Cfl 2019

Mowich
Cody connects with Moore to the Winnipeg 2 but is hurt on the play...................why the hell Powell did that the ball over on 1rst and goal is simply insane as Cody is chased back and we go to 2nd and goal.............3rd and goal.............from the 1..........and the Bombers stop us cold.

petros
+1
Well, that's it.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Well. . . shit.

petros
+1
I concur.

Mowich
+2
Bombers take over at their 1 yard line...........get 3 yards on the first play...........and Collaros runs for the 1rst D........1:45 left in the game.........Streveler in and is sacked behind the LOS.............and the Riders will get the ball back with a minute 15 on the clock...........though Medlock will eat up as much of the clock as he can..........Thigpen gets us to the Winnipeg 36 with :56 left.........William gets us to the 24 with :36 left...........and stops the clock.........and Cody is sacked, the ball pops lose ..........Bombers recover but after review the ruling is an incomplete pass as Cody's arm is in forward motion when the ball comes out...........Cody can't connect with Rosie on 2nd and 10..................3rd and 10 with :27 left............and somehow someway Moore is able to catch a ball that went off the fingertips of a Bomber defender and right into his hand................Cody sacked on 1rst and 10.............:14 left.............Cody almost intercepted in end zone as pass goes incomplete..........3rd and 10.................and the pass goes incomplete.

Bombers are off to the Grey Cup. Congratulations to them. Well played game. And in the eternal chant of Rider fans I will close with .........next year.

Cannuck
Losing looks good on Rider fans

Cannuck
+2

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Due to Hoover penalties the stumps got an easy TD early in the 1rst Q. Hoovers need to clean up their act - fast.

Early in the 2nd Q, the stumps lead by 5 points and Boo has been sacked twice and thrown an interception..........keep up the great work Boo.

Hoovers narrow stumps lead to 2 after Justin Medlock splits the uprights.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Losing looks good on Rider fans

It certainly does

Mowich
+1
Once again I am left wondering just where our OC gets his ideas for plays. Three times we were on the goal line and each time he sent in some stupid bonehead play almost guaranteed to fail. Why wasn't William Powell given the ball on 1rst and goal at the what was it the 4 yard line? What the hell was going on with Harker when he lost yards after standing still for a good count of 5 then losing yards as he was pushed back - and why was he sent in when Cody could have stayed? Lastly, the scheme to send Cody laterally instead of forward was exactly what the Bomber defenders were looking for and we played right into their hands thanks to our OC.

Cannuck
Wouldn’t be a true Rider team if they didnt shit the bed

petros
+1

Once again I am left wondering just where our OC gets his ideas for plays. Three times we were on the goal line and each time he sent in some stupid bonehead play almost guaranteed to fail. Why wasn't William Powell given the ball on 1rst and goal at the what was it the 4 yard line? What the hell was going on with Harker when he lost yards after standing still for a good count of 5 then losing yards as he was pushed back - and why was he sent in when Cody could have stayed? Lastly, the scheme to send Cody laterally instead of forward was exactly what the Bomber defenders were looking for and we played right into their hands thanks to our OC.

Woulda coulda shoulda. It was still an excellent season regardless. We still have our other team and it's only 6 months until it starts up again. We have Grey Cup here next year and being the most cash flush team we can stack the deck like in 13.
Last edited by petros; 4 weeks ago at 08:58 PM..

Girth
This is really embarrassing, but I think I had a sports orgasm, when that final pass hit the uprights.

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Woulda coulda shoulda. It was still an excellent season regardless. We still have our other team and it's only 6 months until it starts up again. We have Grey Cup here next year and being the most cash flush team we can stack the deck like in 13.

It was a great season, pete and watching Cody develop into the QB he is today was so entertaining. He took us with him on a great ride and I give him and his receivers so much credit for the great plays they executed. Our defense was one of the best in the league and our STs though still needing a few tweaks gave us plenty to cheer about. But I am standing firm on McDodo.

Our Cats are going eat the Bombers lunch.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

This is really embarrassing, but I think I had a sports orgasm, when that final pass hit the uprights.

Watching the Riders lose was better than watching the Bombers win

petros
+1

It was a great season, pete and watching Cody develop into the QB he is today was so entertaining. He took us with him on a great ride and I give him and his receivers so much credit for the great plays they executed. Our defense was one of the best in the league and our STs though still needing a few tweaks gave us plenty to cheer about. But I am standing firm on McDodo.
Our Cats are going eat the Bombers lunch.

Yeah I agree about McAdon't.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Yeah I agree about McAdon't.

That's what a lot of fans on the Rider forum are calling him. I'm sticking with McDodo because I'm hoping next year he too will be extinct.

petros
+1
Stupid plays. Powell should have been the go to guy in the red zone.

Cannuck
4 Cups in 100 years in a 9 team league. Nuff said

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

When is the last time Hamilton had a dominant season?

I apologize for taking so long to get an answer to your question, Girth. From what I've learned, one has to go back decades to find a Cat's team that was dominant. In recent times however such has not been the case. Their trips to the Grey Cup in 2013 and '14 came off 10 and 8 - 9 and 9 regular season records. So in recent memory, this is the only dominant team to have risen from the ashes of a once bankrupt team that found themselves shuffled out of Ivor Win stadium to the newly named Tim Horton's field and built a team that if not the envy of the league, should be.

Mowich
+1
I'm really looking forward to next week's Grey Cup or La Coupe Grey as you will. Sure my Riders won't be in it but the Cats are and they are my Eastern team all the way. Their record of 15 wins to 3 losses compared to the Bomber's 11 - 7 puts them as odds on favorites.

Cody Fajardo finished top of the league in passing yards with 4302 to his credit - 275 yards more than his nearest rival Trevor Harris who finished with 4027.

"One final little note. I loved seeing the shots of Cody Fajardo signing fans autographs after their loss to Winnipeg. I felt so bad watching him drop to the turf after his third down pass hit the crossbar, ending the Western Final. He easily could have just left the field, collected himself and gone home. To rally back and give some time to the fans was telling of his character. Considering his injuries coming into this game Fajardo acquitted himself quite well for his first ever playoff start. Rider fans have a keeper."

www.cfl.ca/2019/11/18/cauz-no-shortage-storylines-107th-grey-cup/

Mowich
+1
Shaw CFL Awards: Orlondo Steinauer named 2019 Coach of the Year

The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced Thursday that Hamilton Tiger-Cats head coach Orlondo Steinauer has won the 2019 Annis Stukis award as the league's Coach of the Year.

Steinauer, 46, tied a CFL record for a first-year head coach with 15 wins (Dave Dickenson - CGY - 2016) and led the Tiger-Cats to a franchise-best 15-3 record, including six consecutive wins to close out the 2019 season. The 15 wins were three more than the club's previous franchise high of 12 (1989 & 199 and also tied an all-time CFL record for wins by an East Division team in a single season. The Tiger-Cats also went 9-0 at home for the first time in franchise history.

The Seattle, Washington native took over an eight-win Tiger-Cats team and saw them improve by seven wins, finishing first overall in the CFL standings for the first time since 1998 and capturing the East Division crown for the first time since 2014. Steinauer's team also topped the league in points for (551) while allowing the least points against (344) this season. The 344 points allowed were the fewest in franchise history for an 18-game season, while the 551 points scored were second to only the 1999 team that tallied 603.

Steinauer received 38 first-place votes to win the award over West Division nominee Craig Dickenson of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He becomes the seventh Tiger-Cat coach to win the Annis Stukus Award following Greg Marshall (2004), Ron Lancaster (199, Al Bruno (1989), Bob Shaw (1976), Ralph Sazio (1964) and Jim Trimble (1961).

The 2019 CFL Awards were handed out on Thursday night at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta. The winners were selected by a panel of voters, including representation from the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) from all nine CFL markets, members of the national chapter of the FRC and the head coaches of the CFL. In total, 50 ballots were completed.

www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/steinauer-named-cfls-coach-of-the-year/n-5573705

Congratulations Orlando. Had you in the running about half way through the season. Really happy for you, your family, team, staff and all the Cat fans. Well done.

Kudos also due to our own Craig Dickenson and Al's coach Khari Jones for their accomplishments this season.

Mowich
No Small Feat: Banks clears all hurdles en route to MOP

Growing up near Raleigh, North Carolina, Brandon ‘Speedy’ Banks and winning went hand-in-hand.

He was undersized, but it didn’t matter.

He won a championship in basketball. He was a nationally-ranked sprinter in high school.

“I accidentally won a state championship in baseball just by being on the team,” Banks says, laughing.

But when it comes to the sport that he loves the most, the game that he’s dedicated his life to, Banks went into the 2019 CFL season empty-handed.

“I’ve never been a champion in football,” he says. “I’ve been playing since I was four-years old.”

He doesn’t have that championship yet — he and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats will get their shot on Sunday against Winnipeg in the 107th Grey Cup presented by Shaw — but on Thursday night, Banks put his name in the league’s history books when he was named the league’s Most Outstanding Player.

Voted to the top of the CFL mountain by the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL coaches, Banks is just the 10th receiver to ever win the MOP award and the first to do it since Chad Owens won the award with the Toronto Argonauts in 2012.

Moments after he stepped off of the Ticats’ charter flight to Calgary this week, Banks was asked if the MOP award mattered to him.

“A little bit, but it’s more about the Grey Cup. I think it would matter after I win the Grey Cup,” he says.

“I’m not going to discredit the award at all, it’s definitely an honour and I definitely always want to be called the best. I’m a competitive freak. But I think Grey Cup means a lot more to me, my team and my organization.”

It was five years ago in Vancouver that Banks felt what it might be like to win a Grey Cup.

Late in the game, the Tiger-Cats had almost dug their way out of a 17-0 hole in the first half. Then-starting QB Zach Collaros aired a 45-yard pass out to Banks for a touchdown to get Hamilton on the board.

Brandon Banks shows off the hardware after taking home the CFL's Most Outstanding Player Award (Johany Jutras/CFL.ca)

Trailing 20-16 in the final minute of the game, Calgary punted. Banks did what he’s come to be known for in his seven-year CFL career and took the punt 90 yards for what he thought was a Grey Cup-winning touchdown run.

The flag on the field was a good 80 yards behind him by the time he realized what had happened. Illegal block, called on Hamilton No. 44, Taylor Reed.

In that moment, Banks was crushed. He fell to his knees on the sidelines as the offence set itself up for a hail Mary that went high and bounced off the turf, hands on either side of the ball unable to find it. Game over, Grey Cup to Calgary. Banks sobbed on the bench, then stormed out of the Ticats’ locker room.

On Thursday morning, he filled in the blanks of that night. He went straight from BC Place to his hotel room and shut the door. His phone buzzed and lit up all night but he didn’t answer it. He couldn’t. At some point in the night, then-Ticats coach Kent Austin knocked on Banks’ door. Banks remembers turning the cover on the peephole and seeing the fish-eyed view of his coach’s face.

“I just told him I couldn’t,” Banks says. “I was too mad.”

Time really is the miraculous healer of all wounds. What was a no-go topic of conversation, an instant trigger to pain and the kind of thing that turns you into a navel-gazing philosopher (Can you mourn something you never had?) eventually gives way to other stages.

Five years later, five years older and wiser, Banks talks about the play with ease.

“I do (still think about it), I’m not going to lie. I’ll be honest, I try to forget it but I haven’t,” he says.

“I’m over it but I’ll never forget it. It’s one of the defining moments of my career. It made me a stronger person. And I’m trying to get revenge on that moment.”

You don’t so much get over some heartbreaks as much as you learn to live with them. They become a part of you.

“I probably won’t really be satisfied until I win a Grey Cup,” Banks admits.

“I’ll forget it then.”

The plan, Banks says, was never to chase the individual award. It was to be the best that he could be, to come back for another season and do whatever his team needed him to do to get back to this stage, to get another shot at the Grey Cup.

That manifested itself in Banks’ finest season. The 31-year-old posted a career-best 1,550 yards and 13 touchdowns. He returned two missed field goals for touchdowns early in the season, bringing his career total to a CFL record five.

More: www.cfl.ca/2019/11/21/no-small-feat-banks-clears-hurdles-en-route-mop/

Congratulations, Brandon - well-deserved award and thank you so much for all the outstanding returns, runs and receptions this season. You made football a joy to watch.

Kudos to Cody Fajardo who was runner-up for the award - not bad for a rookie.

Mowich
Best In Class: Stars align at the 2019 Shaw CFL Awards

CALGARY — Many of the league’s brightest stars were on display Thursday night at the Shaw CFL Awards, but none shone brighter than Brandon Banks.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats receiver was named the 2019 Most Outstanding Player, capping off a career year in which he led the league in both receiving yards (1,550) and touchdowns (13) among several other major statistical categories.

The honour marks the first time in seven years a receiver has been named MOP, after Toronto Argonauts slotback Chad Owens claimed the award in 2012.

“I’ve matured, I’ve grown as a man,” said Banks. “The organization has had my back since day one so that made me comfortable and let me be who I am. I’ve grown, I’m just happy to be part of an organization that allows you to be you and puts family first.”

Banks and the Ticats will play for the 107th Grey Cup on Sunday against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“At the end of the day I want to be proven as a winner, and Sunday is what that’s all about.”

Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Cody Fajardo was the runner up, after combining for 28 touchdowns and just eight interceptions while leading the Riders to their first West Division title since 2009.

The Ticats and Bombers were both well represented at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, where fans and players gathered to recognize the league’s biggest achievers this season.

Head Coach Orlondo Steinauer, offensive lineman Chris Van Zeyl and special teams returner Frankie Williams also earned major honours for the Ticats, while Bombers defensive end Willie Jefferson was named Most Outstanding Defensive Player.

Montreal Alouettes linebacker and former first overall pick Henoc Muamba was named Most Outstanding Canadian, and Calgary Stampeders linebacker Nate Holley won Most Outstanding Rookie as five of the seven major award winners will play in Sunday’s Grey Cup.

For Banks, 31, winning the CFL’s highest individual honour highlights his tremendous growth as a player. Banks has made the transition from return ace to arguably the league’s most exciting and dynamic offensive playmaker, playing a leading role in the Ticats’ franchise record 15-win season.

“With my skill-set, I’m happy to be in that kind of offence,” said Banks. “I always want the ball. The offence we run creates a lot of chaos. It just goes to show the trust that coaches have in me to make a play.”

Despite having an impact on special teams, his biggest contributions have come on the offensive side of the ball, topping the league in games with 100-plus receiving yards (eight), yards after catch (657) and receptions of 20-plus yards (21). The Garner, N.C., native finished third with 2,029 combined yards and second in yards from scrimmage with 1,606.

On the defensive side of the ball, no player has frustrated opposing offences more than Jefferson, who set a record for defensive linemen with 16 pass knockdowns. The Bombers’ defensive end added 12 sacks and six forced fumbles in an impactful first season in Winnipeg.

“This just shows all the hard work that I put in during the off-season as a whole and the work we put in during the off-season,” Jefferson said. “Just being recognized for all that hard work, all those passes knocked down and all those sacks.”

Ticats linebacker Simoni Lawrence is the runner up. The two will go head to head in Sunday’s Grey Cup Championship.

For Steinauer, the long wait to become a head coach has paid off. More than a decade removed from a prolific playing career, Steinauer led the Ticats to a franchise record 15 wins and an East Division title. The Ticats’ head coach also tied a record for rookie coaching wins.

After winning the award, Steinauer recalled his journey to becoming a head coach.

“I’ve known my wife since university and Gina, she’s always a strong lady that has supported my goals,” he said. “I didn’t want to jump back into coaching because I didn’t want to relocate and put the family through that sort of thing. I accepted a job at a different company. I was excited about it, until I got a call from Jim Barker. She just kind of looked and smirked at me and said ‘you’re a head coach’.”

Muamba was named Most Outstanding Canadian after his second season in Montreal, in which he led the Alouettes to their first playoff game since 2014. His 93 tackles were the second most of his career, while his leadership paid dividends on a young Montreal defence.

“I embraced that challenge, knowing exactly how difficult it would be, but one of the things I was asked to be was a leader,” said Muamba. “I’ve always been asked to be a leader, but I felt that this year I was the best leader I’ve been in my life and my career.”

Jim Lawson, chairman of the CFL’s Board of Governors, was honoured with the Commissioner’s Award by Commissioner Randy Ambrosie.

Current Stampeders general manager and president John Hufnagel earned the Hugh Campbell Distinguished Leadership Award in recognition of the individual who has demonstrated great leadership and has made significant contributions to the league.

Stamps punter Rob Maver was named the 2019 recipient of the Tom Pate Memorial Award. Selected by the CFL Players’ Association, the award celebrates outstanding sportsmanship and is given to a player who has made significant contributions to his team and his community.

Current Als long snapper Martin Bédard received the Jake Gaudaur Veterans’ Award, which is given annually to a Canadian player who demonstrates the attributes of Canada’s veterans: strength, perseverance, courage, comradeship and contribution to Canadian communities.

The first-ever Jane Mawby Tribute Award, recognizing a highly-valued, yet too often unsung current employee at the club and league level, was presented to Calgary’s director of video operations, Ross Folan.

www.cfl.ca/2019/11/21/best-class-stars-align-2019-shaw-cfl-awards/

Mowich
+1

Oskee Wah Wah
Holy Mackinaw
Tigers … eat em raw.”

petros
+1

Oskee Wah Wah
Holy Mackinaw
Tigers … eat em raw.”

looks better twice

Mowich
+1
How many times has Andre done the coin toss?............and still his hand shakes displaying the Military Coin used for the toss. Let's hope it just nerves and not a sign of incipient dementia which more than a few of questionable calls this year could well be harbingers.

Mowich
+1
I can't say as I'm more excited about the Cats then I would be if it were our Riders, pete............but I still have lots of butterflies flitting about my innards and my heartbeat has already quickened. Hoping for a great Cup...............and may the very best team win.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

petros
Amen

petros
+1

How many times has Andre done the coin toss?............and still his hand shakes displaying the Military Coin used for the toss. Let's hope it just nerves and not a sign of incipient dementia which more than a few of questionable calls this year could well be harbingers.

I like Mr Mockery. Bradbury not so much.

Go Cats

Mowich
Not a great start Cats.............turn the ball over on your third play of the game.......sharpen up lads