O'LEARY BOAT TRAGEDY: Loved ones mourn, want answers after American killed

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

O'Leary through his wife under the planing hull.
He's as classy as Trump!

The first thing that popped out of O'Leary's mouth was "My wife was at the helm" which immediately made me suspicious that she wasn't. They should have measured the blood alcohol of everyone in both boats.

You Russian colluders really suck Mr Fakenews CUCK HOLE STAR.

Quote:

Police also charged New York resident Richard Ruh, 57, with failing to exhibit a navigation light

You can sure tell Yorgie never sailed a boat in his a hole lyin life. The only class you have yorgie weener is low.

Johnnny
When I cruise at night I just troll back to my spot. I've only boated 3 times at night in the last year and I know the depths and whose drunk pretty well.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

When I cruise at night I just troll back to my spot. I've only boated 3 times at night in the last year and I know the depths and whose drunk pretty well.

I sailed a series of double handed "300" mile races on Lake Ontario, back in the early 1990s (you actually end up sailing about 450 miles). They were "all sails" races in big keel boats and essentially single handed races as your partner was usually sleeping when you were sailing. Night sailing in conditions like that is bizarre ... when you're fatigued, maybe wet and a bit cold. You start to halucinate and everyone does. The key is to keep the presence of mind to know when you're halucinating.

This was just before the GPS era and we were relying on a capricious Loran technology to keep us oriented. It's quite easy to talk yourself into navigational errors when you're fatigued and I know of at least one competitor who sailed on a reciprocal course (180 deg. in the other direction) for a whole night. We called him "Wrong Way" forever more.

Running into other boats was always a possibility, although you tend to spread yourself out over such a large body of water. Being run down by freighters is a district danger and I had a couple of close shaves. Two racers might have died that way one year although the Coast Guard's report was inconclusive. Sailing at night is not easy. Power boats travel very fast and you must be EXTREMELY ALERT to do that. Any sort of substance use is STRICTLY VERBOTTEN in a busy waterway, especially at night.

DaSleeper

I sailed a series of double handed "300" mile races on Lake Ontario, back in the early 1990s (you actually end up sailing about 450 miles). They were "all sails" races in big keel boats and essentially single handed races as your partner was usually sleeping when you were sailing. Night sailing in conditions like that is bizarre ... when you're fatigued, maybe wet and a bit cold. You start to halucinate and everyone does. The key is to keep the presence of mind to know when you're halucinating.

This was just before the GPS era and we were relying on a capricious Loran technology to keep us oriented. It's quite easy to talk yourself into navigational errors when you're fatigued and I know of at least one competitor who sailed on a reciprocal course (180 deg. in the other direction) for a whole night. We called him "Wrong Way" forever more.

Running into other boats was always a possibility, although you tend to spread yourself out over such a large body of water. Being run down by freighters is a district danger and I had a couple of close shaves. Two racers might have died that way one year although the Coast Guard's report was inconclusive. Sailing at night is not easy. Power boats travel very fast and you must be EXTREMELY ALERT to do that. Any sort of substance use is STRICTLY VERBOTTEN in a busy waterway, especially at night.

I got my first hand held gps in 1991.......it simply gave your location in latitude and longitude and since maps were in utm co-ordinates, or vice versa.... you needed to carry a calculator and ruler and and a compass to get to where you wanted to go ....and don't forget spare batteries...

Johnnny
Deleted

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I got my first hand held gps in 1991.......it simply gave your location in latitude and longitude and since maps were in utm co-ordinates, or vice versa.... you needed to carry a calculator and ruler and and a compass to get to where you wanted to go ....and don't forget spare batteries...

They were around and some boaters had them. A curious thing happened in 1991 with those early GPSs. During the First Gulf War, the American military de-tuned the civilian GPS network, I guess so that Sadam's great rocket fleet couldn't make use of their chips as guidance systems. Anyway, a GPS that at the time that was accurate to within about four feet was dumbed down to about 100 foot resolution.

The GPS sets were pretty dear and we all had a too much dough tied up in our Loran sets, so we didn't stampede to the stores to buy them until a few years later. That was another big waste of money, seeing as how you get one built into the humblest phone or car, these days.

Do remember, though that GPS is suceptible to intentional manipulation, hacking, military attack and, most the likely one to shut it down, big solar storms. You still have to know how to navigate like Magellan, did.

My father, by the way, was a WWII Coastal Command pilot flying in the Indian Ocean and they used to patrol back and forth across the Equator in complex box search zig-zags, 18 hours at a stretch with zero electronic navigational aids. It was all done with dead reconning, sextant sun and star shots and tip-top math done without computers by hand and head. He was a great mathematician all of his life and eventually became a Statistician.

Hoof Hearted
I've never been to sea, but I've been blown ashore. (rim shot)

Danbones
+1
Hopefully, NOT bi Kaptain 'Eyeliner!

Ah....rimmer!...

*Dirp!*

spaminator
O'LEARY TRAGEDY: Shark Tank star's wife now facing fine, not jail time, after fatal boat crash
Reuters
Published:
October 11, 2019
Updated:
October 11, 2019 1:27 PM EDT
Businessman and television personality Kevin O'Leary and his wife Linda arrive at the 2014 Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscar Party in West Hollywood, California March 2, 2014.GUS RUELAS / REUTERS
TORONTO — The wife of Shark Tank star Kevin O’Leary is now facing a fine and no jail time after she was charged with careless operation of a vehicle following a boat crash that caused two deaths and three injuries, Canadian prosecutors said on Friday.
Linda O’Leary was charged two weeks ago for the crash, which took place in late August in Muskoka, a part of Ontario popular for its lakeside cottages.
Police originally said the maximum penalty she faced was a C$1 million fine and 18 months in jail, but the Public Prosecution Service of Canada said on Friday they “reconsidered the position” and reduced it to a C$10,000 fine.
Kevin O'Leary's wife, other driver charged in fatal Muskoka boat crash
O'LEARY TRAGEDY: Shark Tank star reportedly hires top legal eagle
KEVIN O'LEARY: Cops tight-lipped on fatal boat crash probe
Brian Greenspan, O’Leary’s lawyer, could not be reached for comment.
Linda O’Leary will appear in court on Oct 29.
The driver of the second boat, Richard Ruh, 57, of Orchard Park, New York, was also charged with failing to exhibit navigation lights, but Ruh is not required to make a court appearance as it was a lesser charge, the police said.
http://torontosun.com/news/national/...tal-boat-crash

spaminator
Kevin O'Leary, wife being sued for wrongful death in boat crash
Postmedia News
Published:
November 6, 2019
Updated:
November 6, 2019 12:31 PM EST
Businessman and television personality Kevin O'Leary and his wife Linda arrive at the 2014 Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscar Party in West Hollywood, California March 2, 2014.GUS RUELAS / REUTERS
Bombastic Shark Tank star Kevin O’Leary and his wife, Linda, are being sued for wrongful death by the family of one of the victims in last summer’s crash in Muskoka.
On Aug. 24, Linda O’Leary was driving a boat on Lake Joseph when it crashed into another boat just before midnight.
Retired accountant Gary Poltash, 64, of Florida, and Susanne Brito, 48, of Uxbridge, were both killed.
Three others were hospitalized but later released.
Uxbridge mother Suzana Brito, right, and American Gary Poltash are pictured in Muskoka. Both died after an Aug. 24, 2019 boating accident involving celebrity businessman Kevin O’Leary. (GoFundMe)
In late September, the OPP charged Linda O’Leary with careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act. It is not a criminal charge, and if found guilty, she will be fined but not jailed.
Story continues below
Now, Susanne Brito’s parents, Rosa and Antonio Ragone, and sister Paula Brito are taking action against the O’Learys. The family is seeking punitive, exemplary and aggravated damages for wrongful death.
Also being sued is Richard Ruh, the driver of the other boat, who the OPP charged with failure to exhibit a navigation light while underway, and Irv Edwards, the vessel’s owner.
“For this grieving family, it is about obtaining civil justice so as to prevent these types of deaths and curtailing reckless and dangerous behaviour from continuing on our lakes,” Patrick Brown, of law firm McLeish Orlando LLP, said in a news release.
A funeral was held for Suzana Vieira Brito, 48, at Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Uxbridge on Saturday, Aug. 31, 2019. The mother of three is one of two victims killed in a boat crash in Muskoka a week earlier. (Jack Boland/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network)
The statement quoted the dead woman’s mother, Rosa: “Our family has lost a beautiful, loving person. We are devastated. We sincerely hope that through this process, that justice is served and that steps are taken so that innocent victims like Suzie, are not seriously injured and killed and that other families do not have to go through such pain and loss.”
Linda O’Leary’s case is next set to be heard on Nov. 21.
Initially, prosecutors, said O’Leary faced a maximum penalty of 18-months’ imprisonment and a $1-million fine.
Shark Tank star's wife now facing fine, not jail time
http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...ther-of-victim
But that interpretation of the Shipping Act was challenged by Brian Greenspan, O’Leary’s lawyer, and prosecutors later amended their view to say O’Leary faces a maximum $10,000 fine and no jail time.
The O’Learys are longtime summer residents of Lake Joseph, a playground for celebrities, sports stars and the country’s financial elite.
http://torontosun.com/news/provincia...-in-boat-crash

spaminator
Kevin O'Leary's wife allegedly had alcohol on her breath after deadly boating crash
Sam Pazzano Courts Bureau
Published:
November 27, 2019
Updated:
November 27, 2019 9:27 AM EST
Uxbridge mother Suzana Brito, right, and American Gary Poltash are pictured in Muskoka. Both died after an Aug. 24, 2019 boating accident involving celebrity businessman Kevin O'Leary. (GoFundMe)
The wife of entrepreneur and media personality Kevin O’Leary allegedly had alcohol on her breath after a fatal crash involving a boat she was driving in Ontario cottage country last summer, stated recently-unsealed court documents obtained by CBC News.
“Mrs. Linda O’Leary was administered an alcohol screening device test and registered an alert. She was subsequently served a three-day driver’s licence suspension,” Ontario Provincial Police allege in the search documents compiled the day after the Aug. 24, 2019 collision at Lake Joseph — southeast of Parry Sound.
Linda O’Leary asserted she consumed a drink of vodka after the tragedy and before the breath test. She could not recall who gave her the vodka drink, the CBC reported.
Businessman and television personality Kevin O’Leary and his wife Linda arrive at the 2014 Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscar Party in West Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. GUS RUELAS / REUTERS
Her lawyer, Brian Greenspan, said his client was not drunk at the time of the crash, which was not preventable under the circumstances.
“This tragic accident had nothing to do with alcohol,” Greenspan wrote in an email to the Toronto Sun on Tuesday night.
“Linda O’Leary was not impaired; she is a highly experienced boater who was proceeding cautiously with due care and attention. She collided with a totally unlit boat on a moonless night which was invisible to any prudent operator. No one could have avoided the collision,” he said.
Kevin O’Leary driving one of his boats on Lake Joseph back in 2013. (YouTube/Screengrab)
Linda O’Leary’s blood-alcohol level was not divulged in the documents.
The documents say retired accountant Gary Poltash and Suzana Brito “suffered severe head trauma” in the 11:30 p.m collision and died. Poltash, 64, was from Florida, and Brito, 48, was from Uxbridge, Ont.
Linda O’Leary is charged with careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act. If convicted, she could face a $10,000 fine. Richard Ruh was driving the other boat and is charged with failing to exhibit a navigation light while underway.
Kevin O'Leary, wife being sued for wrongful death in boat crash
Prominent Toronto lawyer Mark Sandler, who represents Ruh, said his client will contest the charge against him. He refused to comment on evidence at this time but “will do so of course in court.”
Police originally asked that the search warrant applications be sealed to “protect the integrity of the police investigation” and because they believed Kevin O’Leary’s high-profile would attract media attention, the CBC reported.
CBC News filed an application to rescind that sealing order, and on Monday the court granted the request.
The O’Leary case will be back in court on Jan. 16.
spazzano@postmedia.com
http://torontosun.com/news/provincia...-boating-crash