Brexit cost UK the Gigafactory

Hoid
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1XN1HW

Brexit drove Tesla to pick Berlin over Britain for new factory - report

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain missed its chance to host the first European factory of U.S. electric vehicle pioneer Tesla (TSLA.O) because of Brexit, Chief Executive Elon Musk said in remarks reported on Wednesday.

Tecumsehsbones
Guess they'll have to make their gigas by hand in their quaint li'l cottages.

Blackleaf
Oh dear. It's a tragedy. Best carry on being run by unelected foreigners, then.

Blackleaf
That's the same Germany which is about to enter recession.

Still, we'll get over it.

Independence and sovereignty are important things that people throughout history have fought and died for.

They are much more important than Elon Musk and his factories.

I also don't believe that you have to be in the EU in order to have some foreign business be based in the country. If that was the case then 87% of all nations have no major foreign company based there. Is there no Sony outside Japan and the EU? Are big American corporations only present in America and the EU?

The world outside the EU must be a grim place. I wouldn't like to live in Canada or America or Australia or Japan. Must be awful.
Last edited by Blackleaf; 3 weeks ago at 08:14 PM..

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Independence and sovereignty are important things thar people throughout history have fought and died for.

Denying other people their independence and sovereignty is what the Brits are best known for dying for.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Independence and sovereignty are important things that people throughout history have fought and died for.

I also don't believe that you have to be in the EU in order to have some foreign business be based in the country. If that was the case then 87% of all nations have no major foreign company based there. Is there no Sony outside Japan and the EU? Are big American corporations only present in America and the EU?

The world outside the EU must be a grim place. I wouldn't like to live in Canada or America or Australia or Japan. Must be awful.

I am sure you would like to live in Canada . You might have to get used to having the afternoon pint on a deck overlooking spectacular vistas rather then a stuffy pub . But it doesn’t take long to grow on you .

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Denying other people their independence and sovereignty is what the Brits are best known for dying for.

I'm failr sure Britain has actually GIVEN independence and sovereignty to more states than any other country in history has.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I am sure you would like to live in Canada . You might have to get used to having the afternoon pint on a deck overlooking spectacular vistas rather then a stuffy pub . But it doesn’t take long to grow on you .

I'm not sure I'd rather swap a quaint medieval pub with all its history for a Canadian pub, but it'd still be nice to check one out on a visit.

Of course, you might get lots of Brits emigrating to Canada in the unlikely event of Britain staying in the EU, especially when the EU goes down within the next few years and takes us with it.

Blackleaf
+1
#9  Top Rated Post
As for the article, Mr Musk didn't say it was Brexit that caused him to make the decision (why would it? Nearly 90% of all countries aren't in the EU yet there are big companies based all over the world). He said it's the Brexit UNCERTAINTY - Brexit uncertainty caused by our Remain Parliament's refusal to take us out of the EU on 29th March, then on 12th June and then again on 31st October.

It's the Remainers and there refusal to honour a democratic vote which made Mr Musk come up with this decision, not Brexit itself, which hasn't happened yet.
[QUOTE]

Quote:

Britain’s vote to leave the European Union has hurt foreign investment because the country’s future trading relationship with the EU is still not clear, more than three years after the referendum.

No, it hasn't.

Britain's foreign investment it at a record high.

Britain's FDI is higher than any EU country and it ranks third in the world behind Hong Kong and the United States.

At the end of 2018, Britain's FDI was worth £1.48 trillion, more than France and Germany combined.

Blackleaf
Wizz Air is planning to expand in London ‘no matter what happens to Brexit’

Low cost flyer Wizz Air is planning to spread its wings in its key London market, “no matter what happens … to Brexit,” its chief executive said today. Jozsef Varadi, who co-founded the Hungarian carrier, said this morning he “absolutely” plans to expand in the capital, despite missing out on Thomas Cook’s take-off and landing slots at Gatwick in the wake of its collapse. The firm announced profits rose more than a quarter in the first half of its financial year, with more passengers than ever before travelling on its flights.

Varadi added that he remained “bullish” about the London market.

“London is the single biggest travel market in the world, and I don’t think this is going to change any time soon, no matter what happens to the country, what happens throughout Brexit.

“We are very keen on positioning ourselves strategically to the London market.”

City A.M.

Hoid
Tesla needs a factory in Europe in order to avoid all the problems with importing cars into that jurisdiction.

BY removing themselves from the eu the UK has obviously removed themselves from that equation.

Blackleaf

Far from what the gloomsters proffer, the UK’s car industry looks like it’s shifting into top gear as Britain speeds towards the Brexit finishing line; with the announcement by Jaguar Land Rover of a new three million-square-foot distribution centre in Leicestershire, supplying to 80 markets worldwide. Fueling confidence in global Britain…

The new campus is expecting to create a sizable number of new jobs in the area and shows Jaguar Land Rover plan on having a stake in Britain’s sizable car industry for many more years to come. Remainers must be quite exhausted and tired of making wrong predictions, Guido doesn’t think they’ll give us a brake any time soon…

Guido is disappointed to report that post-Brexit, readers will not have to resort to using copies of The New European when they go to the loo; as beloved toilet paper company, Andrex, have flushed away remainers claims that Brexit will limit supplies. Britain’s global roll will only be enhanced outside the tearable EU…

The 77-year-old number one number two company confirmed that “nearly all” of their product is manufactured in the UK, and they have strong contingency plans to ensure supplies roll on, “whatever the outcome of Brexit may be.” Guido looks forward to taking apart future remainer fake loos…

Magners: Now is a good time to switch to Britain

Irish cider and beer maker C&C Group, whose brands include the Magners and Bulmers ciders, as well as Tennants lager, said it will seek admission to London’s FTSE and discontinue its Irish stock market listing, simultaneously switching its financial reporting from euros to sterling from October 7, the company announced this morning. The company will cancel its listing in Dublin, despite Brexit…

New jobs figures released today by the ONS show average pay leaping to a growth rate of 4% in the last year, the fastest increase in over a decade, and twice the rate of inflation. Unemployment continues to tumble, seeing its lowest levels in 45 years, and the last year saw over 300,000 more full time jobs than a year ago. All despite Brexit…

New ONS methodology revealed today has shown the UK economy is actually £26 billion larger than economists previously thought, having revised up 2016 GDP growth by 1.3%. Surely the biggest #DespiteBrexit story of them all.

The new methodology focuses on costs faced by businesses, it also changes the way assets such as buildings and machinery are measured, giving “significantly improved estimates of how money moves around the UK economy”. There’s also good news for Gordon Brown’s legacy, as the new figures show the recession tanked the economy by a mere 6%, not the 6.3% previously thought…

Universities Minister Jo Johnson announced that this year more international students are coming to study at UK universities. Despite that nasty Brexit…

Fears over the damaged Whaley Bridge dam this week haven’t left the people of Derbyshire with much to cheer, particularly during unwanted visits from the Labour leader. At least they’ve now got some positive economic news that Derby-based train manufacturer Bombardier have won a £2.34 billion contract to make trains for the Cairo monorail, beating off Pharoah-cious competition from Chinese and Malaysian firms. Remainers still in de-Nile while Bombardier’s own Project Fear warnings get confined to the tomb of history…

It comes less than a week after Hitachi Rail announced a £400m investment in their County Durham plant. The good news just keeps Tutan-khamin’…

UK fintech growth is at record levels this year: UK fintech startups have already managed to secure £2.34 billion of investment in the first six months of 2019 – despite the expectation that Brexit would happen in March. The sector is well on course to smash last year’s record of £2.66 billion.

It comes just after yesterday’s ONS figures showed wages rising at 3.6%, the fastest rate since 2008, while unemployment is at a 45-year low and inflation is steady at its target of 2%. Still waiting for Osborne’s “immediate and profound” economic shock…

The Japanese Government have been doing their best to stoke fears over No Deal, the foreign minister threatened both Hunt and Boris over it last week. Meanwhile Japanese businesses are just getting on with investing in the UK. Japanese telecoms giant NTT Corporation has announced that they’re opening a new global HQ for their international subsidiary in London. NTT Corp has an annual revenue of over $100 billion a year and currently employs 40,000 people. The new London-based subsidiary merges three companies into an $11 billion business. Hardly running scared of a No Deal Brexit…

NTT Corp President and CEO Jun Sawada said their commitment to the UK remains “extremely strong” and that they made a “deliberate decision” to choose London after considering several locations:

“It has many benefits, including a stable economy, wealth of skills and talent, diversity in population and thinking, strong infrastructure, schools and housing for global talent moving to the city. In short, it’s a great city to live and work in, and we’re excited that we are making it the home for our new business”.

None of which is going to change after the UK says sayonara to the EU…

https://order-order.com/tag/despite-brexit/
Last edited by Blackleaf; 3 weeks ago at 09:19 AM..

taxslave
Free Thinker
Good for Britain. No chance of that factory surviving without subsidies.
On another bright note Germany canceled subsidies to the wind power industry causing them shut down thousands of bird killers. Only question now is will taxpayers be on the hook for cleaning up these environmental disasters.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Tesla needs a factory in Europe in order to avoid all the problems with importing cars into that jurisdiction.
BY removing themselves from the eu the UK has obviously removed themselves from that equation.

It's Remainer-caused Brexit UNCERTAINTY which led to the decision, not Brexit.

Still, if Tesla wants to bypass booming Britain - a Britain which tops the world for FDI, which it has more of than Germany and France COMBINED - and opt for a Germany on the brink of recession, so be it.

Blackleaf
https://youtu.be/ScP_fDi5YIw

Blackleaf

New figures published by the ONS show Britain’s gross contributions to the EU have increased to a whopping £398 million-per-week. When excluding VAT & GNI adjustments, this is up by 8.5% from 2017 to 2018 (exclude VAT & GNI adjustments). Boris and Cummings have their new campaign slogan (above)…

https://order-order.com/section/euro-guido/

Hoid
You're on ignore

I don't appreciate having to look at a ****ing swastika every day you pathetic piece of shit

Blackleaf

You're on ignore
I don't appreciate having to look at a ****ing swastika every day you pathetic piece of shit

You should thank yourself lucky you're not a Hindu, then.

Girth
[QUOTE=Blackleaf;2789830]

You're on ignore
I don't appreciate having to look at a ****ing swastika every day you pathetic piece of shit/QUOTE]
You should thank yourself lucky you're not a Hindu, then.

I just wanted to say that even though I hate what the swastika represents, I will defend your right to use it as an avatar. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech in Canada, as long as we adhere to the laws of Canada.

Blackleaf
How would these snowflakes get on watching a war movie?

"Bloody hell! Turn the channel over, love. I find that swastika we're seeing on Schindler's List to be highly offensive. Such a symbol should never be shown in the media!" Snowflakes.

Of course, it's not just the swastika which some see as highly offensive. The EU flag is, too - and I have them both in my avatar.

Many people around the world don't see the Swastika as offensive. To Hindus and Sikhs it's an important symbol, meaning "well-being". Ancient Britons used it, too.

The Swastika Stone sits at Woodhouse Crag above Ilkley and overlooking Wharfe Valley

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

India House, London