Man is becoming obsolete.

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Are you gay or straight male, that may soon become a moot question.

What makes a man a man? Socially, that is a complicated question. Genetically, however, it is as simple as a single Y chromosome .

Will End of Men Imminent? Y Chromosomes Rapidly Losing Genes According to Study - ABC News

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...that started before BOB the Blue Dolphin.

Seriously, do they know what happens when the gene pool gets down to three manufactured ones?

earth_as_one
I don't see a problem here. Having children is hereditary. If your parents didn't have children, its unlikely you will have children.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

I don't see a problem here. Having children is hereditary. If your parents didn't have children, its unlikely you will have children.

That would follow within the reasoning, yes. lol

darkbeaver
Republican
It happened to me a few years ago, I didn't know it was contagious though.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Are you gay or straight male, that may soon become a moot question.

What makes a man a man? Socially, that is a complicated question. Genetically, however, it is as simple as a single Y chromosome .

Will End of Men Imminent? Y Chromosomes Rapidly Losing Genes According to Study - ABC News

I can't see guys disappearing anytime soon. Mine has about 30 years to go. Our oldest's bf has about 60 to go. My nephew has about 75 to go.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
in a few millenia, the article says. Gee, big worry there, considering the earth probably won't sustain human life that long due to sun expansion. Adios humanity either way.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

in a few millenia, the article says. Gee, big worry there, considering the earth probably won't sustain human life that long due to sun expansion. Adios humanity either way.

Exactly! We can barely plan for 2 decades away, let alone a thousand. Waaaaay too many variables.

Machjo
Two decades? It's tough enough getting politicians to plan 4 years ahead! And you're talking decades? Our politicians can't see that far.

gerryh
from the end of the article.

Quote:

In other words, men will not fade away, even if their Y chromosomes do.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

from the end of the article.

Yep, that's a feeling I started getting after I passed age 60.

earth_as_one
The referenced article in the first post in this string defies critical thought. Sterility can't be inherited....

Please explain how a sterile man with a defective Y chromosome is able to pass that bad chromosome on to the next generation of males...

Yes they can father females, but no males and therefore that's the end of the line for that defective Y chromosome. So this article fails a logic test.
Last edited by earth_as_one; Aug 13th, 2009 at 05:53 PM..

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Two decades? It's tough enough getting politicians to plan 4 years ahead! And you're talking decades? Our politicians can't see that far.

Politicians, yeah. Most can't see past their noses. But most people aren't pols.

AnnaG

The referenced article in the first post in this string defies critical thought. Sterility can't be inherited....

Please explain how a sterile man with a defective Y chromosome is able to pass that bad chromosome on to the next generation....

Sterility? All it would take is for women to give birth to more girls than boys. Eventually boys would become a rarity.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Politicians, yeah. Most can't see past their noses. But most people aren't pols.

Someone told me years ago that having kids is hereditary, if your parents didn't have any kids, chances are you won't either.................

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Someone told me years ago that having kids is hereditary, if your parents didn't have any kids, chances are you won't either.................

Years ago would be post #3 in this thread? You age like a cat or a dog?

earth_as_one

Sterility? All it would take is for women to give birth to more girls than boys. Eventually boys would become a rarity.

The issue is that the human Y chromosome has few functional genes. It used to have the same number as the Y chromosome, but over time (millennia), its been shedding genes.

Every so often, a man is born with a mutation on their Y chromosome which causes them to not be able to produce fertile sons. But men with functional Y's can produce fertile sons. So the fertile Y proceeds to the next generation while the defective sterile Y comes to a dead end.

Eventually this process will reach the point where the Y chromosome has shed every unnecessary gene. But it can't go beyond that point while men are required for reproduction.

However its possible that in the future women with medical intervention could reproduce without men. In which case, men and the Y chromosome could become obsolete.

AnnaG

The issue is that the human Y chromosome has few functional genes. Every so often, a man is born with a mutation on their Y chromosome which causes them to not be able to produce sons. But men with function Y's can produce sons. So their Y proceeds to the next generation and the defective Y comes to a dead end.

Eventually this process will evolve to the point where the Y chromosome has shed every unnecessary gene. But it can't go beyond that point while men are required for reproduction.

However its possible that in the future women could sexually reproduce without men. In which case, men and the Y chromosome would become obsolete.

Last I heard was that sterility is the inability to produce whether what would be produced would have x chomosomes or the pair (or "z"s for all that matters. ) .

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
If man becomes obsolete then it stands to reason that the human species will end as we know it, and as you say "the future women (should then be person) could sexually reproduce without men. In which case, men and the Y chromosome would become obsolete."

AnnaG
British scientists at Newcastle wrote about creating synthetic sperm in the journal "Stem Cells and Development". It was reported in Science or SciAm. They said it''ll take a few years before they have it perfected.

Okay, it was American Scientist I guess. https://www.americanscientist.org/sc...le-infertility

BBC NEWS | Health | Scientists claim sperm 'first'
Last edited by AnnaG; Aug 13th, 2009 at 06:48 PM..

Goober
Free Thinker

British scientists at Newcastle wrote about creating synthetic sperm in the journal "Stem Cells and Development". It was reported in Science or SciAm. They said it''ll take a few years before they have it perfected.

Well hope it can cut the grass, fix a leaky toilet or shxits gonna fly.

earth_as_one
Women don't have a Y chromosome. Women have an XX pair, while men have XY pair. A defective Y would only affect men.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Well hope it can cut the grass, fix a leaky toilet or shxits gonna fly.

lol We'll have robots for that.

AnnaG

Women don't have a Y chromosome. Women have an XX pair, while men have XY pair. A defective Y would only affect men.

Ordinarily. lol Although some "men" I have doubts about. Are you suggesting that I was wrong or something? Men with Y chromasomes that have shed a couple genes can reproduce, you know. It's just that they'll likely have girls as offspring.

Nuggler
Man is becoming obsolete

my wife tells me that every day.

.........go figure.

gerryh

Ordinarily. lol Although some "men" I have doubts about. Are you suggesting that I was wrong or something? Men with Y chromasomes that have shed a couple genes can reproduce, you know. It's just that they'll likely have girls as offspring.

Explain how you come up with this, because I can't see it.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Years ago would be post #3 in this thread? You age like a cat or a dog?

No- I actually think someone told me they got it off some comedian on the Ed Sullivan show. It was when I first started working for the Gov't. about 1964.

earth_as_one
"Y chromosomes with defective male-specific genes, especially those involved in sperm production, are unlikely to reproduce and pass on those genes to their sons, which knocks highly defective chromosomes out of the gene pool. Genetic changes that do not favor reproduction are likely to get weeded out of the system."

So I am wrong.

Men with defective Y's have problems fathering children of both sexes. Their daughters are normal, but their sons will inherit their father's fertility problems. Mutated badly enough and the man is sterile and they can't father children of either sex, due to low sperm production.

AnnaG

"Y chromosomes with defective male-specific genes, especially those involved in sperm production, are unlikely to reproduce and pass on those genes to their sons, which knocks highly defective chromosomes out of the gene pool. Genetic changes that do not favor reproduction are likely to get weeded out of the system."

So I am wrong.

Men with defective Y's have problems fathering children of both sexes. Their daughters are normal, but their sons will inherit their father's fertility problems. Mutated badly enough and the man is sterile and they can't father children of either sex, due to low sperm production.

Well, me too, in a sense. I said they'd be more likely to have girls, which isn't necessarily true. The girls will more likely to be normal than the boys.

AnnaG
There should be some way to delete a post.