Justin Trudeau delivers emotional, tearful tribute to Gord Downie

mentalfloss
+1

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said a few words of condolences Wednesday morning for the lead singer of the Tragically Hip, Gord Downie, who passed away from brain cancer on Tuesday night at age 53.

Visibly shaken, Trudeau praised Downie and the music he created with his band, noting the impact he had on Canadians from coast to coast.

“Gord was my friend,” said a tearful Trudeau. “But he was everyone’s friend … our buddy Gord, who loved this country with everything he had. And not just with a nebulous ‘Oh, I love Canada’ way, he loved every hidden corner, every story, every aspect of this country that he celebrated his whole life.”

Trudeau and Downie were friends, indeed. The pair had many notable public meetings and shared many hugs.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3810655/j...downie-speech/

55Mercury
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said a few words of condolences Wednesday morning for the lead singer of the Tragically Hip, Gord Downie, who passed away from brain cancer on Tuesday night at age 53.

Visibly shaken, Trudeau praised Downie and the music he created with his band, noting the impact he had on Canadians from coast to coast.

“Gord was my friend,” said a tearful Trudeau. “But he was everyone’s friend … our buddy Gord, who loved this country with everything he had. And not just with a nebulous ‘Oh, I love Canada’ way, he loved every hidden corner, every story, every aspect of this country that he celebrated his whole life.”

Trudeau and Downie were friends, indeed. The pair had many notable public meetings and shared many hugs.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3810655/j...downie-speech/

Is this the 'Official' Justin-Trudeau-delivers-emotional-tearful-tribute-to-Gord-Downie thread?

No?

Merge!

Durry
Selfie Boy should speak for himself, he does not speak for me nor did the TH.

Hoid
+1
Where were all these tears for Stompin Tom?

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
Trudeau's words would probably have more impact if he also hadn't gotten all emotional over Castro's death.

And if one really listens to the Tragically Hip, a number of their songs are very "Canadiana", something that Trudeau is trying desperately to destroy.

That being said, Downie's death is a sad loss. He was a talented performer and gifted songwriter. He will be missed by many. RIP Gord.

Twila
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
It was a very moving speech. Well spoken Mr. Trudeau. It is a very sad day...

Retired_Can_Soldier
I don't much care for the PM, but I am sure his words and thoughts were genuine.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Where were all these tears for Stompin Tom?

Who?