROM REAL ISSUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colpy
Conservative
+3
Interesting facts;

Canada has risen to 7th place in the world for per capita gun ownership, with almost over 12.7 million (legal) guns in the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estima...ita_by_country

Canada is at 152nd place for murder rate (out of 230)........with a murder rate of 1.8 per 100,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

That means only 6 countries have a greater number of guns per capita, yet 151 countries have a worse murder rate.

Which indicates there is little or no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyless LIE-beral is discussing migrating Salmon in a thread about GUN CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't be a f**king idiot, THAT was the thread where the discussion got started!

DaSleeper

Huh?...Senior moment?

This is a thread about gun control

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/showthread.php?t=49782
Last edited by DaSleeper; 2 weeks ago at 07:31 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Huh?...Senior moment?

This is a thread about gun control

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sh...ad.php?t=49782

I realize that, but I was commenting to posts already on the thread!

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Interesting facts;
Canada has risen to 7th place in the world for per capita gun ownership, with almost over 12.7 million (legal) guns in the country.
Canada is at 152nd place for murder rate (out of 230)........with a murder rate of 1.8 per 100,000.
That means only 6 countries have a greater number of guns per capita, yet 151 countries have a worse murder rate.
Which indicates there is little or no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.

I'm willing to bet that there is a direct relationship between illegal guns and the murder rate. Any takers?

Serryah
Free Thinker
+2

Interesting facts;

IMO, I honestly think it has more to do with the views on guns and 'protection' and 'second amendments' than a lot of other reasons.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

IMO, I honestly think it has more to do with the views on guns and 'protection' and 'second amendments' than a lot of other reasons.

It has far more to do with the "Y" Chromosome and the affects of Testosterone.

Colpy
Conservative
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

The United States has a Second Amendment and concealed carry.

The USA is in first place in the world for per capita gun ownership, with 393 million (legal) guns in the country.

The United States is in 89th place for murder rate (out of 230)........with a murder rate of 5.3 per 100,000.

That means no countries have a greater number of guns per capita than the USA (it is not even remotely close), yet 88 countries have a worse murder rate.

The Czech Republic does not have a Second Amendment, but the do allow reasonably easy access to guns, and they DO allow concealed carry of handguns.

The Czech Republic is in 64th place in the world for per capita gun ownership, with 1.3 million (legal) guns in the country.

The Czech Republic is in 205th place for murder rate (out of 230)........with a murder rate of 0.6 per 100,000.

That means 63 countries have a greater number of guns per capita than the Czech Republic, yet 204 countries have a worse murder rate.

Last edited by Colpy; 2 weeks ago at 09:19 AM..

spilledthebeer

What are you telling us here Joyless LIE-beral Monkey?????????????????

That SALMON ARE INTERESTED IN GUN CONTROL DISCUSSIONS???????????????????????

Salmon run in SCHOOLS..................................

NOT GANGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And - I sense that you are feeling a little bit frustrated and angry at this time - poor Joyless LIE-beral Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How sad that your sense of civil service union HOG ENTITLEMENT.........................

cannot protect you from being exposed as a HYPOCRITE HOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW ABSURD that when it comes to YOUR PAY.........................

you are very comfortable with the greed and gross conflict of interest that HOGS and LIE-berals........................

are so DEEPLY INVOLVED WITH - as they exploit the general public for fun and profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yet when it comes to the things you wish to BUY.........................

then you want all the rest of us to be RUTHLESS CAPITALISTS...........................

under cutting each other daily so you HOGS can have the best prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO wonder you are feeling CRABBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-beral policy is FAILING ACROSS the board and they will not be able to maintain your gravy train for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Hello Bi-Curious Kitty

Colpy
Conservative
+4
https://i.redd.it/abx1nk2eboz31.jpg

Interesting illustration, if you can make it out.

Here's the relevant bit..........2016, Canada. Gang related shootings, 223. Non-gang related shootings, 82. Of those, FOUR (1.3%) were done by legal gun owners.

Yet ALL the ludicrous gun control measures the gov't has brought in, and the gun seizures they are about to bring in are aimed SOLELY at.......legal gun owners. They actually lowered maximum sentences for illegal gun dealing etc.

The fact that I am paranoid obviously does not mean they aren't out to get me.

spilledthebeer

Interesting facts;

WONDERFUL LOGIC THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which means it will be lost on LIE-berals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How sad that LIE-berals so strongly object to white people enjoying themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Girth
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I would have to agree with Colonial Sanders on this one. The screening process in Canada vexes out the mentally unstable applicants.

Hoid
+1

https://i.redd.it/abx1nk2eboz31.jpg

Yet ALL the ludicrous gun control measures the gov't has brought in, and the gun seizures they are about to bring in are aimed SOLELY at.......legal gun owners.

no gun starts life as an illegal gun.

therefore every illegal gun is somehow procured from a legal gun owner.

so don't target the source of every illegal gun?

taxslave
Free Thinker
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Bullshit.

Hoid
who manufactures illegal guns?

nobody

Colpy
Conservative
+2

Well, because that is NOT the source of "every illegal gun" within Canada.

The point you are missing is that the vast majority of handguns used in crime come from the USA. We have no control over that.

A secondary source of guns is theft from Canadian sources. The fact that a certain segment of society has been victimized by theft is NOT an rational nor ethical reason for the state to re-victimize them by stealing their property.

A tiny number of handguns used in crime are "straw purchases" made by legitimate license holders that sell to criminal gangs for vast profits. Now, these people deserve long prison terms.

But the idea that attacking legal Canadian gun owners will cut the murder rate is a concept so stupid it could only be adopted by an entity so incompetent that recently took up drug dealing..........and lost money. A lot of money.

Gun bans will do the same thing. Achieve nothing, cost a lot, and drive tens, if not hundreds of thousands of guns underground, to be traded on the black market.

Not just stupid, but colossally stupid.

Hoid
If nobody has a gun nobody can steal it or buy it from them.

Colpy
Conservative
+3

who manufactures illegal guns?

nobody

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...area-1.4213511

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.4260409

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...d-sold-report/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/w...egal-guns.html

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/aus...#axzz65lMcKTav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinRqCocwGE

Especially watch the last vid..........it makes it very clear. Firearms technology is essentially 19th century technology. Yes you can easily make firearms, and many do.